Colin Kaepernick files grievance against NFL over 'collusion' not to sign him....

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
It's everyone else's fault he's terrible.

I support kneeling during the anthem.

I also support doing whatever you want during the anthem, as the same individuals that fought and died for our freedom, also fought and died for our right to be able to protest during the anthem.

Anyone that refuses to let people protest on their own is, in effect, un-american.

This country can be the greatest in the world, yet we choose to present ourselves as a garbage fire.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

I also support doing whatever you want during the anthem, as the same individuals that fought and died for our freedom, also fought and died for our right to be able to protest during the anthem.

Anyone that refuses to let people protest on their own is, in effect, un-american.

This country can be the greatest in the world, yet we choose to present ourselves as a garbage fire.

I should've made it clearer man...

My view is... can you sue people for not employing you?

xROTx

PS. My personal opinion is he's a standard bearer to free speech and rights...

But... seriously... suing someone for not employing you seems... odd...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

xROTx

If he can prove that the NFL refuses to hire him on the basis of his politics only, then he may have a case for colluding, especially if this was discussed amongst team owners.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I think it depends on if it's discrimination or not - not hiring someone based on their race, gender, if they're preggers or not, etc. I'd be surprised if you can get in trouble for not hiring someone because they'd be a PR liability.

I know this is off topic, but, devil's advocate, what would you say when the complainers say "Do it on your own time, not while you're working; I can't protest at my job and neither should you"?

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I know this is off topic, but, devil's advocate, what would you say when the complainers say "Do it on your own time, not while you're working; I can't protest at my job and neither should you"?

Protests are ineffective if they are convenient.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Here's where I am here...

The USA is a very... VERY patriotic country... rightly or wrongly, the main view in the USA is... them against us...

For one of it's Citizens who is in the public eye to dis' the National Anthem... well... it's gonna rub a LOT of people the wrong way...

SURE... he never has to work again as he's pretty rich... but for him to think they'd be no repercussions for his actions was sorta dumb...

The way I see it... the NFL owners can afford to have this run for YEARS (and prob bankrupt him)..... and by that time... his career will be over... and you know as well as I do... History has a SHORT memory...

xROTx

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

I would ask them where do they work that the national anthem and/or pledge of allegiance is compulsory.

Athletes have a much bigger stage than someone that works at a factory. If Joe in the maintenance shop has a problem with how minorities are treated in this country, and decides that he won't participate in that activity of standing during the anthem, no one would give a shit, save for his coworkers.

If Joe was on the defensive line and did that, it sends a message. Now, with times being what they are, that message gets skewered.

It just so happens s that Kapernick sucks donkey dick on the field, so no team would sign him, hence why he's still a free agent.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

xROTx

In the USA, yes. This often happens in EEOC matters, where a minority is passed over for a white person, or a woman is not hired because she’s a woman.

In the case of Colin Kaepernick, the argument is collusion of the owners to deny him employment. This is a bit trickier than all pf the owners simply agreeing that he sucks, but where they are working together to make sure he cannot find employment.

I pointed fammicommander to the artical where a former NBA player, Rauf, faced the same problem. First his minutes got cut, then he was only played in bad situations, and the result was that his statline suffered, making way for people to casually claim that he degressed. Same applied for Kaepernick, except his numbers were still objectively skyhigh compared the shit that received starting roles over the past 6 weeks (mccown, hoyer, and that old dude who the browns drafted).

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I would ask them where do they work that the national anthem and/or pledge of allegiance is compulsory.

Athletes have a much bigger stage than someone that works at a factory. If Joe in the maintenance shop has a problem with how minorities are treated in this country, and decides that he won't participate in that activity of standing during the anthem, no one would give a shit, save for his coworkers.

I think that's the argument - that a normal guy would get fired for not acting "properly" during the anthem. That said, I've never had a job where I've had to recite the national anthem.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I for one don't think Kapernick sucks. I don't think he's Brady or Rodgers but once Harbaugh left, he just spiraled out of control. He has a cannon for a arm, can sneak just as good if not better than any QB in the league, is very athletic, not the most accurate. Who knows what he would have done ON a new team. Sometimes players and coaches need a change of scenery.

That being said, although no team will admit it, he clearly is not being picked up because of what's been going on. No NFL team or locker room wants to deal with answering political questions every day. He would be a nightmare for any team. Greenbay could use him right now.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I for one don't think Kapernick sucks. I don't think he's Brady or Rodgers but once Harbaugh left, he just spiraled out of control. He has a cannon for a arm, can sneak just as good if not better than any QB in the league, is very athletic, not the most accurate. Who knows what he would have done ON a new team. Sometimes players and coaches need a change of scenery.

That being said, although no team will admit it, he clearly is not being picked up because of what's been going on. No NFL team or locker room wants to deal with answering political questions every day. He would be a nightmare for any team. Greenbay could use him right now.

