Art of Fighting 3 is horrible, right?

Snakealpha

n00b
Yeah, maybe you already talked about this, but for me it was something new. Let me tell you a story and we can discuss later xD

AoF 1 and 2 were two amazing fighting games, by that time. I remember it was not difficult to find both arcades, maybe the gameplay is wasnt polished enough comparing to Street Fighter II, but the graphics were ohhhhhhh yeah! And you have a lot of fun, every punch hurting the character,the zoom, the special moves and the satisfaction finishing the trickster IA...

When AoF 3 was released, I was busy playing other SNK and Capcom games so I did not pay attention to the game...until now.

I recently purchased the Art of Fighting Anthology for Ps4 and it was my first time with the 3rd installment. But...for god sake...its horrible! Even when it was released, this game was bullshit probably.

CHARACTERS

Charism -5 for every character. Except for Ryo and Robert, the rest are mostly poor designed and nobody remember anyone now. Backgrounds are good, that´s a point, but its impossible not to forget characters "random" like Karman Cole.

Maybe they tried the "New generation" style but, oh my god, I hate these characters.

GAMEPLAY

The movements are like, super weird, gameplay is even worse than the "simple" AoF as every move is taking toooooo much to be done and you dont feel the game is polished. Okey, I can buy that most of animation looks excellent, but the "collision detection" is kinda strange and dissapointing.

The combo system is a meh and the satisfaction is theorical, as for me this game is not funny at all (and I´m not talking about difficulty). I´m really enjoying playing AoF 1 and 2 (even with the "IA cheater" stuff) but this game was garbage now and then.

I could not resist this infamous game so I needed to create something to talk about it. Now I understand why the franchise is dead and forgotten....

What do you think about this game?
Was this game the reason SNK basically killed the franchise forever? It was a flop in Arcades?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think you should probably PM Rot for his opinion.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Good game but i still prefer the first,best in the series!!!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Horrible is a Strong word. The game is far from Horrible. I'm a big fan of the first one as well.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Horrible is a Strong word. The game is far from Horrible.

+1

art of fighting 3 is the most approachable out of the three games and stands unique in the neo library.

i agree that aof 3 had some generic and bland looking characters, but most of them play well. the controls are great and i love the fact that robert is the main character this time around.

art of fighting 2 is one of my fave neo games ever, but the third game, although very different, is more balanced.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Arts 1 was a perfect 10. I loved it & still play it to this day. I can 1CC it.
Arts 2 is alright, but, the ridiculously hard difficulty killed that game. No fun.
Arts 3 is visually nice, but unplayable. Play control SUCKS. It was just eye candy back then.

Series died. Game Over.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Arts 1 was a perfect 10. I loved it & still play it to this day. I can 1CC it.

AOF1 is probably my most played Neo Game. One of my favorite fighting games on the Neo.

I find 2 to be just too damn difficult.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I'm not sure why they tried to replicate 3D style gameplay with the 3rd one but the very long knockdowns a la Virtua Fighter totally ruined the game for me. It would have been quite good otherwise.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
AOF1>AOF3>AOF2
I can appreciate AOF3 for what it is.It took a little time to grow on me<I'm a fan now>.My only gripe would be with the small roster.I would have loved to see Jack and King make a return.
BB

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Art of Fighting 3 demands a different approach, that's all. If your mentality is incapable of committing to to it, than it's not the game's fault.

The sudden rise of the 3rd dimension in video games forced SNK to do several bold experiments within their beloved 2D playground. The use of pre-rendered graphics in Pulstar, Blazing Star, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad tried to catch up with audience expectations on a pure visual level, but AoF3 choose a more radical concept: it adapted gameplay mechanics from a 3D versus fighter, at the same time presenting one of the best sprite-based graphics the industry have seen so far. A strong contrast, which spread to the players and similarly tore their opinions about this game apart.

So, I agree, if you play Art of Fighting 3 like your regular SFII clone, then it's unplayable, a full bird Himitsu Bako. Just like Shin Oh Ken, another applied 3D experiment, which demands you to take it's subtitle "Aerial Battle" seriously. But then again, if you try to play Shogi like Chess, don't blame the game for remaining unplayable to you.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Best game in the series, also Kasumi.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
AOF 2 is my favorite. 3 looks great but it's not nearly as fun.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I'm a big fan of the game.
*) The stages: Many details, sometimes hillarious scenes like the fight in front of a fighting pit, where the whole crowd in the background ignores you to watch a cage match of two boring everyday fighters, while absolutely no one is interested in the fireballs that get thrown in the front.
*) High parry (I like "active blocks")
*) Funny details: Kasumi Todoh knocks you down, remembers that she forgot something, gets out her dictionary and reads up on how to insult you

AOF1 + 2 are interesting/good in themselves but feel more like a "2D puzzle fighter" (where you have to have godly reflexes or work out the way to beat each opponent by finding a specific strategy) - AoF3 is more approachable but keeps a unique fighter style.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think serious fighting fans who really pay attention to mechanics were disappointed when it was released. I remember being in a used game store where someone sold back their NGCD version shortly after it was released, indicating it was not what he was hoping for.

