Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 289

Thread: Terraonion New Product(s) discussion thread

  1. #51
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    AUST

    Posts
    10,081
    It has to be profitable which means it must appeal to those outside the niche yet its not an FPGA based console copy and it might be arcade related. This is a hard one.



    Now featuring Aussie Tunes!

  2. #52
    Chang's Grocer

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cologne

    Posts
    4,569
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    ...and it might be arcade related.
    This just has to be arcade related. It's the only blank and interesting area for creating hardware. MAME is bound to a capable PC and is neither plug-and-play, nor consumer friendly. But unfortunately, 'arcade' is not an entity, it's a variety of miscellaneous system boards, awry frequencies and diversified resolutions. God bless this mess, but it's tough to simplify for a computer illiterate.

  3. #53
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    AUST

    Posts
    10,081
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverclaude View Post
    This just has to be arcade related. It's the only blank and interesting area for creating hardware. MAME is bound to a capable PC and is neither plug-and-play, nor consumer friendly. But unfortunately, 'arcade' is not an entity, it's a variety of miscellaneous system boards, awry frequencies and diversified resolutions. God bless this mess, but it's tough to simplify for a computer illiterate.
    What about a multi game board (like pandora) that actually fucking plays games properly with a native JAMMA connector? Show me one of those that isn't a jpac/pc setup for a reasonable price and I'm wet all over.



    Now featuring Aussie Tunes!

  4. #54
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    donluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rome

    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by ekorz View Post
    Multi carts: cps1, system16, m92

    You want to do FPGA? How about something that plays all the PlayStation-based arcade hardware. Boom:

    Capcom Sony ZN-1
    Capcom Sony ZN-2
    Konami Bemani Karaoke
    Konami Bemani System 573 Analog
    Konami Bemani System 573 Digital
    Konami Bemani Twinkle
    Konami GQ System
    Konami GV System / Baby Phoenix
    Konami System 573
    Konami System 573 Satellite Terminal
    Namco System 10
    Namco System 11
    Namco System 12
    Taito FX-1A System
    Taito FX-1B System
    Taito G-NET System
    ...and (fuck it) primal rage 2
    +1 on that.

    About System16, I went the EPROMs + Programmer way, spent ~250€ total + 90€ for a Tetris with 5704 Rom board which is universal and can run any game.
    Sure, you have to swap the chips everytime you want to change the game, but it's no deal breaker for me.

  5. #55
    Crazed MVS Addict
    mathieu4d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    france

    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck_00 View Post
    Possibly a NGPC adapter for the AES????
    already exist (made by furrtek).

    I would have really loved a pgm multi, but it doesn't fit in the 5+ game system xD
    I can't figure for now what kind of project would fill a bigger gap than neosd did.
    Really curious about your next announcement…

  6. #56
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    5,417
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    What about a multi game board (like pandora) that actually fucking plays games properly with a native JAMMA connector? Show me one of those that isn't a jpac/pc setup for a reasonable price and I'm wet all over.
    I would be down for this. I've tried so many different multi boards in the past and they are all crap. The Pandors is probably the best one and thats not saying much. A multi board that runs roms at the correct frame rate and correct sound without sticking a computer in your cabinet. I guess this is easier said than done but I think eventually it will happen.
    Last edited by RAZO; 10-23-2017 at 08:16 AM.

  7. #57
    Angel's Love Slave
    GadgetUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    UK

    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by mathieu4d View Post
    already exist (made by furrtek).

    I would have really loved a pgm multi, but it doesn't fit in the 5+ game system xD
    I can't figure for now what kind of project would fill a bigger gap than neosd did.
    Really curious about your next announcement…
    You're thinking of the MVS adapter, not a Neo Geo Pocket adapter for the AES.

    A CPS 1 adapter for the MVS or AES - now that appeals to me lol. Just replicate CPS 1 on FPGA, and have some interface to the video audio and controller inputs. I don't think that would be possible though due to the way the neo geo handles graphics. Not sure its possible to just write to the screen in the way that would be required for anything to pass video output to the Neo Geo. Maybe it could be fooled by drawing to the ROM area where tiles are normally located or something like that. Then again all you're doing in either example is using the Neo Geo controller controller video and sound, so probably pointless. I did think about doing something similar for the Atari Lynx running 2600 games but the cart throughput isn't fast enough. Easier in that instance to recompile the games with some changes for IO and graphics.
    Last edited by GadgetUK; 10-23-2017 at 09:04 AM.
    My YouTube channel contains some MVS repairs and stuff:-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GadgetUK164

  8. #58
    Another Striker
    Morden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Neo Geo World

    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by ekorz View Post
    You want to do FPGA? How about something that plays all the PlayStation-based arcade hardware.
    I wonder if it would be at all possible to use one of the PlayStation boards, like ZN2, and use it as a universal base for an FPGA B Board that could run as many PlayStation hardware based games as possible. Given the number of PlayStation based boards and games, this would make quite a multi. The compatibility issues, though.

