DLC

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Worth it to you? For most games, it seems like a cash run, but for games like Rock Band and Pinball hall of fame, it makes more sense to me.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Sometimes it good. Like the upcoming RE7 free DLC. But most of the time it seems like a way to release incomplete games and maximize profit. Basically half the time you feel like you're beta testing a game you paid full price for.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
DLC? Only a few devs are doing it right. CD Projekt Red comes to mind. Most of the devs just release unfinished games these days and wait for DLC money to come in to finish them.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
DLC? Only a few devs are doing it right. CD Projekt Red comes to mind. Most of the devs just release unfinished games these days and wait for DLC money to come in to finish them.

Cory's got the right of it.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i like dlc that adds hours of new gameplay like the ones for bethesda games, but to unlock a couple of characters that was already supposed to be in the game is fucking retarded and an insult to the buyer.

i bought the shivering isles dlc for the elder scrolls oblivion and it was awesome. spent about 40 hours on it and money was not wasted. but then there's games like street fighter x tekken. although i game i like, i had to pay £15 just to unlock three or so characters.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't want fucking DLC unless you're talking expansions in line with the expansion packs of yore however this only applies if it comes as an added cost. I won't say no to free improvements or content...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
DLC is the backbone of this latest iteration of the video game industry and that's saying a lot about it...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Never bought it, never will.

Most of the time if you just wait 6 months you'll get a cheaper version of the game which includes all the DLC anyway.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
DLC for physical games, starting with Horse Armor era, really didn't make sense. I'm talking regular old DLC, not expansions. Expansions have been fine for a long time. DLC for digital platform games ended up being a no brainer.

In reality, DLC is a big buzz word for console games because console gamers hadn't realised they were just playing low-end computer games. So of course, then console games started using the traditional add-on method that had been previously only used for computer games. It is even more obvious as now we are seeing full games released under the old "shareware" type model (without the sharing part) where they do not have the full game at launch and have to buy the rest of the levels or episodes later on.

Welcome to the 90s!

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
The demo version of Doom on XBLA only included 3 levels. Modern games reek of bad value.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
DLC just allows games to be rushed even more. Pretty much what Cory stated.

Remember when stuff used to be unlockable and not nickle and dimed? I feel like a lot of dlc replaced that.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Shovel Knight is how you DLC

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
DLC just allows games to be rushed even more. Pretty much what Cory stated.

Remember when stuff used to be unlockable and not nickle and dimed? I feel like a lot of dlc replaced that.

Yeah sometimes. depends on the kind of games you played back then.

Growing up I played mostly fighters and we were always nickel and dimed. Not to mention stuff like Sonic 3.

But yeah the way DLC is now a days sucks because games are too damn expensive to make so they have to rely on that to keep games profitable.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
There are 2 types of people in this world.

Those who spend less than $200 on Dead or Alive sexy outfit DLC...and those who spend more.

I don't think I need to tell you where I stand...

:crying:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

Right as rain, sir. That's all there is to say on the subject.

EDIT: It also exists to try and make the games justifiable to the bloated and out of touch AAA dev cycle.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've never purchased modern DLC, but I did use to buy mission packs at retail for many older PC FPS games, which is more-or-less the same thing I guess. If the content adds substantially to the game, I guess I'm okay with it.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I'm fine with it as long as the game was complete to begin with.

...so i guess I stopped being fine with it circa 2001.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Last Time I bought additional content for a game was Rockband. Kinda makes sense there. Fuck the rest.

Fuck episodic gaming.
Fuck Shareware.

@M

20 Year Member
What's wrong with shareware? Unless things have changed since the last time I used one, that's just a free demo that the publisher hopes will entice you to buy the full version if you like it--it's the equivalent of a test drive at the car dealership. If you're not interested, you can just walk away without paying anything.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Timed shareware is not good, in hindsight. Such as the GTA full game, 7 minute time limit shareware. Games with a full episode, such as Doom or Quake were good examples of shareware.

@M

20 Year Member
Yeah, DOOM and Quake are the type of things I was thinking of too. I haven't used any modern shareware beyond Bookworm, which I do recall timed-out after a certain period, but, as it was just a free demo, that's fair I think.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
DLC is pretty much one of the reasons why I didn't really like the last or current gens. The nickel-and-diming has been horribly rampant for years now in many forms, be it on-disc DLC, day 1 DLC, etc. There were even some HD re-releases of old games (particularly Sonic Adventure 1 & 2) that have content taken straight from another version and made it paid DLC. While it's nice that some last and current gen games do get complete editions with all DLC, there's still plenty of games that unfortunately don't.

Last edited:

Setsuna1982

World Her,
The only DLC I've ever got was Mario Kart 8's extra tracks.I wish all DLC were like that one