Terraonion New Product(s) discussion thread

pva

Mega Shock!!
I don't want to derail the SD System 3 announcement thread, so I'm continuing the discussion here.

I am really, really hoping that you are also Sega Saturn fans! Anyway, great job on the PC Engine SD system. Looks awesome. I will definately pick one up.

Should you ever come up with an ODE for the Sega Saturn, I'd be all over it like a particularly bad rash. With the odds of actually being able to buy a Rhea/Phoebe being as good as those of winning the lottery, and the development of the Satiator being currently on pause, a NeoSD-quality ODE for the Saturn would be a very welcome product indeed!

Bonus points would be awarded for supporting both 20- and 21-pin Saturns as well as high-capacity (> 32GB) SD cards.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I don't want to derail the SD System 3 announcement thread, so I'm continuing the discussion here.

Should you ever come up with an ODE for the Sega Saturn, I'd be all over it like a particularly bad rash. With the odds of actually being able to buy a Rhea/Phoebe being as good as those of winning the lottery, and the development of the Satiator being currently on pause, a NeoSD-quality ODE for the Saturn would be a very welcome product indeed!

Bonus points would be awarded for supporting both 20- and 21-pin Saturns as well as high-capacity (> 32GB) SD cards.

That guy cracked the hardware already. I think years ago. Everyone is saying he will be releasing a product, but I don't think that's ever happening. He already has a working prototype. NeoSD should reach out to that guy and make a ln agreement to cut him in on the profit for all the work he did, and neo sd will make the product a reality.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Things like ODE's are pretty cost effective too, no shells or fancy packaging required just an anti static bag and a parcel for postage. Pretty much all the ODE type devices like the Rhea/Phoebe/GDEMU/USB-GDROM etc are all hard to get your hands on for some dumbass reason.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Things like ODE's are pretty cost effective too, no shells or fancy packaging required just an anti static bag and a parcel for postage. Pretty much all the ODE type devices like the Rhea/Phoebe/GDEMU/USB-GDROM etc are all hard to get your hands on for some dumbass reason.

It's because he's hand making each one. Is so protective as to not let it be bootlegged.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Ok, now that we know what the current project is, it's time to start speculating/wishing about the next one.

I want a Super Gameboy style cartridge for the Genesis/Mega Drive that plays Game Gear games.

Another device that plugs into the side of the console and replaces the entire CD unit (preferable without requiring its own fucking PSU). Someone may have already mentioned something along those lines earlier in the thread. It gets a thumbs up from me.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Another device that plugs into the side of the console and replaces the entire CD unit (preferable without requiring its own fucking PSU). Someone may have already mentioned something along those lines earlier in the thread. It gets a thumbs up from me.

I'd go so far as to say that it should plug into the side, but not take up a lot of space. While something like the Genesis/Mega Drive could sit on like the SegaCD1 sounds cool, a PS-IO-like device that stands up vertical would probably be the most compatible. And hey, if such a device could double as a 32X to allow SEGA CD 32X games to be played without a 32X plugged in, all the better.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'd go so far as to say that it should plug into the side, but not take up a lot of space. While something like the Genesis/Mega Drive could sit on like the SegaCD1 sounds cool, a PS-IO-like device that stands up vertical would probably be the most compatible. And hey, if such a device could double as a 32X to allow SEGA CD 32X games to be played without a 32X plugged in, all the better.

I'd so go far as to tell you to suck a dick...

Fuck off and keep below my radar...

PS. I don't care about your posts and feedback... I will merge your fucking account with Dion...

EDIT. Infact.... no market privileges... no PM privileges... improve your feedback now...

ESTRA EDIT. You may reverse the decision.. in Chat ONLY... that's the score...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
2018 is going to be a great year ;)

Not for some of our userbase Alex pal...

It's time they started realising... membership here is a privilege... not a fucking right...

xROTx

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Very excited to see what else you guys have up your sleeves!

This

My guess is a saturn or ps1 solution that you dont have to wait in line an entire year for, and that isn't a pain in the ass to load roms on to.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
TerraOnion has really impressed me so far. These guys aren't fucking around and they are up for a challenge. Releasing the 1st Neo Geo Flash Cart and now with the PCE Super SD System, these guys are breaking barriers. I don't think there is anything these guys can't do. I'm glad they are part of this community. Can't wait for the their next project.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
TerraOnion has really impressed me so far. These guys aren't fucking around and they are up for a challenge. Releasing the 1st Neo Geo Flash Cart and now with the PCE Super SD System, these guys are breaking barriers. I don't think there is anything these guys can't do. I'm glad they are part of this community. Can't wait for the their next project.

110%

pva

Mega Shock!!

On second thought, make that support for USB drives (like the Satiator). Large SD cards cost a bundle.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
i would only pay for a samurai rpg aes cart.
dont care if the world ends after ive seen that

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
So if we are talking ODEs and early gen systems we have the following:

Sega CD: No current solution
Amiga CD32: whdload pretty much covers it..pretty active hobbyist scene around the Amiga, probably not much popular traction
PS1: PSX-IO: hard to get, only works on certain models, not true plug and play
Saturn: Rhea/Phoebe - hard to get, Satiator - still vaporware
Jag CD - There is a Jag SD cart that is currently working on adding CD support, probably not needed or really mainstream enough
Dreamcast - GDEmu - hard to get, Russian USB loader - harder to get
3DO: there is that Russian USB solution but it is harder to get then the Rhea/Phoebe/GDemu
CDI, PC-FX, Pippin, Playdia - limited marketability.

