Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Old Style or CD Pro Stick?

  1. #1
    NEST Puppet
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    170

    Old Style or CD Pro Stick?

    I'll get this out of the way first, I'm a NG n00b. Never had the chance to own one when I was younger but now I do and its slowly dawning how little I know.

    Not really sure where to post this as its a fk'in n00b (see above) question.

    I have an old style stick and a CD pad but want another stick - should I just get another old style or pro stick? Seen a pro stick boxed for $60 I might jump on but if they are shit, I'll just get an old style.

    Will be for mix of all games, not just one genre.

    Help appreciated, although a good ribbing is expected.
    Spice god of Borneo...


  2. #2
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    5,412
    Old Style stick always.

  3. #3
    Mr Square Eyes.
    bubba966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington

    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_HOE! View Post
    Old Style stick always.
    My feelin about it as well. The pro stick (bean stick) feels too small and awkward imo compared to the OG stick. The bean stick iss not a bad stick, but having bought an AES back in '91 there were no other controllers for it then so I got used to the OG stick. So for me it's mostly OG stick as that's what I'm used to. For instance, I've got nice modded sticks from Arcadeworks. But the bone stock OG sticks are what I'm still using...


    [Rot] 2:38 am: Z'OMG... ANYTHING... is cool in 15/70... even GregN home movies

  4. #4
    Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Boston

    Posts
    5,565
    Quote Originally Posted by joala View Post
    Help appreciated, although a good ribbing is expected.
    PM wyo, he's happy to give n00bs a good ribbing.
    >

  5. #5
    NEST Puppet
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    PM wyo, he's happy to give n00bs a good ribbing.




    Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    My feelin about it as well. The pro stick (bean stick) feels too small and awkward imo compared to the OG stick. The bean stick iss not a bad stick, but having bought an AES back in '91 there were no other controllers for it then so I got used to the OG stick. So for me it's mostly OG stick as that's what I'm used to. For instance, I've got nice modded sticks from Arcadeworks. But the bone stock OG sticks are what I'm still using...

    Noted - I shall seek out an old style instead. Cheers for the opinionionions
    Last edited by joala; 10-15-2017 at 03:16 AM.
    Spice god of Borneo...


  6. #6
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,420
    you need to use the SEARCH FUNCTION (or google plus site:neo-geo.com/forums) - there are so many threads about this... and my advice as always will be: build your own stick (or mod an existing one) - it's easy, gratifying and if you use the right parts, the result will be above the oldstyle. (look on these boards, shoryuken, slagcoin.com or whatever if you don't know how to do it)


    Also consider modding your oldstyle with sanwa or seimitsu buttons, putting a fresh spring in it, some lube and adding a JNX GOTW...
    Last edited by xsq; 10-15-2017 at 05:02 AM.

  7. #7
    Chang's Grocer

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cologne

    Posts
    4,557
    Taken from the recently posted Oda interview:

    "Thinking back, those controllers were definitely a distinguishing aspect and could easily be seen as embodying the soul of SNK."

    He's talking about the old style one's, for sure. If you're not good with that one, you won't be with other sticks either.

  8. #8
    NEST Puppet
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    you need to use the SEARCH FUNCTION (or google plus site:neo-geo.com/forums) - there are so many threads about this... and my advice as always will be: build your own stick (or mod an existing one) - it's easy, gratifying and if you use the right parts, the result will be above the oldstyle. (look on these boards, shoryuken, slagcoin.com or whatever if you don't know how to do it)


    Also consider modding your oldstyle with sanwa or seimitsu buttons, putting a fresh spring in it, some lube and adding a JNX GOTW...

    Sorry brother, I did try to search but was searching what I thought was its name "CD controller Pro", maybe I was searching for the wrong terms.

    Yeha I've seen what some of the talented peeps have done with them, I like the multi colour buttons, look pretty rad

    Once I source a old stick, I'll definitely look into that.

    Cheers
    Spice god of Borneo...


  9. #9
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    AUST

    Posts
    10,062
    CD stick or a custom stick.

    You should perhaps stop posting stupid question threads however.



    For the tunes lovers!

  10. #10
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    5,412
    Sure a Custom stick is the best option overall but the best out of the box console stick is the old style stick hands down. I keep a few around and switch it up to just to enjoy the feel of the old one.

  11. #11
    We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.
    ChuChu Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    US

    Posts
    1,730
    Both are pretty good but I would say old style stick hands down. Using an arcade stick is a little more precise than say a controller as you can have all your fingers/thumb on all four buttons and it makes complex inputs we all know and love from snk a lot easier imo. The old style stick really can't be compared to modern Sanwa and Seimetsu sticks/buttons, but it was quite good for its time and gets the job done well even now. I like replacing the ballltop with a bigger diameter one as im a fagger

    With that said I never liked the curve layout it had, way too curved imo. I like my buttons being slanted down a little more as I find it bit more ergonomic. Kinda like this button layout almost, maybe a little higher arch. That or Blast City or Egret 2 2x3 button layout with A-C being your fingers, D being your thumb since im so used to playing Capcom fighters.

