Old Style or CD Pro Stick?

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I'll get this out of the way first, I'm a NG n00b. Never had the chance to own one when I was younger but now I do and its slowly dawning how little I know.

Not really sure where to post this as its a fk'in n00b (see above) question.

I have an old style stick and a CD pad but want another stick - should I just get another old style or pro stick? Seen a pro stick boxed for $60 I might jump on but if they are shit, I'll just get an old style.

Will be for mix of all games, not just one genre.

Help appreciated, although a good ribbing is expected.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Old Style stick always.

My feelin about it as well. The pro stick (bean stick) feels too small and awkward imo compared to the OG stick. The bean stick iss not a bad stick, but having bought an AES back in '91 there were no other controllers for it then so I got used to the OG stick. So for me it's mostly OG stick as that's what I'm used to. For instance, I've got nice modded sticks from Arcadeworks. But the bone stock OG sticks are what I'm still using...

joala

PM wyo, he's happy to give n00bs a good ribbing.

giphy.gif

My feelin about it as well. The pro stick (bean stick) feels too small and awkward imo compared to the OG stick. The bean stick iss not a bad stick, but having bought an AES back in '91 there were no other controllers for it then so I got used to the OG stick. So for me it's mostly OG stick as that's what I'm used to. For instance, I've got nice modded sticks from Arcadeworks. But the bone stock OG sticks are what I'm still using...

Noted - I shall seek out an old style instead. Cheers for the opinionionions

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
you need to use the SEARCH FUNCTION (or google plus site:neo-geo.com/forums) - there are so many threads about this... and my advice as always will be: build your own stick (or mod an existing one) - it's easy, gratifying and if you use the right parts, the result will be above the oldstyle. (look on these boards, shoryuken, slagcoin.com or whatever if you don't know how to do it)

Also consider modding your oldstyle with sanwa or seimitsu buttons, putting a fresh spring in it, some lube and adding a JNX GOTW...

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Taken from the recently posted Oda interview:

"Thinking back, those controllers were definitely a distinguishing aspect and could easily be seen as embodying the soul of SNK."

He's talking about the old style one's, for sure. If you're not good with that one, you won't be with other sticks either.

joala

you need to use the SEARCH FUNCTION (or google plus site:neo-geo.com/forums) - there are so many threads about this... and my advice as always will be: build your own stick (or mod an existing one) - it's easy, gratifying and if you use the right parts, the result will be above the oldstyle. (look on these boards, shoryuken, slagcoin.com or whatever if you don't know how to do it)

Also consider modding your oldstyle with sanwa or seimitsu buttons, putting a fresh spring in it, some lube and adding a JNX GOTW...

Sorry brother, I did try to search but was searching what I thought was its name "CD controller Pro", maybe I was searching for the wrong terms.

Yeha I've seen what some of the talented peeps have done with them, I like the multi colour buttons, look pretty rad :buttrock:

Once I source a old stick, I'll definitely look into that.

Cheers

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
CD stick or a custom stick.

You should perhaps stop posting stupid question threads however.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Sure a Custom stick is the best option overall but the best out of the box console stick is the old style stick hands down. I keep a few around and switch it up to just to enjoy the feel of the old one.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Both are pretty good but I would say old style stick hands down. Using an arcade stick is a little more precise than say a controller as you can have all your fingers/thumb on all four buttons and it makes complex inputs we all know and love from snk a lot easier imo. The old style stick really can't be compared to modern Sanwa and Seimetsu sticks/buttons, but it was quite good for its time and gets the job done well even now. I like replacing the ballltop with a bigger diameter one as im a fagger

With that said I never liked the curve layout it had, way too curved imo. I like my buttons being slanted down a little more as I find it bit more ergonomic. Kinda like this button layout almost, maybe a little higher arch. That or Blast City or Egret 2 2x3 button layout with A-C being your fingers, D being your thumb since im so used to playing Capcom fighters.

3550460635_c43e72a687_o.jpg

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Both are pretty good but I would say old style stick hands down. Using an arcade stick is a little more precise than say a controller as you can have all your fingers/thumb on all four buttons and it makes complex inputs we all know and love from snk a lot easier imo. The old style stick really can't be compared to modern Sanwa and Seimetsu sticks/buttons, but it was quite good for its time and gets the job done well even now. I like replacing the ballltop with a bigger diameter one as im a fagger

With that said I never liked the curve layout it had, way too curved imo. I like my buttons being slanted down a little more as I find it bit more ergonomic. Kinda like this button layout almost, maybe a little higher arch. That or Blast City or Egret 2 2x3 button layout with A-C being your fingers, D being your thumb since im so used to playing Capcom fighters.

3550460635_c43e72a687_o.jpg

SqCbw2k.gif

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
Og Style for sure then mod it like XSQ said. I went that route and haven't looked back.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I usually play with a PS2 Hori stick with an adapter. Neither of the OEM SNK sticks are very good unless you mod them.

joala

Sourced myself an OG stick

Will stick the 8-way in and mod the buttons as per recommendations

Cheers for the advice

joala

So I wasnt really sure where to post this, there are lots of other threads on this stuff so thought I'd keep it here

I got my OG stick today and have been doing the button mod and cleaning it.....

Before:

20171112_102006.jpg

20171112_102246.jpg

And after:

20171112_130602.jpg

20171112_132232.jpg

20171112_132257.jpg

The ball top hasnt arrived but ordered same colour as the buttons. Everything cleaned, lubed and I can highly recommend this stuff for getting a lot of scratches out.....

20171112_134455.jpg

Wouldnt mind some weights for it to make it feel a bit more like it could take a bit more of an arsekicking

Massive thanks to themisterfalcon for his great OG mod thread which helped a lot

Just want a CMVS now :D

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
although i'm not a fan of changing the original buttons from the neo stick, that those look better. those scratches are mostly gone.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That scratch removal stuff looks interesting.

I can't tell by the photos, but does it also remove the texture of the plastic? There is this fine, almost bumpy texture to the surface of the plastic of the stick. Would be a shame to buff that out.

joala

That scratch removal stuff looks interesting.

I can't tell by the photos, but does it also remove the texture of the plastic? There is this fine, almost bumpy texture to the surface of the plastic of the stick. Would be a shame to buff that out.

Its not so abrasive that it takes the finish off, its pretty impressive. You literally cant tell where I've used it, apart from there being no scratches now. No haze, white residue, nada.

Just for you, heres a photo of an area I had given plenty of elbow grease with the ScratchX

20171112_151808.jpg

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
heres a photo of an area I had given plenty of elbow grease with the ScratchX
pretty big improvement... wonder if it will last or if the scratches will come back. how does that stuff work?

joala

pretty big improvement... wonder if it will last or if the scratches will come back. how does that stuff work?

They havent done so far...

Its not got rid of the deep deep scratches but minor ones and scuffs were dealt with very well. Its fucking magic. I reckon a few more times over and I'll get more out.

joala