Neo Geo AES resets randomly - tried various AC Adapters, still happens!

Hey fellow Neo Fans,

I just got into the Neo Geo craze again and bought a modded Neo Geo AES (switchless + RGB Bypass + Unibios 3.3), but whenever I'm playing any games, after a certain amount of time, the games just reset or freeze mid-game (oddly I can often still hit start + select to access the Unibios Menu when that happens...).

When checking CRCs through the Bios, I get NGs on all roms on all carts :(

Here's the serial of my AES:

serial.png

I tried these AC Adapters:

acadapter01.png
acadapter02.png

I also tried an old Sega Genesis Model 1 AC Adapter since I read online that they ought to work, but I'm getting the same issues.

I opened the NeoGeo and it says it's a NEO-AES-3-6.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens? Is it really the AC Adapter or could it be that something went wrong with the modding?

Help would be hugely appreciated, I'm quite lost on this issue!

pnauts

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If you did try differents power supplies, I think more of a heating problem and perhaps you have a cracked solder joint ?
check the LSPC, C1 and B1 pins.
Can you check if the reset occurs without game if you let the console powered for a while ?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sounds like the 68k possibly going bad, like said above it could be an over heating problem meaning an internal short. When the console has been running for at least 5 minutes, is the 68k or any components hot to the touch? The Ym2610 usually runs a bit warm but everything else is pretty lukewarm. If the 68K is hot, then it needs to be replaced.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Shouldn't that AES be a 5v model with a serial like that?

I have two AES with 11xxx serial numbers. both are 5V.

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
Ok so i think you should stop using the neo-pow3 10v psu.according to your system it needs a neo-pow 5v one. Get a 5v 2-3A psu and pray the 10v and 9v ones you used did not fry anything.

NEO-POW3
Two versions, one reference...
Input: 110V AC only
Ouput: 10V DC 1A
...and...
Input: 110V AC only
Ouput: 11V DC 700mA
This one can fry early 5V systems.
PRO-POW
Input: 100V AC only
Output: 5V DC 3A
PRO-POW-UL