Has anyone tried the Retrovision component cables?

NeoField

Rugal's Thug
Hi all,

Has anyone tried the Retrovision component cables on their Neo Geo AES? Just curious to hear a review if they are worth the price or would it be better just to get my system modded.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Well if you do get it modded I know voultar is working on a RGB bypass for both MVS/AES to fix video issues and shit so I would wait for that.

What type of tv are you hooking it up to?

In any case HDretrovision makes quality products, I am sure you will have no problems with it. Just be aware that if your AES has vertical lines you still need to mod it to fix them most likely.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have RV cables for Snes, Genny, and the adapter for the Neo. It all depends on what tv you are using. My Samsung plasma plays nice with the Genny but doesn't like the Neo or Snes. When I run it on my led in the other room, it works great.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks using it on my Samsung 65" curved, don't have a crt sadly :(

The refresh rate on the Neo might cause the tv to skip frames or look like it's freezing. Again, you have to test it with your tv and see what happens.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
I have the Retrovision cable. Don't use it much as I'm on RGB. The AES looks decent with these cables... exactly the same as an AES I have modded for component.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
It may not be relevant to you since it's not a Neo, it I have used their cables with my Genesis and Saturn on a CRT, and it looks great. As people have already said tho, mileage will vary on HDTV's. Some play nice with a 240p signal, some don't. They have instructions on their website to test if your TV is compatible tho, so that should help if you're not sure.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't have these cables, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work fine on a CRT if you're happy with component. No modding needed unless your system has bad RGB. As per usual.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I wouldn’t buy these cables if you’re a gamer who has many other (retro) video game systems. You would be better off going RGB all around; then if you still want to use a YPbPr/Component connection type (which there’s nothing wrong with, it can be great quality) on a certain TV/monitor, get a RGB to YPbPr converter box. This is a better method because:

• HD Retrovision cables are expensive and have to be bought for each system you use them on
• Retrovision aren’t made for every system
• Retrovision cables are commonly out of stock
• You only need a single (one time purchase) RGB to YPbPr/Component converter box to use with ALL your RGB systems (I suggest the Shinybow SB-2840)
• Decent RGB cables can be as cheap as $8 (ex. Cinpel for SNES/N64/GC - nicer ones are around ~$21 though)
• RGB is the ‘industry-standard’ connection method many of us have come to use
• RGB is the highest quality input for high-end CRT monitors like Sony PVM/BVM’s
• RGB is the preferred (or most commonly used at least) input for upscalers like the Framemeister and OSSC
• You get to join the RGB fanboy club and yell at other people for using quote-on-quote “inferior” connection types

If you ONLY have this one system, and don’t care about it still looking kinda lackluster non-upscaled on your modern ~60” LED flatscreen, or want to simply plug it into a consumer standard definition CRT TV, then definitely pick the Retrovision cable up – it’s absolutely perfect for that. But many of us would be better served by a setup similar to what I’ve described.

Last edited:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
They look awesome on a SDTV with component in but a my HDTV panasonic plasma they look no better than S Video.