An elegant Sega CD solution would probably be the most novel. Better Saturn, Dreamcast, PSX Options would probably sell very well.

I tell you what though...this is a great time to be a retrogamer with whatever comes next.

haightc

n00b
Some ideas for future projects.

1. I would tend to agree it would be nice to have another option for Saturns. I have a few games I play that make use of the MPEG cart, so I would prefer to not give that up. I would by an Rhea or Phoebe if I could get my hands on it but I have two Saturns that play games just fine. What doesn't work is the cartridge slot, actually this is a much more common problem. Both my Saturns are Japanese models which I'll now how to region mode to play US games. No backup cartridges for me, better hope the coin cell battery doesn't go bad. Fortunately I picked up a Saturn floppy drive, so I won't loose all my saves if the power goes out. Sadly though I am stuck when it come to playing games that require RAM carts, no Vampire Savior for me. So something that can manage saves better and emulate carts would be awesome!

2. NeoGeo Pocket dumper, Saint has made a pretty awesome flash cart. It's been great to play those titles that I missed or are super rare. The NGPC save to the carts, so I would love to be able to transfer all the original carts to an SD and retain their save. Unfortunately the devices that dumped NGP carts have disappeared from the market. Given the popularity of this new flash cart there maybe a market for an updated dumper. <--- edit, appears Tototek is offering a NGPC dumper again

3. WonderSwanSD, probably not much of market for this. I've asked Flavor about his flashcart, but they are focused on their new products so revisiting the wonderswan cart would likely be a longways off. I have a WSC that pretty won't get used until a flash cart comes around again.

4. CD-I, I feel like this is actually a underappreciated system. CD-I has some significant hardware variations which would make it hard to produce. It would also likely need to emulate the digital video cartridge. Sadly probably no market for this, fortunately my CDi still runs like a champ.

5. Atari 7800, this one has been attempted a couple times. While the 7800 is relatively simple, previous developers had issues with different hardware revisions to make it a reality. Both developers are very talented but maybe this is something that could be tackled by a team. It seems other Atari flash carts have been successful. I realize the 7800 has probably the smallest fan base of all the Atari video game systems.

6. NeoGeo CD, the pocket and CD are actually my favorite NeoGeo consoles. I understand Furtek is trying to work on one, but it's still early stages and based on his twitter feed he working a a million things. Having an ODE for this system would be great as load times are the most common complaint. I don't think it's a bad as people say, but I imagine it's a turnoff for people used to the AES.

I am looking forward to your new PCE system, feature set looks great. One thing it might be nice to see in the future is save states support. Many PCE games only have password "saves". I really enjoy the PCE library but it feels like all to often I don't get to sit down and really play them. Even if I do, I frequently called away. Having a save state would be a real time saver and nice convenience feature. I'm still buying the new PCESD system, but it would a a nice to have!

A totally crazy thought, it would be super awesome if could play LaserActive titles. I imagine this is beyond the hardware capability, maybe some kind of MPEG add-on down the road? I remember it was super fun to play this when it was on display at incredible universe. No emulator that I know of can currently emulate laseractive titles, probably cause ROMs doesn't really exist. There is a project trying to archive them but I doubt anything will come of it for us consumers. I mostly recall playing Hyperion but Manhattan Requiem is definitely on my wish list. I really enjoy the JB Harold series but few titles where released in English despite being a game that is based in America.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
4. CD-I, I feel like this is actually a underappreciated system. CD-I has some significant hardware variations which would make it hard to produce. It would also likley need to emulate the digital video cartridge.

could-should.jpg

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Just my two cents, but I hope they'll release some more arcade stuff. It's clear that the console market is way more profitable, but I'd still love to see a proper CPS2 and CPS1 multi.

Also, a Sega 32x + CD would be awesome.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
You are all wrong. There is one heavyweight contender yet to be mentioned. The obvious next choice is the Hyperscan.

061012_hyperscan_hmed2pgrid_6x2.jpg061012_hyperscan_hmed2pgrid_6x2.jpg

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I know these guys are all about flash carts, but there are a few other areas that are being underserved:

New quality replacement controllers for PCE. Looking into buying some cheap pads for the PCE off of eBay, I was thrown by how expensive even cheap junk controllers are. If I'm going to be spending that kind of money, I'd like something new. Maybe a Saturn style six-button pad for 50ish dollars? I'd be down for two.

A new replacement screen for NGPC. Something completely to spec, resolution wise, but with the added benefit of backlighting.

mistahsnart

New Challenger
I'm sure the TerraOnion team is already planning their next amazing product, so I don't feel the need to tell them what they should make. But I wanted to post in here about how awesome their team is:

They just helped me out with a problem accessing the downloads page for my NeoSD. On a Sunday. At 5:00 PM in Spain.

Sorry for the gushing: but this is the kind of exceptional customer service that deserves to be shared.