PayPal Unauthorized transaction scam

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I guess this is old news but last week I had a eBay member try and pull this on me. He won one of my gaming auctions, paid, item was shipped and a month later he files a complaint saying someone else made the purchase from his account.

I got this email from PayPal saying that they needed to put $105 On hold until they investigated. I was -$105 On my account. I did not bother calling or contacting customer service through PayPal and just let it ride to see what happens.

Just got this email from PayPal an hour ago.

We're happy to confirm that the chargeback was decided in your favor.

We've reimbursed your PayPal account for the disputed amount.

This case is now closed and there is no further action needed

What I don't understand is how could PayPal possibly rule in this guys favor? I shipped the item to his name and address. I could understand if the shipping address was changed to somewhere else in the world like Thailand or where ever but he used his name and address.

I have a few questions for those who have had something similar happen to them.

If he won, would I have lost my money and item?

If he won and someone in fact did use his account would PayPal be responsible for paying up or would I be responsible?

Does PayPal ban him because he tried to commit fraud or do they just let it go?

Anyways, I'm glad PayPal ruled in my favor but think I'm going to start including adult signature required for more expensive items just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You'd have to take them to small claims to get that back. It's a shit world for sellers.

i knew someone that used to run a store selling digital keys for games way back in the day.
Some kid racked up over $10k in purchases. Handed out the keys to all his friends. His parents finally found out and started a dispute. The credit card company took back all the money, and this guy was out $10k in merchandise. no way to get back those keys.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I was going to say I'd be surprised if PayPal bans people unless they're repeat offenders, but a quick Google search proved me wrong on that. Glad it worked out for you, shit like that is what always makes me nervous about dealing on EBay. For me it's a last resort. Here, then KLOV, then EBay for my gaming shiz.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I can see how that could happen. Many years ago my eBay account got hacked. If I had my stuff set up to one click pay or such they could have changed the shipping or bought something or such. At the time I wasn't really using eBay very often so I didn't find out about it instantly.

I logged in one day and my page came up showing me all the stuff I was selling, but I didn't have anything I had listed. There were a few high dollar items someone else had listed and they were trying to get money orders or some such as payment if I recall. It was quite a long time back so I don't totally remember how it all went down.

I don't remember what all was listed, but there was a motorcycle.

Also, I'm tired of looking at that Madmanatee's asshole.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I have had the same situation and it was a good 5 months after the transaction.... PayPal ruled in favor buyers favor. I disputed the outcome and about 15 days later PayPal still ruled in favor of the buyer again.... I called PayPal customer service given I could proove the item was received at the address I sent etc... PayPal customer did a manual credit to my account for the ammount I was out...

I argued my point to PayPal customer service this way. I shipped an item to an addresses you verified and the item was received so I should be covered by seller protection bla bla bla.... If somone used the PayPal account without their knowledge why was the item not returned to me or the alledged authorised transaction seen at that point (given from the item I sent its clear it was from a PayPal transaction of theirs).

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, this shit is pretty scary. I can't understand how this buyer could have possibly won. I mean the address I shipped to was with his first and last name which matched his PayPal account name and his ebay tag is gameadventurer and he purchased a game lol. It's like duh.

Man, I hate people like this.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have had the same situation and it was a good 5 months after the transaction.... PayPal ruled in favor buyers favor. I disputed the outcome and about 15 days later PayPal still ruled in favor of the buyer again.... I called PayPal customer service given I could proove the item was received at the address I sent etc... PayPal customer did a manual credit to my account for the ammount I was out...

I argued my point to PayPal customer service this way. I shipped an item to an addresses you verified and the item was received so I should be covered by seller protection bla bla bla.... If somone used the PayPal account without their knowledge why was the item not returned to me or the alledged authorised transaction seen at that point (given from the item I sent its clear it was from a PayPal transaction of theirs).

Raz, I thought the same thing. If it was a unauthorized transaction than what happened to my item that said it was delivered. Do I get that item back or is it just considered lost.

Say for example your kid logs on to your ebay account and makes a expensive purchase without your consent. The buyer should be responsible or if he files a claim, he should return the item for a refund but this I get to keep the money and item shit makes no sense.

If in fact someone hacked his account and made a purchase, why would they ship it to the address on his PayPal account? Dead give away.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I've had this happen and also won the case. What annoyed me is Paypal putting a temporary hold on funds when they should automatically know seller protection criteria were met, ie. item was shipped to a confirmed address, tracking shows it was delivered. That should be case closed immediately as far as I am concerned. Paypal can try to recover the funds or whatever, that's their fucking problem. Don't we pay these asshats enough in fees to cover this shit?

A month or so later after the case was "resolved" in my favor, I got another message from Paypal telling me they were unable to recover the money from the card company but I could keep the payment as a courtesy since I am a long time customer. Wow, thanks Paypal. Hope you can still afford to keep the lights on...

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

Plus, the alleged non-buyer would have received emails from ebay and paypal regarding the transactions before that even happened.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I just want to buy some rabbit food and need to change my ccs expiration date but they won't let me log in because they don't like the new phone and didnt recognize a device recently used, Hooray! I am Safe!!!?from being able to even check if something is up or use my account...yay!

edit:but i get a callback in half an hour after dealing with automated shit for like five:mad_2:

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
motherfucking hour on the phone and I'm still locked out and he tried everything...just because they want to charge for a phone call...cant even add the phone I have access to because my names not on it, wasnt on either of the others either whats worst is the guy said there actually hasnt been a suspicios login...funny that he also said that they aren't just doing it to get money for phone companies or whatever??? kinda pist need rabbit food and internet purchases to be happy in life.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Can anyone decipher the Karou code?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Can anyone decipher the Karou code?

Don't bother, he's full of shit as usual. Paypal isn't charging anyone for a phone call. This isn't the 80's when people worried about long distance bills.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The only part I'd be inclined to believe is Karou eating rabbit food like snacks.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
easy peesy stopped old acct, started up the cramaq and batteries for keyboard didnt go but then just had to reclick to enter passward.. got browser to only australia me for like ten minutes when sinning up then got to have it change to us and wiiud linked to paypal no probalo, 30 pounds of rabbit nuggets sent momoinlaws hus fer 22.50$ waht a great day!!!

or wait...spent 2 and a half hours to get paypal to work because they wanted to text me(*chargesmay yeah right may apply) even tho first duder on the phone said there werent no suspicios logins fer reals... :help: I wonder why I couldnt be bothered to english good or give a shit about wut you u think while I was in hate of the internet gods today duchers.