Is it worth starting an Atari Jaguar Collection?

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
So I’ve got this new “retro game store” by me now and I’ve been fixating on the Atari Jaguar. From what I can tell there’s less than 20 exclusives for the system so I could only go for the exclusive titles. But I’ve never played one. Anyone here super fucking amped about playing Jaguar? Is it worth dropping around $200 on? I’d love to hear both sides. Weighing my pros and cons here.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
As much as I love Tempest 2000 I'd still have to say no fucking way. There are much better things to spend $200 on.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Depends on how badly you want to play Tempest 2000. I think I got my copy for less than 10€ but could not yet bring myself to spend more than 50€ on a console. Still waiting for a bare mainboard/pcb or badly damaged console to pop up on eBay.

Try an emulator.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
So I’ve got this new “retro game store” by me now and I’ve been fixating on the Atari Jaguar. From what I can tell there’s less than 20 exclusives for the system so I could only go for the exclusive titles. But I’ve never played one. Anyone here super fucking amped about playing Jaguar? Is it worth dropping around $200 on? I’d love to hear both sides. Weighing my pros and cons here.

Nowadays, I wouldn't drop the cash on getting all those Jaguar games. I'd rather wait and get the system when the flashcart for it gets released.
I haven't been following the latest updates, but last I heard, the guy working on it was making good progress.

BTW, I don't think there was ever a time when folks were feeling super fuckin amped to play the Jaguar. :p

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
You wanna try a Jag, git you one. If you don't like it, sit on it for 6 months and you should have no probs getting your $ outta it when selling. While I'm not that fond of my Jag, there are people that enjoy em. Who's to tell you if you'd like it or not. Try it for yourself...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If you want to penetrate into the aesthetics of the ugliness and have an aversion for japanese developed electronic entertainment, then it's either that or the 3DO and you'll be more than pleased.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
If you're super stoked to play one, why not ask to test it before making your decision?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I find these type of questions somewhat ridiculous, no offense. if you've been overcome with a wish to collect whatever it is you want to collect then do it. old videogames can be brilliant or crap, but in my view it's almost irrelevant as the reason for picking them up isn't to play something necessarily wondrous but rather something old that harks back to how things used to be.
it's the object not the game. you can emulate if you want to play the game
so yes, absolutely worth it. but then it would be worth collecting banana peels if it was your thing

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Prices on Jag shit are stupid these days. There is a flash cart in development, so there is that, but if you're talking truly "collecting" it's probably not a good move.

Oh yeah, just read that other Jag thread someone linked. If you do want to get into the Jag, Best Electronics still has some of the better games loose for relatively cheap. Protector SE and Skyhammer from Songbird are worth it as well. However, it is a pricey endeavor and from a gameplay perspective the bang for the buck is lower than almost every other retro system out there. If you don't have a 32X, I'd recommend that before a Jag.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Prices on Jag shit are stupid these days. There is a flash cart in development, so there is that, but if you're talking truly "collecting" it's probably not a good move.

Oh yeah, just read that other Jag thread someone linked. If you do want to get into the Jag, Best Electronics still has some of the better games loose for relatively cheap. Protector SE and Skyhammer from Songbird are worth it as well. However, it is a pricey endeavor and from a gameplay perspective the bang for the buck is lower than almost every other retro system out there. If you don't have a 32X, I'd recommend that before a Jag.

$55 for a loose Raiden? Time to sell mine.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I appreciate all the feedback. After reading this along with discussion through messaging with someone I’m definitely going to pull the trigger on a Turbografx-16 instead. Another system I’ve wanted for a while.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I appreciate all the feedback. After reading this along with discussion through messaging with someone I’m definitely going to pull the trigger on a Turbografx-16 instead. Another system I’ve wanted for a while.

Do yourself a favor. Buy an Everdrive. TG-16 games are just lol.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Do yourself a favor. Buy an Everdrive. TG-16 games are just lol.

