Terraonion New Product(s) discussion thread

neosd

Neosd Developer
To be honest, I was hoping that since they got SSDS3 working with SD Cards that most of the work would have already been done already. I could imagine that if they had a USB port instead of an SD card slot, people could plug in whatever they want (SD Card reader, HDD, CD-ROM, etc) and have it work. If not right away, at least in the future with firmware updates? (wishful thinking). (^_^);

SD is the way to go for us.

The entire PC Engine collection fits into a 256gb microsd and 512gbs microsd are already anounced ...
We don´t have plans for anything that uses usb for storing games at.

Alex,

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Just a thought thrown out there:

I see several products using SDs are they are (rightfully) the most convenient way to load your game library onto flashcarts (I mean, every single flashcart I know are using them), but in this age people are starting to archiving complete sets on their NAS/Fileserver and almost everyone has a wi-fi network at home.

It would be awesome in the future to see flashcarts which are able to connect to your home network and fetch the games via wi-fi without having to buy and transfer lots of files onto the support (which is often a one-time thing, but sometimes sets get corrected/updated and, most importantly, homebrew would highly benefit from this).

Wishing all goes for the best and you guys became a very successful company, I'd love to see flashcarts for MegaDrive, SNES, etc. which are able to load games via network in the future.

TuSecsy

War Room Troll

I see several products using SDs are they are (rightfully) the most convenient way to load your game library onto flashcarts (I mean, every single flashcart I know are using them), but in this age people are starting to archiving complete sets on their NAS/Fileserver and almost everyone has a wi-fi network at home.

It would be awesome in the future to see flashcarts which are able to connect to your home network and fetch the games via wi-fi without having to buy and transfer lots of files onto the support (which is often a one-time thing, but sometimes sets get corrected/updated and, most importantly, homebrew would highly benefit from this).

Wishing all goes for the best and you guys became a very successful company, I'd love to see flashcarts for MegaDrive, SNES, etc. which are able to load games via network in the future.

Please don't spend 1 minute of your time on this garbage. If you're too lazy/dumb to copy and paste files onto a card, and think moving a small card around once in a while is somehow less convenient than setting up some wifi server, you don't deserve to use a flash card.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary

WiFi SD cards have been a thing for, like, a decade.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
WiFi SD cards have been a thing for, like, a decade.

This is the exact opposite of what I was saying.

Those WiFi SD cards create their own wi-fi network which you can access with a computer/smartphone and put stuff in it without taking them out.

What I'm saying is having a device which connects to YOUR home wifi network and has access to YOUR NAS content.

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict
SD is the way to go for us.

The entire PC Engine collection fits into a 256gb microsd and 512gbs microsd are already anounced ...
We don´t have plans for anything that uses usb for storing games at.

Alex,

Will the new device work with a 256GB SD card, or is there a size limit?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
256GB should be fine.

COME ON... let's get with the plan...

Member since 2005... asking a question that has not only been answered a few times... i do believe it's in the PDF manual...

It's shit like this that irritates me...

xROTx

PS. Tempted to give him a custom rank... Savagepencil "Likes Paper & Pencil. Can't read web pages. Autism is REAL!."

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict
COME ON... let's get with the plan...

Member since 2005... asking a question that has not only been answered a few times... i do believe it's in the PDF manual...

It's shit like this that irritates me...

xROTx

PS. Tempted to give him a custom rank... Savagepencil "Likes Paper & Pencil. Can't read web pages. Autism is REAL!."

Shit, you are right...right there in the manual. I apologize.

(if I were *truly* autistic, I would have known!)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Shit, you are right...right there in the manual. I apologize.

(if I were *truly* autistic, I would have known!)

You're lucky I'm generally relaxing... just sayin' man...

xROTx

PS. Meh... free pass...

Neo NooNaN

Quiz Detective
Quoted... for prosperity...:annoyed:

LOL

Regarding the SMB or other networking thing, I agree that dev cycles are hard enough without delving into those areas. That said, personally, I've got a lot of these things and it would be AWESOME to not have to update the FW and/or romsets with physical media anymore. :)

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
It's been a couple days so SavagePencil got off.

It's when we have 3 or more in 24 hours that you'd better watch out. :keke:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
LOL

Regarding the SMB or other networking thing, I agree that dev cycles are hard enough without delving into those areas. That said, personally, I've got a lot of these things and it would be AWESOME to not have to update the FW and/or romsets with physical media anymore. :)

It's been a couple days so SavagePencil got off.

It's when we have 3 or more in 24 hours that you'd better watch out. :keke:

The way I see this situ... is that Neosd, his team and some members have posted all these questions being asked...

...I'm old and grumpy... but I still read the forums and it irritates me when others don't...

SURE... you can argue there's lots of posts BUT... I find it helps to get to know the forum if you read it... you get the "vibe" that way and it helps you understand the forum and scene better...

I'm not a monster... but in reality... I do get irritated when people don't have the same old school forum style mentality...

This aint facebook or twitter etc etc... it's a forum and community... and hence, asking the same questions over and over again will eventually aggravate me...

xROTx

PS. I notice Neosd will post on questions that have not been asked or are important enough to answer...

BUT... how would you guys feel if you keep seeing the same ass "... Z'OMG... how big an SD card can I use..".. or... "when is my shit being shipped"... type posts?

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Perhaps a side question (I apologize if it's be already asked or addressed): Could the SSS3 be updated via firmware to have a HuCard dumping feature? It might be handy when you want to dump a prototype card or just take a clean/verified dump of something.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Perhaps a side question (I apologize if it's be already asked or addressed): Could the SSS3 be updated via firmware to have a HuCard dumping feature? It might be handy when you want to dump a prototype card or just take a clean/verified dump of something.