Personally, the graphics, gameplay, music and theme are so unique that I'm really glad it got made. The fact that SNK was able to make something so advanced and were willing to take a chance on it speaks volumes for a company that was on top of its game. It's far from perfect though.

Last edited:

Snakealpha

n00b
I´m sorry, I tried yesterday the story mode and still think this game is garbage compared to AoF1 or AoF 2 (even with the stupid difficulty)

FACT 1) The IA doesnt know how to jump. I finished the entire game and the IA jumped 2 times. It´s horrible when you are trying to play, jumping, crouching...the normal stuff in a fighting game...but the IA decides not to jump anymore.

FACT 2) Some movements are cool, ok, SNK was doing some experiments, ok, but for god´sake...have you seen how Wyler recovers from the ground? Ace Ventura style...

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I´m sorry, I tried yesterday the story mode and still think this game is garbage compared to AoF1 or AoF 2 (even with the stupid difficulty)

FACT 1) The IA doesnt know how to jump. I finished the entire game and the IA jumped 2 times. It´s horrible when you are trying to play, jumping, crouching...the normal stuff in a fighting game...but the IA decides not to jump anymore.

FACT 2) Some movements are cool, ok, SNK was doing some experiments, ok, but for god´sake...have you seen how Wyler recovers from the ground? Ace Ventura style...

it's ok, you don't have to like everything or every game in your favourite series.

i personally think the first game is the worst in the series. for me aof 1 plays like a game of rockem sockem, but i find things to like about it, and no one here has ever heard me complain about it. if you don't like aof 3, just let it go and play the first two.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
AOF1>AOF3>AOF2
I can appreciate AOF3 for what it is.It took a little time to grow on me<I'm a fan now>.My only gripe would be with the small roster.I would have loved to see Jack and King make a return.
BB

Basically this. AOF 1 is still a great game, AOF 2 is still too damn hard, and AOF 3 is really good, but only worth playing as Ryo and Robert.

Am I the only one that has always considered all the AOF games as basically 1 player games? I couldn't imagine having fun playing with friends... I think this series main focus is Ryo and Robert, and the other playable characters were just thrown in as an afterthought to "make it a fighter".

AOF 3 is the technical mans fighter. It doesn't play as fluid as other SNK fighters, as far as D-Pad movements are concerned. The actual moves however, come out quite fluid. It's weird and robotic really, but I like what they were trying to do there. Pretty sure it was developed to be more of a realistic approach to hand-to-hand combat.

Last edited:

Tenshinhan

n00b
AOF3 is one of my favorites on the Neo Geo. I really like games that seem to push the system beyond what you would expect from a 1990 system. I was initially drawn to it's graphics and presentation (I was probably discovering these Neo games around 2000, but I was still fascinated by the extraordinary animation and beautiful colors). I was kind of frustrated by the long knockdown periods at first, but they're there to have time to build up your special gauge. I like the feel of blocking in the game (maybe because of the slower pace it's easier to know when to block), so I take a defensive approach and wait for the moments to strike, limiting my knockdowns. I have a fun time with the final boss. It feels like a tug of war of blocking and finding the right moments to strike. It's very intense. The game feels weighty and kind of grounded like a 3D fighter. The automatic combos feel like a 3D fighter too. I REALLY like how unique this game is amongst the other SNK fighting games. I place it pretty close to my other favorites on the system (Last Blade, Mark of the Wolves, King of Fighters 98/99, Metal Slug 3, etc.). It just feels like one of those advanced and unique SNK games that has a lot of passion behind it. It might be shallow to people into the technical fighting games (I have no idea). I just have a lot of fun playing it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You would have been banned for that thread 10 years ago.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
*) Funny details: Kasumi Todoh knocks you down, remembers that she forgot something, gets out her dictionary and reads up on how to insult you

She's native Japanese in the game and reads a Japanese-to-English dictionary to insult you in English.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Why couldn't you just name the thread "I suck at AOF3" instead of saying it's horrible?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
so... you're saying you hate what you don't understand? seems legit.