    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 10-15-2017 at 01:15 PM.


    he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.

  12. #12
    Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Boston

    Posts
    5,565
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuChu Flamingo View Post
    Both are pretty good but I would say old style stick hands down. Using an arcade stick is a little more precise than say a controller as you can have all your fingers/thumb on all four buttons and it makes complex inputs we all know and love from snk a lot easier imo. The old style stick really can't be compared to modern Sanwa and Seimetsu sticks/buttons, but it was quite good for its time and gets the job done well even now. I like replacing the ballltop with a bigger diameter one as im a fagger

    With that said I never liked the curve layout it had, way too curved imo. I like my buttons being slanted down a little more as I find it bit more ergonomic. Kinda like this button layout almost, maybe a little higher arch. That or Blast City or Egret 2 2x3 button layout with A-C being your fingers, D being your thumb since im so used to playing Capcom fighters.

    >

  13. #13
    Armored Scrum Object
    Shipwreck_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cosmos

    Posts
    247
    Og Style for sure then mod it like XSQ said. I went that route and haven't looked back.

    US Neo Geo AES system: serial #015732

  14. #14
    Mr Big's Escort
    Bogard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    LONDON

    Posts
    2,894
    hori neo stick all the way

  15. #15
    Neo*Geomancer
    wyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL

    Posts
    4,529
    I usually play with a PS2 Hori stick with an adapter. Neither of the OEM SNK sticks are very good unless you mod them.

  16. #16
    NEST Puppet
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    170
    Sourced myself an OG stick

    Will stick the 8-way in and mod the buttons as per recommendations

    Cheers for the advice
    Spice god of Borneo...


  17. #17
    NEST Puppet
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    170
    So I wasnt really sure where to post this, there are lots of other threads on this stuff so thought I'd keep it here

    I got my OG stick today and have been doing the button mod and cleaning it.....

    Before:






    And after:









    The ball top hasnt arrived but ordered same colour as the buttons. Everything cleaned, lubed and I can highly recommend this stuff for getting a lot of scratches out.....



    Wouldnt mind some weights for it to make it feel a bit more like it could take a bit more of an arsekicking

    Massive thanks to themisterfalcon for his great OG mod thread which helped a lot

    Just want a CMVS now
    Spice god of Borneo...


  18. #18
    Mr Big's Escort
    Bogard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    LONDON

    Posts
    2,894
    although i'm not a fan of changing the original buttons from the neo stick, that those look better. those scratches are mostly gone.

  19. #19
    . Yodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH

    Posts
    2,733
    That scratch removal stuff looks interesting.

    I can't tell by the photos, but does it also remove the texture of the plastic? There is this fine, almost bumpy texture to the surface of the plastic of the stick. Would be a shame to buff that out.
    Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on Youtube!


    [Rot] 1:50 pm: ladyboys are HAWT!

  20. #20
    NEST Puppet
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodd View Post
    That scratch removal stuff looks interesting.

    I can't tell by the photos, but does it also remove the texture of the plastic? There is this fine, almost bumpy texture to the surface of the plastic of the stick. Would be a shame to buff that out.
    Its not so abrasive that it takes the finish off, its pretty impressive. You literally cant tell where I've used it, apart from there being no scratches now. No haze, white residue, nada.

    Just for you, heres a photo of an area I had given plenty of elbow grease with the ScratchX

    Last edited by joala; 11-12-2017 at 02:23 AM.
    Spice god of Borneo...


  21. #21
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,420
    Quote Originally Posted by joala View Post
    heres a photo of an area I had given plenty of elbow grease with the ScratchX
    pretty big improvement... wonder if it will last or if the scratches will come back. how does that stuff work?

  22. #22
    NEST Puppet
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    pretty big improvement... wonder if it will last or if the scratches will come back. how does that stuff work?
    They havent done so far...

    Its not got rid of the deep deep scratches but minor ones and scuffs were dealt with very well. Its fucking magic. I reckon a few more times over and I'll get more out.
    Spice god of Borneo...


  23. #23
    Timid Neo Newbie

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    greece

    Posts
    5
    maybe an LS-56-01 could fit there.....

  24. #24
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,420
    Quote Originally Posted by mdd45 View Post
    maybe an LS-56-01 could fit there.....
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...anwa-Stick-Mod

  25. #25
    NEST Puppet
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    170
    This was one of the threads I used for the button mod.

    The stick is fine once lubed up.

    The larger ball top arrived and I'm not sure I like it compared to the smaller original one. The larger one adds more weight and seems to make it more sensitive. Maybe a few more ass kickings off Jack and I'll get the hang of it...
    Spice god of Borneo...


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •