• Complete in box

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Loosey goosey

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Games that came in cardboard boxes I don't go for complete just a loose cart only. PCE, SMS, Genny & MD I get complete don't care about warranty cards or extras just game, manual, case & insert.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Games that came in cardboard boxes I don't go for complete just a loose cart only. PCE, SMS, Genny & MD I get complete don't care about warranty cards or extras just game, manual, case & insert.

This man gets it.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Master System and Genesis games I want with the case and manual. NES and SNES I"m all about the loose carts. When I was a kid, I always threw the NES game boxes away, because to me they were no different than the packaging for any other toy. With the Genesis, I kept the cases for obvious reasons.

I don't fault anyone for collecting CIB, but I definitely understand Kid Panda's point of view, and agree with it to a certain degree. Reddit, FB, Instagram, Imgur, etc. are all full of collectards who spend 'til it hurts buying minty games that they're never going to play, and I honestly believe that half the point of doing so is to post pictures of the stuff online and enjoy the circle-jerky adulation they get from like-minded people.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
If it looks like it should have lasted then I expect it to have lasted. SNES, cart and manual is fine. Mega drive, I want the box too.

Game Gear - I can live without the box but I would still like to have the plastic case, because there's no reason for it to not still be around.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Definitely conditional. Famicom, loose. Forget trying to collect that stuff. PCE games generally come with their original case. Same with MD/Genesis for the most part.

But Super Famicom games have some of the best box art out there. And for that reason alone I prefer my copies CIB-ish. Don't care about reg cards etc. just a nice clean box, manual and a game that isn't covered in second hand smoke.

This book is a big fat trap for collectards: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Famicom-Box-Art-Collection/dp/0993012965

Fortunately most people in Japan kept their copies complete, probably due to the fact that they came with a plastic tray for easy removal/storage. SNES boxes (I think) have just more cardboard inside the cardboard.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Fortunately most people in Japan kept their copies complete, probably due to the fact that they came with a plastic tray for easy removal/storage. SNES boxes (I think) have just more cardboard inside the cardboard.

Same w/US vs JP N64 games. JP N64 games also had much thicker stock cardboard. NOA knew most people just tossed boxes out.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
On occasion, there were SNES games that had cool stuff on the boxes like F-Zero: They talk about the game in comic form as told by the characters which was different than the other launch releases, and different than the Player's Choice re-release. Anyway, it's as I said: for me, it's about the whole experience, which is why I'll always go for fully complete.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
That book looks like an incredible coffee table art book. I'm gonna probably end up getting it as I love the art.

You won't be disappointed! I got that book a few months ago, and it is fantastic! There is just enough info about each title and history behind the art/artist itself/themselves, and the production values of the book are on point to where you could have a classy dinner party and have this book out on the coffee table; it's that visually accessible.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Attn: All those in the recent purchases thread that compared me to this guy...

I am putting you all on notice right now, god dammit! :blow_top:

Why? You got compared because you were shitting on this guy as a noob who just got into collecting complete MD games, just like yourself. There’s no reason to be elitist about it. You share the same interest as this guy and both are clawing at a full set within the last couple of years - not “25 years ago”.

Don’t be mad. Don’t be a hypocrite either. ;)

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Why? You got compared because you were shitting on this guy as a noob who just got into collecting complete MD games, just like yourself. There’s no reason to be elitist about it. You share the same interest as this guy and both are clawing at a full set within the last couple of years - not “25 years ago”.

Don’t be mad. Don’t be a hypocrite either. ;)

Sorry my high level trolling flew over you and madman's heads. I'll try to keep it simpler in future :keke:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Sorry my high level trolling flew over you and madman's heads. I'll try to keep it simpler in future :keke:

Oh, I get it, you were intentionally throwing yourself under the bus in an attempt to troll some noob (just joking, not really trolling, I’m the same as you i collect MD too lol!)

Madman and I got trolled too... clever.

I don’t buy that for a second.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I thought you guys would get it. This is very disappointing.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Oh, I get it, you were intentionally throwing yourself under the bus in an attempt to troll some noob (just joking, not really trolling, I’m the same as you i collect MD too lol!)

Madman and I got trolled too... clever.

I don’t buy that for a second.

Exactly.

wyo:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I thought you guys would get it. This is very disappointing.

I dunno man. If there was irony to it, yup, I missed it. Feels like a cover up to me. I’d have let it go too if you didn’t feel the need to “put me on notice”. Was that trolling too?

Maybe I’m just trolling you. :keke:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I dunno man. If there was irony to it, yup, I missed it. Feels like a cover up to me. I’d have let it go too if you didn’t feel the need to “put me on notice”. Was that trolling too?

Maybe I’m just trolling you. :keke:

Oh shit, it's a reverse double-troll! :lolz:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Me. My family was quite poor in the 80's and 90's, so I appreciated and took care of everything I got on the very rare occasion I was ever gifted a game.

I have to agree with this. I still have all my original nes carts in boxes with everything inside when my parents bought the few games I had, new.

Its a deeper level of respect for what little you have.