The main issue is that when a hucard is inserted, the hucard owns the bus, so the ssds3 can't execute its own code. If only we could be able to run a small piece of code, that will work, but it's currently not possible. Only booting without a hucard and inserting it while running would work, but hot-pluggint it is not good for the hucard.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
The main issue is that when a hucard is inserted, the hucard owns the bus, so the ssds3 can't execute its own code. If only we could be able to run a small piece of code, that will work, but it's currently not possible. Only booting without a hucard and inserting it while running would work, but hot-pluggint it is not good for the hucard.
How does the UpperGrafx/UperGrafx accomplish HuCard dumping? Even UGX-01 supports it ( “unofficially”). I assume UGX-02 does as well.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
This is the exact opposite of what I was saying.

Those WiFi SD cards create their own wi-fi network which you can access with a computer/smartphone and put stuff in it without taking them out.

What I'm saying is having a device which connects to YOUR home wifi network and has access to YOUR NAS content.
Their primary purpose is to offload your camera pics wirelessly but I’m sure it’s possible to have your PC sync files with a folder on your network or local HDD. I don’t see why it needs to operate any differently to give your flashcart arbitrary access to a network share. Just because the card doesn’t access and present the network share itself doesn’t mean you can’t use it with PC software to accomplish effectively the same thing.

The WiFi SD cards definitely do connect to your home network.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
CZroe... the devices are what they are... you buy them or NOT!

You play games with them... so I find this line of questioning .... annoying...

Take that as you like but i'm not the person you should be replying to with bullshit...

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Received my unit today. Only put four CD games on it for now as I don't want to do the whole too much choice, not putting the proper play time in to a title trap. Years ago I had an almost complete PCE collection, so went with some all time favourite games. The device is outstanding, perfect reproduction on the games, loading even better than many of the CD-Rom units these days and the RGB is top notch. Well played again NeoSD, with this and my Neo cart I have the perfect retro set up.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
CZroe... the devices are what they are... you buy them or NOT!

You play games with them... so I find this line of questioning .... annoying...

Take that as you like but i'm not the person you should be replying to with bullshit...
Genuinely confused. I responded to NeoSD and trenton_net. Do you have me confused with someone else? I had not responded to you.

They gave trenton_net an engineering reason why dumping HuCards safely was not possible. I asked them about a similar product that seems to be able to do it in case it could lead to an engineering breakthrough that potentially allows it on Super SD System 3. Not sure how it would be a bad thing. The more bullet points they can cover the less reason anyone has to consider the UGX-01/02. If they can’t add it, I’m fine with the functionality given just like you are, but we obviously can’t speak for everyone.

Perhaps UGX-01/02 does it the unsafe way they describe. If so, it’d be good to know for anyone who might be considering a UGX-02 instead. It was an extremely relevant response to the exact discussion they were having, so I thought it was potentially helpful.

A lot of devices intended for playing games can also dump them, including Bung Multi-Game Doctor² with Neo Geo AES Adapter, Mr. Backup Z64, Super UFO Pro88, GB Xchanger, RetroN5/RetroFreak, etc. Dumping definitely serves your stated goal of using it for playing games, especially if you have an undumped prototype (I have a few myself).

Hopefully this will explain the reasoning behind trenton_net‘s question and how such a feature can enable us to play even more games with it (its intended use).

Edit:
I see now that you may have been talking about either of my recent posts and not specifically the one about dumping HuCards. The other post was about equipping your Super SD System 3 with a WiFi SD card so that it can play games from a folder on the network with no need to fit them all on the card. It was even more relevant to playing games, since I was telling donluca how he might get what he wanted without having to bug Terra Onion for the feature. Just suggesting the SD card that does what he needs, though it’ll probably need an adapter if it works at all (doubt they make mSD versions).

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Genuinely confused. I responded to NeoSD and trenton_net. Do you have me confused with someone else? I had not responded to you.

They gave trenton_net an engineering reason why dumping HuCards safely was not possible. I asked them about a similar product that seems to be able to do it in case it could lead to an engineering breakthrough that potentially allows it on Super SD System 3. Not sure how it would be a bad thing. The more bullet points they can cover the less reason anyone has to consider the UGX-01/02. If they can’t add it, I’m fine with the functionality given just like you are, but we obviously can’t speak for everyone.

Perhaps UGX-01/02 does it the unsafe way they describe. If so, it’d be good to know for anyone who might be considering a UGX-02 instead. It was an extremely relevant response to the exact discussion they were having, so I thought it was potentially helpful.

A lot of devices intended for playing games can also dump them, including Bung Multi-Game Doctor² with Neo Geo AES Adapter, Mr. Backup Z64, Super UFO Pro88, GB Xchanger, RetroN5/RetroFreak, etc. Dumping definitely serves your stated goal of using it for playing games, especially if you have an undumped prototype (I have a few myself).

Hopefully this will explain the reasoning behind trenton_net‘s question and how such a feature can enable us to play even more games with it (its intended use).

STFU... already...

SERIOUSLY.... I am NOT in the mood...

Take the warning... as NEXT time I read one of your posts... (and I will do...)... it'd better be something bland and not likely to get you a nice holiday...

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Yeah stop having rational thoughts or questions that could have a useful answer or else. Maybe next you'll get accused of being a NGFL troll and get booted for that too.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Yeah stop having rational thoughts or questions that could have a useful answer or else. Maybe next you'll get accused of being a NGFL troll and get booted for that too.

War room lock... Perma...

NEXT mother fucker please....

xROTx