Thread: Getting Started on JST Headers for Controller Repair

Akari's Big Brother

Getting Started on JST Headers for Controller Repair

So ive gotten a whole bunch of broken stuff over the years. Lots of controllers. Most times I can repair it but the one thing i havent had much luck on is cable replacement. For example...

api.textnow.jpg

Thats pulled from a Dualshock controller

I dont know a whole lot about the terminology but I believe this called a 8 Pin header, right angle.

I measured the distance between pins and its 1mm so I believe means its a 1mm pitch.

I would like to buy crimping tool (which are pretty easy to find) and housing and pins but i cant seem to find sets of 1mm pitch connectors. its usually a bunch 2.54mm pitch sets

I know there are a bunch of engineers here. Can somebody give some tips? I'm super confused.

That's a 9-pin connector. 8 wires present but one receptacle is empty. It looks like a non-disconnectable type (aka board-in), meaning that it is soldered directly to the PCB with no header and it's most probably this (or a clone tereof):

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=236

To know the pitch of an unknown connector measure the spacing across the two pins farther away from each other (in this case 1 and 9) and divide by the number of spacings (in this case 8). If the connector is what I said you should measure 16mm across pin 1 and 9 which makes it a 2mm pitch.

This tool will be fine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm//252542429842
    Last edited by MKL; 10-20-2017 at 09:13 AM.

ネオジオ

Welcome back MKL!!
    凄いゲームを連れて。。。売った。

Akari's Big Brother

Quote Originally Posted by MKL View Post
    That's a 9-pin connector. 8 wires present but one receptacle is empty. It looks like a non-disconnectable type (aka board-in), meaning that it is soldered directly to the PCB with no header and it's most probably this (or a clone tereof):
    oops i actually knew that it was 9 pins but i was too lost in frustration of the search. thanks for the correction.

To know the pitch of an unknown connector measure the spacing across the two pins farther away from each other (in this case 1 and 9) and divide by the number of spacings (in this case 8). If the connector is what I said you should measure 16mm across pin 1 and 9 which makes it a 2mm pitch.
    i just took a ruler with mm and lined up the pins. the lined up perfectly 1mm apart each.

so thats not the correct way to do it then.

This tool will be fine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm//252542429842
    thanks
    Last edited by Wachenroder; 10-21-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by massimiliano View Post
    Welcome back MKL!!
    Welcome back also from me MKL! if you want speak with me sometimes, please open you PM.

Akari's Big Brother

Quote Originally Posted by MKL View Post

ok so i understand what you said about pitch and connector style, This link you gave me basically explains everything as far as the terminology goes. Now I just need to know how to find it

i tried using the terms looking to search on a few sites like ebay and its a mess. ive tried places like mouser and digikey and those sites are a big sea of specialized parts. You have to be specific.

Id ultimately prefer to begin making my own but im open to already populated connectors.

If someone could provide a link, i could see a good example of how to search.

Akari's Big Brother

so this where you feed and crimp the wire

2320482-401.jpg

this is through pin that is soldered to the PCB?

2320482-402.jpg

this one confuses me. whats this bar for?

2320482-403.jpg

To hold the pin until you break it off and use it.

Akari's Big Brother

ok its excess from manufacturing then

Thread Information