Absolute truth here! I enjoy mine and sadly still haven't bought one, but keep thinking about pulling the trigger. Plus, you can buy repros of some of the CD games if you decide to go that route, but be prepared to put out good money for a full set-up if you go with an American TG16 CD.

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
I used to have a Jag back in the day, and you know what? Not nearly as bad as people on the internet will tell you. I didn't even have any of the typically praised titles, but I had fun with Brutal Sports Football and Super Burnout, but I bought it as a lot at a thrift store for like $40. At that price I was happy with it.

With that said, I would NOT pay the current going price for one. I've checked eBay a couple of times out of curiosity because I'd kinda sorta like to get one again, but yeah, at the current prices, it's a hard no.

If your store just has a really kickass deal, go for it. But yeah, if it's on par with eBay price... no way.

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
I totally just learned what en Everdrive was. Wow.

I don’t know that I wanna drop hundreds right now, the cd systems are so expensive. I’m checking out some jap region systems. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/162725824526

But then I have to deal with region locked shit.

If you go the Everdrive route, it'll work on both US and Japanese systems. Also, CD games are region free. As much as any model of PC Engine goes for these days, I'd recommend a PC Engine Duo R as the most sensible "just get one system and be done with it" option. The capacitors aren't as shit as the original Duo models (though they're old enough it wouldn't hurt to replace them at this point), and you get a CD drive with built-in support for the Super CD games that normally require a special HuCard when used in original Duos and regular PCE/TG16 CD consoles. The only special system card you might ever need would be the arcade card, if you felt like checking out the few games that support it, or a Games Express card if you want to play some Japanese hentai games on CD.

The RX is literally just an R with different branding that included a 6-button controller. If you find a deal on one, it's fine, but it's not any real upgrade. You can just get a 6-button controller to use with the Duo R if you're so inclined.

If you plan on collecting and playing U.S. games, I'd just say get a U.S. console or have your PC Engine region modded. Converters are stupid expensive, unless a cheaper option has finally come around. The only thing to be on the lookout for when getting it modded is that certain types of region mods don't work with the Everdrive, for some reason.

I'm not an expert on that particular detail, as I've never looked too heavily into getting one region modded after the introduction of the Everdrive. But, I know I've heard that some region mods play nicely with the Everdrive, while others refuse to boot it at all. So, if you go that route and want an Everdrive, you'll want to look into that some more.

EDIT: Just looked at the db-electronics link; that's significantly cheaper than I realized, I remembered them going well over $100 each last time I'd looked. That's not awful, and may well be a good solution if you get the PC Engine and decide to get some official U.S. HuCards down the road.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
No Atari Jaguar is fucking stupid. I don;t know if I can call it the worst console ever, when there's stuff like the HyperScan and Game.Com in this existence, but it's pretty high up the chain of shit consoles.

Don't buy an english TG-16 CD console. They are pieces of junk, and to play the good games you need the super expensive, and rare 3.0 card. English Duo's ain't much better, unless it's recapped. It will have audio issues if not, maybe not today, but soon.

The only real option for turbo cd stuff, is a recapped PC Engine Duo, or PC Engine Duo-R/RX. The only difference being one has a 6-button controller. Just get a Hori Fighting commander. The buttons feel like SNES buttons. Once you've exhausted Nintendo, and Sega based retro console from the 8-16 bit era, the next natural progression is Turbo or Neo Geo. Both expensive, both in some respects better than NES, SNES, Master System, and Genesis.

Last edited:

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
After reading all this I’m definitely leaving Jaguar as the last thing I’d get if I found a killer deal. The PC engine and the Sega CD are the only other things I wanted to add to my collection. So it looks like I’m going with Turbografx/ PCE rout. I was gonna put off on getting the CD but now I’m considering the PCE Duo R. Neodogg was also recommending the same thing when I asked him for an opinion. I appreciate all the good feedback here.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Well, if yer gonna go the NEC route don't be a bitch. Step yer game up and go Hammerhead if you want JP, or LA w/TG16 PAC if you want US. Yer on the Neo forum... Go big or go home

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
qxHqxoW.jpg