Greenbay is about to plan their season around a guy who threw three picks in his first regular season game.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Greenbay is about to plan their season around a guy who threw three picks in his first regular season game.

That's true but I wouldn't judge the kid on one game. Thats a tough spot and it's going to be really hard to fill the shoes of the best QB in the league but they got enough weapons to maybe keep them in playoff contention till Rodgers comes back, if he comes back this season.

All they might need is a good game manager.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
That's true but I wouldn't judge the kid on one game. Thats a tough spot and it's going to be really hard to fill the shoes of the best QB in the league but they got enough weapons to maybe keep them in playoff contention till Rodgers comes back, if he comes back this season.

All they might need is a good game manager.

I'd by that if Green Bay didn't have a ton of OL troubles. A lot of their success is related to Rodgers ability to make something out of nothing.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don’t blame Hundley for the loss to the Vikings, as MN is a legit contender even without a good QB.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'd by that if Green Bay didn't have a ton of OL troubles. A lot of their success is related to Rodgers ability to make something out of nothing.

IMO Rodgers is one of the best QB's I ever seen play the game. He's smart, has a great arm, accurate, can run, can throw on the run from both sides, picks defenses apart. What he did in Dallas was amazing. He's a machine. Yea, without him, they wouldn't have the same record for sure.

I don’t blame Hundley for the loss to the Vikings, as MN is a legit contender even without a good QB.

Absolutley

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member

I now live in the SF bay area so I watched a bunch of his games last year. True, his numbers weren't horrible. But if you take garbage time away, they were. Yes he has a cannon for an arm, but unfortunately he throws passes so hard into players hands that it bounces right off of them. Or he was throwing passes over the receiver's heads or at their feet. His playing last year reminded me of the game that Josh Freeman played with the Vikings. Sure some of his passes were accurate, but nobody was able to catch them. I will admit that he was pretty good on his feet usually and did still have the ability to run. Who knows, maybe him on another team might have turned things around? But pretty hard for him to prove himself to another team if he demands to be a starter with a starting QB salary. He could benefit from being humble and jumping on ANY opportunity a team would offer him. League minimum for a backup QB is way more that $0.

Personally, I don't think Kaepernick even plans on playing again. I kinda feel this lawsuit proves it. Who the hell would sign him after this shit? It's not like you hear about him practicing, training, or even talking about football himself. I think he started the sitting, then kneeling during the anthem as a PR move thinking it would get him more (positive) media attention. I don't think he anticipated that it would get so big and so negative as quickly and to the extent that it has. I definitely could be totally wrong, that's just my perspective on his (not the other NFL players) protest.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Personally, I don't think Kaepernick even plans on playing again. I kinda feel this lawsuit proves it. Who the hell would sign him after this shit? It's not like you hear about him practicing, training, or even talking about football himself. I think he started the sitting, then kneeling during the anthem as a PR move thinking it would get him more (positive) media attention. I don't think he anticipated that it would get so big and so negative as quickly and to the extent that it has. I definitely could be totally wrong, that's just my perspective on his (not the other NFL players) protest.

Yea bro, I agree. His days in the NFL are done. Maybe someone hires him to be a back up for a season or two as a cover up just to show that it has nothing to do with his political views but It would suck for whatever team picks him up.

A-Train

Quiz Detective
20 Year Member
Surprisingly (but not really, given how emotional shitty football fans get when talking about Kaepernick), I've only seen one story early on that talked about the real reason for the lawsuit. According to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, if the owners are found guilty of collusion in even one case, the whole CBA is blown up and they have to start over on a new one. So while Kaepernick still thinks he can play and deserves a shot over other guys that have been signed (and being a lifelong Dolphins fan who lives in the Chicago area, I would have to say he's got a point), he's really doing this to screw over the owners and hopefully strengthen the players union.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Surprisingly (but not really, given how emotional shitty football fans get when talking about Kaepernick), I've only seen one story early on that talked about the real reason for the lawsuit. According to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, if the owners are found guilty of collusion in even one case, the whole CBA is blown up and they have to start over on a new one. So while Kaepernick still thinks he can play and deserves a shot over other guys that have been signed (and being a lifelong Dolphins fan who lives in the Chicago area, I would have to say he's got a point), he's really doing this to screw over the owners and hopefully strengthen the players union.

Based on his successes during the Harbaugh era he, at least, deserves another shot. However, I don't think he has a real case unless he's got some kind of hard evidence to prove collusion.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Ryan Mallet, Brandon Weedon, and Matt Cassel are all occupying roster spots. The evidence doesn't get anymore damning than that.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ryan Mallet, Brandon Weedon, and Matt Cassel are all occupying roster spots. The evidence doesn't get anymore damning than that.

I do not watch football and I do not know those names. But I do know Kaepernick. He was the originator.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Going a step further, his agents have documented contact with 32 teams, some of which teams have kicked the tires on everyone but Kaepernick. The joke that you add in the complaint is that the Packers then considered Brett Favre as a replacement for Aaron Rodgers.