    The way I'm imagining this is, you take the most powerful and "complete" PlayStation A board out there, and get everything else to run on it. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but given the shared architecture, would it even be possible to take Namco's System 12, and make it run not only System 11 titles, but G.Net, ZN1 and 2, and so on.

  9. #59
    Pupil of Bonus-Kun

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Cambridge, MA

    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    I wonder if it would be at all possible to use one of the PlayStation boards, like ZN2, and use it as a universal base for an FPGA B Board that could run as many PlayStation hardware based games as possible. Given the number of PlayStation based boards and games, this would make quite a multi. The compatibility issues, though.

    The way I'm imagining this is, you take the most powerful and "complete" PlayStation A board out there, and get everything else to run on it. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but given the shared architecture, would it even be possible to take Namco's System 12, and make it run not only System 11 titles, but G.Net, ZN1 and 2, and so on.
    I'd be up for that too, real hardware ftw. But I thought fpga might make it easier since the hardware is a bit all over the place. It mayyyy just be ONE "core" to get right, though, that enables most of those systems.

    I'm all for Niko's idea of an FPGA pandora but that means dozens or hundreds of cores to develop.

  10. #60
    Another Striker
    Morden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Neo Geo World

    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by ekorz View Post
    I'm all for Niko's idea of an FPGA pandora but that means dozens or hundreds of cores to develop.
    Something like this would have to be a community project, like MAME. Open source, with people adding to it. There's no way one team could do all that work. A base FPGA unit, and cores developed by willing contributors. I know there are at least two independent FPGA SNES projects, which aren't related to Super NT. It seems like a waste of resources to have people doing this kind of work from scratch each time someone feels like developing a SNES clone in FPGA. Same with arcade hardware.

  11. #61
    Crazed MVS Addict
    mathieu4d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    france

    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK View Post
    You're thinking of the MVS adapter, not a Neo Geo Pocket adapter for the AES.
    I am not mistaken ;-)
    Not possible to play at 2, no sound, and if i remember correctly only b&w games. But it works.
    Already played with it. No clue on how many did furrtek actually do.
    His mvs to aes was produced in a larger scale i suppose.

    Back to the subject, something that would "normalize" arcade video signal so there is no need to toy with the geometry over and over again would be great… but not sure it fits the prerequisites of profitability :/
    Last edited by mathieu4d; 10-23-2017 at 09:57 AM.

  12. #62
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,184
    When I first saw pandora and well it did games I was totally underwelmed. I just though to myself how can anyone compare what that puts out as the same as the original arcade games.... Its just so dam poor. The problem here is these FPGA's are just no where near fast enough to allow emulation accurately enough to let games really play and look the same as the originals.

    When you compare neogeo for example in kawaks, FBA and MAME you can instalty see how much more powerfull machine you need to get MAME doing NeoGeo at full speed compared to the others. In the same tolken MAME is by far the most accurate NeoGeo emulator out there. But even here anyone with a good eye could easily tell the difference between a NeoGeo and MAME emulation if all they could see was a video of both. For me it does not matter how good emulation is of an arcade system, its never going to be completely accurate to a level that its not noticeable when doing a complete system.

    On the other side though there could be a place where FPGA emulation is helpfull. For example in playing non Qsound CPS1 games on CPS2 hardware... Because CPS2 does not have CPS1 legacy sound chips you could attach a device to the edge connector of a CPS2 'b' board and patch games to pass sound codes over that to a device emulating z80 and CPS1 sound that then outputs outputs to RCA jacks. Don't get me wrong its a little more complex than just doing that to get CPS1 games working on CPS2 hardware but it is possible.
    Last edited by Razoola; 10-23-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  13. #63
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    donluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rome

    Posts
    236
    Just one thing about FPGA system repros: if you're going to do, let's say, a CPS1/2 FPGA system, then PLEASE make two separate boards.

    The motherboard with the FPGA which emulates the system and the Rom Board which can be used on the real CPS1/2 motherboard.

    This way people can enjoy the multi with either your emulated FPGA system or, if they have one, real hardware.

  14. #64

    Nostromo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    The World

    Posts
    1,094
    The ROM is just... ROM. There is no FPGA rom board. Games are loaded from an Sd card slot.

  15. #65
    Another Striker
    Morden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Neo Geo World

    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by donluca View Post
    The motherboard with the FPGA which emulates the system and the Rom Board which can be used on the real CPS1/2 motherboard.
    A ROM board as a storage medium that could be used with both CPS1 and CPS2 A boards? How would that even work?

    Also, some people have mentioned Atomiswave flash device and a Naomi flash device. While a flash devices for both of these would certainly be more convenient if done properly, especially with an on-screen menu, I feel that netbooting makes them redundant. Pi with the Adafruit screen is pretty much the perfect solution, and you don't even need an Atomiswave, since you can netboot everything on a Naomi. Naomi can also power the Pi straight from the filterboard. What more do we need? This is more convenient than messing around with jumpers on Darksoft's STV cartridge.
    Last edited by Morden; 10-23-2017 at 03:20 PM.

