Messed up Ninja Gaiden

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Got a Ninja Gaiden board today, powered it on and got some funky rainbow stuff going on screen here:
uoN1P0i.jpg

Board looks clean/fine. Any ideas on where to start?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Probably the usual to start. Check the voltage on the board for 5v-5.1v and reseat the socketed chips.

Edit: maybe add some board pics?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Try playing it to see if it's just the graphics messed up. Insert coin, press start. See if music is fine etc. if it doesn't play at all, verify the program roms first.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
did you have your jamma harness plugged in all the way?

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
did you have your jamma harness plugged in all the way?

Harness is plugged in nice and tight.

Probably the usual to start. Check the voltage on the board for 5v-5.1v and reseat the socketed chips.

Edit: maybe add some board pics?

Checked the voltage on the board, and it's running at 5v volts. Haven't tried reseating the chips yet, but I did take some pics of the board.

Try playing it to see if it's just the graphics messed up. Insert coin, press start. See if music is fine etc. if it doesn't play at all, verify the program roms first.

Nothing seems to happen when I insert a coin and hit start. Forgot to mention the audio isn't playing either besides a faint sound pop every few seconds.

Here's the board pics:
8R08mCz.jpg

MpUratt.jpg

oWJuLfv.jpg

tdBGP0w.jpg

FNRDfkA.jpg

Last edited:

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Another update, reseated the roms 1,2,3,4, and the one in the blue socket. Still getting a rainbow mess of glitches on screen, but the buzzing sound it makes is louder now. Any other ideas on where I should go from here?
JFfeLlm.jpg

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Check the reset pin on the CPU with a logic probe/oscilloscope to make sure that is behaving properly.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Make sure all the legs of the socketed chips are where they're supposed to be. As well as, take a look at the back of the board, check for any gouges or burnt traces.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Another update.

Found this repair log on aussiearcade where they switched the SRAM chips around and got it working. Tried it out and got it kind of working.

0kEcJlu.jpg

Some of the graphics in the opening cut-scene are a little messed up. Then in game the graphics are also glitched up.

hVjXbNH.jpg

Cleaned the pins/connectors on those socketed chips as well, nothing changed.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Nice that the SRAM is socketed on this board. Since swapping them got you kind-of working, one of them is likely faulty. Either test them with a EPROM programmer if you have one, or replace them.