Terraonion New Product(s) discussion thread

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I believe you're not getting the point of doing it with FPGAs. You use FPGA to mimic how the original circuit logic works (along with the ICs, of course) to make it behave exactly the same as the original board.

If you're doing things properly (not slamming an emulator on a chip just to run games) there's absolutely no issue in having two separate boards.

Like, really, none. More encumbrance since the B-Board has to fit onto the original A-Board, but that's really it.

There are already console FPGAs which do this: use an FPGA to emulate the original hardware with a slot for the original cartridges.

Making two separate boards would be definitely less efficient than an all-in-one solution, no doubt about that, the question is how much we're talking here.
Since I'm not an expert on the matter (and you neither are), I'd let neoSD speak on this one since, you know, it's part of their job.

Except for the cost of manufacturing two seperate boards in a form factor that works with original hardware which makes zero sense from a cost standpoint.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I can tell you first hand, having pcbs fabricated that large (enough for cps2) is very expensive. And needing two for the A + B board makes it even worse.

Or just create an all in one solution that is FPGA driven that’s barely bigger than the jamma edge.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Or just create an all in one solution that is FPGA driven that’s barely bigger than the jamma edge.

That solution might be a CPS multi winner for sales.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I can tell you first hand, having pcbs fabricated that large (enough for cps2) is very expensive. And needing two for the A + B board makes it even worse.

Slap an RGB/HDMI out on it and some controller ports (USB?, SNES?) and I'll be first in line.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That solution might be a CPS multi winner for sales.

CPS1/2 being relatively similar I wonder if adding a CPS3 core would add much to the circuitry? A one stop shop CPS1/2/3 FPGA for your cab would be huge.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The thing is, if you're going to the effort of producing a CPS1/2/3 FPGA product, it may as well become a 'MAME' product. Why limit the FPGA to only one or two systems? Its a bit different if the product is just the B board.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
A consolized version cps 1-2-3 in 1 would be awesome but probably impossible due to technical reasons.
That with controller ports and hdmi or rgb.
I don't have the space for cabs in my appartment

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
CPS1/2 being relatively similar I wonder if adding a CPS3 core would add much to the circuitry? A one stop shop CPS1/2/3 FPGA for your cab would be huge.

I just got a hard on. No homo.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The thing is, if you're going to the effort of producing a CPS1/2/3 FPGA product, it may as well become a 'MAME' product. Why limit the FPGA to only one or two systems? Its a bit different if the product is just the B board.

Go ahead, threaten us with a good time. I fucking dare you.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

This.

And there are already several options available with the Rapsberry Pi and a Jamma edge which are able to reproduce several games with pixel perfect resolution and accurate refresh. I've been wanting to get one of those as several of the games emulated are near indistinguishable from their original PCB, but prefer to hold back and wait for NeoSD's take on those arcade platforms.
Right now I've hacked one of those Pandoras Box to run Retroarch and FBA and the results have been quite satisfactory, especially for CPS1 games (some CPS2 games lag in certain points).

I'm not sure the market wants yet another one of those devices, but hey, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong if this means NeoSD gets to make another successful product which makes them money to put into other projects.

Meanwhile I'll be waiting here for a proper CPS1/2 multi. I wrote about this in another place which should not be spoken of and they said it would not be possible, unless they go the same route as the mess that is their CPS2 multi.
I'm already savoring the moment when NeoSD comes up with a perfectly CPS1/2 working device...

@Yodd: thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I'd be curious to know an estimate, because I'd be willing to shill out pretty pennies for a proper CPS1/2 multi, considering how much those games go in the market these days.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Ok, forget everything mentioned so far: We need a device for the Neo Geo home console that plugs into the cartridge port, with pass through for AES games, a port for MVS, and a CD drive for those games, too. It should be shaped as close to a toilet bowl as humanly possible.

Jag CD already did that!

NeoSD wants new ideas.

Hey, man, this is the Neo we're talking about. Our toilet shaped CD system add-on would be Bigger Badder Better. It'd have a bidet, n' stuff.

pva

Mega Shock!!
I wouldn't mind seeing some nice wireless gamepads for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive and TG16/PCE

Retro-Bit just announced they've partnered up with Sega, and that they're launching their first products for the Genesis, Saturn and/or Dreamcast at CES. The announcement is naturally scarce on the details, but I read it to mean that they're about to launch controllers for Sega consoles with wired, USB and BT connectivity.