  16. #66
    Over Top Auto Mechanic
    aoiddr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia, USA

    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    Also, some people have mentioned Atomiswave flash device and a Naomi flash device. While a flash devices for both of these would certainly be more convenient if done properly, especially with an on-screen menu, I feel that netbooting makes them redundant. Pi with the Adafruit screen is pretty much the perfect solution, and you don't even need an Atomiswave, since you can netboot everything on a Naomi. Naomi can also power the Pi straight from the filterboard. What more do we need?
    While I do agree, what if there was a complete Net Dimm replacement option that acted like a flash cart and loaded the games faster...?


    This is more convenient than messing around with jumpers on Darksoft's STV cartridge.
    If you're not aware, someone figured out a Pi-based selector option to go with the Darksoft ST-V multi so that it works like the more recent CPS2 and F3 multi.
    Last edited by aoiddr; 10-23-2017 at 04:53 PM.

  17. #67
    Calvin & Hobbes

    Rot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    InChatKthx

    Posts
    9,047
    i just got a 21 minute video of the new system...

    ...I have always stated... takes a lot to impress me... mainly because i'm drunk most of the time...

    xROTx

    PS. Consider me... impressed...

  18. #68
    Mature's Make-Up Artist
    Niko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kentucky

    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    i just got a 21 minute video of the new system...

    ...I have always stated... takes a lot to impress me... mainly because i'm drunk most of the time...

    xROTx

    PS. Consider me... impressed...
    Links or it didnt happen....

    kthnx

  19. #69
    There can be only one. Syn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.

    Posts
    5,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    A ROM board as a storage medium that could be used with both CPS1 and CPS2 A boards? How would that even work?

    Also, some people have mentioned Atomiswave flash device and a Naomi flash device. While a flash devices for both of these would certainly be more convenient if done properly, especially with an on-screen menu, I feel that netbooting makes them redundant. Pi with the Adafruit screen is pretty much the perfect solution, and you don't even need an Atomiswave, since you can netboot everything on a Naomi. Naomi can also power the Pi straight from the filterboard. What more do we need? This is more convenient than messing around with jumpers on Darksoft's STV cartridge.
    Well then just emulate everything on a pc and close the thread.

    Rather than dis others suggestions, be more passionate about what you'd like.

  20. #70
    Crossed Swords Squire
    heihachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    i just got a 21 minute video of the new system...

    ...I have always stated... takes a lot to impress me... mainly because i'm drunk most of the time...

    xROTx

    PS. Consider me... impressed...
    what a tease

  21. #71
    Critical Damage!
    mjmjr25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ryan's Lakeside Cabin; in MN

    Posts
    3,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    i just got a 21 minute video...

    ...I have always stated... takes a lot to impress me... mainly because i'm drunk most of the time...

    xROTx

    PS. Consider me... impressed...
    yr welcome dood

    Spoiler:
    i'm surprised she let me send it
    Rare PROTO HUNTER; Looking For: Jak and Daxter, New Zealand Story (original build only), Ratchet and Clank 2, Tak and the Power of the JuJu

    Paying 4 figures + for any of the above.

    Found in 2017: Recalhorn, Dr. Yam Yam, Sunday Fundy

  22. #72
    a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!
    CORY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Montreal, Qc, Canada

    Posts
    5,270
    neo-geo.com sex tapes FTW

  23. #73
    Banned theMot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The island of shielas, wogs and poofters.

    Posts
    5,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    i just got a 21 minute video of the new system...

    ...I have always stated... takes a lot to impress me... mainly because i'm drunk most of the time...

    xROTx

    PS. Consider me... impressed...
    Neosd has invented a high quality single malt scotch that will retail for $9.99
    Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    This place is a pool of toxic garbage. A bunch of old, grumpy, hateful, negative, hater assholes that don't even play Neo Geo.

  24. #74
    Calvin & Hobbes

    Rot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    InChatKthx

    Posts
    9,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Links or it didnt happen....

    kthnx
    But But... I have it on my whatsapp...

    Quote Originally Posted by heihachi View Post
    what a tease
    ...I wear Hot Pink...

    Quote Originally Posted by mjmjr25 View Post
    yr welcome dood

    Spoiler:
    i'm surprised she let me send it
    ...Alex is a girlie! Z'OMG... nerds UNITE in hitting on her...

    Quote Originally Posted by CORY View Post
    neo-geo.com sex tapes FTW
    ...Sylvie & Xorthen.... I N . . . L U V . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by theMot View Post
    Neosd has invented a high quality single malt scotch that will retail for $9.99
    I wish...

    xROTx

    PS. Neosd sure does suck at gaming... 21 minutes of getting his ass beat by the cpu...

    EDIT. I also suck at gaming... but the difference is... I run ma' genitals on the games to show them who's boss...

  25. #75
    NEST Puppet
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    180
    Its gonna be a long ass 4 weeks....
    Spice god of Borneo...


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •