Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it worth starting an N64 Collection?

Neo*Geomancer

Is it worth starting an N64 Collection?

So Iíve got this new "e-waste recycling center" by me now and Iíve been fixating on the N64. From what I can tell thereís less than 20 worthwhile games for the system so I could only go for these C-grade titles. But Iíve never played one. Anyone here super fucking amped about playing N64? Is it worth dropping around $2.00 on? Iíd love to hear both sides. Weighing my pros and cons here.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    Yes it is, obviously. Out of the nearly 300 titles on the system, you can probably have a pretty pared down collection of just the essentials with around 200 or so games. There are a number of sports titles you can skip.
    >

Long Dong Silver.

Can't you just emulate the 3 or 4 actual good games by now?

Baxter McMuggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzytaco View Post
    Can't you just emulate the 3 or 4 actual good games by now?
    in all fairness, those 3 or 4 good games are some of the best/most important in videogaming history. thus yes. I think it is worth it. the machine, a cart based 3d system, is a rare thing comparatively, and the controller = first outing for analog and rumble. if you take collecting seriously (not hoarding, picking up things that have meaning) then yes. but to me this applies across the board. I know this is a parody thread btw
    Last edited by DevilRedeemed; 10-29-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    Igs waz here

"That's Phat"
    Fred Durst, VMAs 2000

Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyo View Post
    Is it worth dropping around $2.00 on?
    Yes.

I rarely play mine tbh but you'll get more value out of it compared to the $2 you spend on your crack whore.

World's Greatest Poster Dr Shroom's Avatar
    Well some people collect jars of piss, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Is there no moderation, anywhere on this entire site?

NAM-75 Vet
    Leaving the games themselves aside for a minute, any decent wireless options in terms of the controller?

I was Born This Ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    Leaving the games themselves aside for a minute, any decent wireless options in terms of the controller?
    Actually, yes...there is. Take any old N64 controller, cut the cord off (make sure to make the cut right at the back of the controller)... done. It actually improves the performance of the thing.
    Got so butthurt, had to have anal surgery...

Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    Actually, yes...there is. Take any old N64 controller, cut the cord off (make sure to make the cut right at the back of the controller)... done. It actually improves the performance of the thing.

I got all N64 JPN & US titles I want so I have no regret

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Snake View Post
    Are there any worthwhile games not compatible with the everdrive 64, like with the SNES? or is it like with the genesis where all cool games work fine?
    Last edited by aha2940; 10-29-2017 at 11:40 PM.

NAM-75 Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    Yep. That is the right answer.

Anyways, so I had a look around and found this.

Gameplay wise, seems not too bad, from what I've read. Some complain the joystick feels weird and stiff, others say it's fine. Can't find much info with regard to possible lag issues.

One major problem with it though, apparently the thing doesn't recognize the memory pak. It's described as supporting it but folks who have bought it say otherwise.

No rumble feature either.

The rumble cannot be felt because the rumble pak is not attached to the controller. They made it so that you connect it to the wireless receiver.
    Instead, the battery pak for the controller goes where the rumble pak should go.

Cham Cham's Banana
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shroom View Post
    Well some people collect jars of piss, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Snake View Post
    Me too - zero.
    Spice god of Borneo...

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post

The rumble cannot be felt because the rumble pak is not attached to the controller. They made it so that you connect it to the wireless receiver.
    Instead, the battery pak for the controller goes where the rumble pak should go.
    Just another example of how retarded the 64 and it's followers are.

For the tunes lovers!

Likes Football.
    Lives in teh USA.
    Go Figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by aha2940 View Post
    Are there any worthwhile games not compatible with the everdrive 64, like with the SNES? or is it like with the genesis where all cool games work fine?
    It used to be where Banjo-Tooie wasn't compatible, and there issues with the Animal Crossing game, but both seem to have been resolved with newer versions of the ED64.

Also, THQ made some of the best wrestling games
    Take a bite out of crime.

I was Born This Ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by joala View Post

Me too - zero.
    Paper Mario...which is an outstanding game.

Maybe Mario Golf...or tennis...or Kart...but I haven't played those in years, so possibly they have aged so poorly that they're not worth playing anymore.
    Got so butthurt, had to have anal surgery...

Playa'
    About all I ever play are the wrestling games and I would say it's worth it for just those.

It's Time Us Welsh
    Stood on our own 2 feet
    WEL_SHIT!
    PS. FOOK teh EU!
    Bangai-o is a cool N64 game by treasure, the dreamcast version is way better IMO, but i'm a little suprised that it's not mentioned very much when people start to talk about the N64 game library.
    Suffer's with slowdown but it's hardly suprising considering how much is going on, on screen.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Bangai-o is a cool N64 game by treasure, the dreamcast version is way better IMO, but i'm a little suprised that it's not mentioned very much when people start to talk about the N64 game library.
    Suffer's with slowdown but it's hardly suprising considering how much is going on, on screen.
    You just said it. The Dreamcast version is better. Any game that was on both Consoles, just assume the better version is the Dreamcast version. To even put the Dreamcast and N64 in the same sentence is nothing but wrong.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    The Dreamcast killed Sega, the N64 breathed new life into Nintendo as a company and cemented their reputation as the leading game console developer.
    >

It's Time Us Welsh
    Stood on our own 2 feet
    WEL_SHIT!
    PS. FOOK teh EU!
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_HOE! View Post
    You just said it. The Dreamcast version is better. Any game that was on both Consoles, just assume the better version is the Dreamcast version. To even put the Dreamcast and N64 in the same sentence is nothing but wrong.
    Yeah i gotta agree with you but it's still a good game even on the limited capabilites of the N64.
    Pretty expensive to pick up on the N64 i'd have though now, jap only relese and limited print run ???.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    The Dreamcast killed Sega, the N64 breathed new life into Nintendo as a company and cemented their reputation as the leading game console developer.
    The Saturn killed Sega. Had the Saturn not been overshadowed by the PlayStation and its superior 3d games, the anticipation for the DC would have been stronger. Once the Ps2 came out, it was the final nail in the coffin for Sega.

Looking back at it now, I'm glad they stuck to their arcade roots. Yea, it sucks because they stopped making consoles but those 2d arcade games on the Saturn and Dreamcast are still a ton of fun, look good, aged well. Wish I could say the same about the 3d games on the N64 and Psone.
    Last edited by RAZO; 10-30-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    The Saturn was overshadowed by both the PSX and the N64. I didn't know anyone who had a Saturn back when it was out. Maybe some IRC nerds I knew, but nobody in real life. And of course late 2D games look better than first gen 3D, but 3D had to start somewhere. And it started with Super Mario 64 and Nintendo's brilliant controller.
    >

Amano's Drinking Buddy

Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    The Saturn was overshadowed by both the PSX and the N64. I didn't know anyone who had a Saturn back when it was out. Maybe some IRC nerds I knew, but nobody in real life. And of course late 2D games look better than first gen 3D, but 3D had to start somewhere. And it started with Super Mario 64 and Nintendo's brilliant controller.
    It was overshadowed by the Ps1. I don't count the the N64 since it came out 2 years after. The N64 was in a league of its own because it was the only 64 bit system I think at the time. Looking back at all the successful consoles from the current gen till the 8bit gen, the N64 games have aged the worst. #justfacts sorry bud.

Why bother collecting for that system. Just get a everdrive and enjoy the 4 or 5 decent games it has to offer.
    Last edited by RAZO; 10-30-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Thread Information