The first products and concepts under the agreement include several accessories that feature the same great quality as their original Sega counterparts like the original console port, but also with modern upgrades such as a USB® port for PC compatibility and Bluetooth® wireless technology. These new products are slated to debut in the Innex booth #21023 in the South Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center during CES 2018.

8bitdo pretty much have the NES/SNES controller game locked down with great quality stuff, but no one is servicing Sega and NEC fans. And there a BUNCH of them out there.

I don't own any Retro-Bit products, but I'm under the impression that they're not as solid as 8bitdo's offerings. That being said, I'd still prefer a BT controller of even passable quality over a mess of extension cords, as long as the lag isn't horrendous.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Now if we can get NEC or Konami or whoever to license out the turbo/pce pad.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't own any Retro-Bit products, but I'm under the impression that they're not as solid as 8bitdo's offerings.

The Retrobit products I've used have been shit. Earlier this year I wanted to get myself one of their SNES portables, which could also play NES and Genesis with the right adapters. I ordered from Amazon. It was actually designed fairly well, it was much more comfortable than the Supaboy, but the quality of the unit was awful, particularly the screen. I figured it was just a defective unit so I ordered another one, it was even worse than the first one. I just sent it all back. Seems like a good design hampered by lousy Q and A and the use of a really awful screen.

Looking at the Amazon reviews of their controllers show that they don't seem to be any better. I'm hoping that when they release this new Sega stuff they may up their game. Hyperkin has actually released some good stuff lately, surprisingly enough, so maybe Retrobit can too.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I have a Retrobit SNES style USB controller that works just fine.

mistahsnart

New Challenger
Not sure if you're interested in such a thing, but Professor Abrasive (the guy making the plug-and-play Saturn ODE) is looking for a manufacturing and sales partner. The device is just about done, so out of pocket R&D should be minimal at this point. Might be a nice way to expand the Terraonion product line with a shorter timeline.

I'd certainly love to see your team sprinkle some UI magic on this device as well. :)

https://www.patreon.com/posts/back-in-action-15992494

Last edited:

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Not sure if you're interested in such a thing, but Professor Abrasive (the guy making the plug-and-play Saturn ODE) is looking for a manufacturing and sales partner. The device is just about done, so out of pocket R&D should be minimal at this point. Might be a nice way to expand the Terraonion product line with a shorter timeline.

I'd certainly love to see your team sprinkle some UI magic on this device as well. :)

https://www.patreon.com/posts/back-in-action-15992494

That would be an excellent development !

A device that presents large & cheap storage as though it were a micro SD card would probably sell super well.

I’ve heard that reading from an SD card is way easier than USB. Which has lead to many flash cart style devices using SD. But ODE’s have libraries that push the limits of SD sizes.

There’s an adapter for PSP “MS Pro Duo” slots that adapts 2 micro SD cards to work in tandem as a single memory card. And there are ribbon cables you can use to adapt it down to an M2 micro slot.

Following that same general idea. I imagine plugging a flex cable into an ODE Micro SD slot and using the other end to present 2/4/8 Micro SD cards doesn’t sound completely insane.

Last I checked on Amazon. A 128gb card on amazon ran about $40, while a 256gb ran about $135. So, $135 - ($40 * 2) leaves up to $55 of value you would be able to present to a customer right off the bat without even broaching increased capacity as a feature.

And last I checked those MS pro duo adapters provide a similar feature for under $10. So it would seem like there’s plenty of space after parts for a profit.

Please? Please point some of your genius brains at this?

I’d also like something that presented a cheap USB spinning disk as micro sd. But I’m assuming that’s much harder and the product would be cost prohibitive for a large market.

Last edited:

mistahsnart

New Challenger
But that's solving a 'problem' that will eventually not be one.

It's only a matter of time until 256gb microSD cards are $40...and then $30... and then $20. I just paid $9 for a 32GB Samsung EVO microSD. Two years ago, it was triple that.

In the meantime: 128GB is still A LOT of games. Maybe play through all those first. ;)

But that's solving a 'problem' that will eventually not be one.

On a long enough timeline. All problems are temporary.

And I agree that 256gb is plenty to store a large collection. But there’s always a market for complete sets over large sets. Especially for people that host retro gaming sessions with friends. It’s easier to have everything ready immediately than having any downtime of swapping things out.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Wow, didn't think we'd get all existential about this :smirk:

But my point is: larger microSD cards will get cheaper.

Well, when Pc Engine got released, no one was able to write cds. Time passed and we all were able to write cds.

Now we are not interested about writting cds anymore as sd is faster and more convenient. Everyone hates to swap discs at all ...

What future will deliver ? who knows :)