are the days of finding anything collectible in the wild long gone?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The thing about garage sales is that you have to ask. I ask about video games every place I go. Sometimes, they didn't even think to put them out. I've had someone say "Yeah, I've got an original Playstation let me go get it". Turned out, it was a Top Load Nes and 20 quality carts.

We'll see...and this is a big curiosity for me. Will modern disc based games (PS2 era+) ever become as collectible as cart based system? For some reason, I want to say no, no it won't...but I may be wrong.

First party Nintendo titles (GCN, Wii and WiiU), are already highly sought after. I think that the WII-U titles will be highly collectible (being that they didn't sell that well).

As for PS3/Xbox/Ps4/360: The issue dragging down the AAA titles for these systems is sequels. So many uninspired sequels. A new title every year from the same franchise. That's sports game territory.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The thing about garage sales is that you have to ask. I ask about video games every place I go. Sometimes, they didn't even think to put them out. I've had someone say "Yeah, I've got an original Playstation let me go get it". Turned out, it was a Top Load Nes and 20 quality carts.

First party Nintendo titles (GCN, Wii and WiiU), are already highly sought after. I think that the WII-U titles will be highly collectible (being that they didn't sell that well).

As for PS3/Xbox/Ps4/360: The issue dragging down the AAA titles for these systems is sequels. So many uninspired sequels. A new title every year from the same franchise. That's sports game territory.

...and the fact that without any available patches, some games may literally become unplayable.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Those prices for some pieces of cardboard....

Fucking stupid ridiculous. Just like the shelf queen its in a plastic sleeve double locked so no can play with it or in a safety deposit box. If you dont play them sell them.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
We'll see...and this is a big curiosity for me. Will modern disc based games (PS2 era+) ever become as collectible as cart based system? For some reason, I want to say no, no it won't...but I may be wrong.

I don't think it's because of it being on disc since the generations before it have a few already that fetch a pretty penny. Rondo of Blood is a good example off the top of my head. If anything discs might be rarer over time since they are so easy to damage.

I think the cut off will be the PS3/360 era when DLC started to come out for everything. Who wants to pay top dollar for part of a game?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
...and the fact that without any available patches, some games may literally become unplayable.

In 10 years Trip will be collecting those and putting them next to his unplayable DivX movies.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Flea markets here are mostly stands run by turks with overpriced shit in awful condition. The rest is moldy clothes and board games from the 70s

Came across an actual store like this in Tuscon over the summer.
weird shit, like $18 for a PS2 memory card, or Madden 02 for $8.

All games PSX era and older were shoved in glass cases with with the prices hidden
Did have Silent Hill and Breath of Fire III that I asked about for kicks.
something like $60 and $70, but "since you want both, I'll take off $10 if you get them today"

Sorry, I ain't paying $40 for a loveless buttfucking.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Came across an actual store like this in Tuscon over the summer.
weird shit, like $18 for a PS2 memory card, or Madden 02 for $8.

All games PSX era and older were shoved in glass cases with with the prices hidden
Did have Silent Hill and Breath of Fire III that I asked about for kicks.
something like $60 and $70, but "since you want both, I'll take off $10 if you get them today"

Sorry, I ain't paying $40 for a loveless buttfucking.

There was a local shop here for about three years, nothing had prices on it, why? Cause the owner would go on eBay when you asked and then tack on another 20%. Said it was "a price guide" that he had access to. I was on the other side of the store when someone asked and he pulls up eBay. I call him out on it and was asked to leave and banned.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There was a local shop here for about three years, nothing had prices on it, why? Cause the owner would go on eBay when you asked and then tack on another 20%. Said it was "a price guide" that he had access to. I was on the other side of the store when someone asked and he pulls up eBay. I call him out on it and was asked to leave and banned.

Wow, getting teh ban hammer in real life. Respect.

PS. Was this Rot's pawn shop?

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member

there's a local pawn shop that will do that sometimes.
the second they say they "have to go check" I just leave.
it's too bad their prices are generally okay.

the "big boy" pawn shop chain around here though, if it's not marked, the employee usually says $3, so I've gotten some scoops that way.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Depends what you're into. The prices of video games are easy for anyone to identify because their name is printed on the label. Figurines, etc, have always been hard to identify. I remember years ago when a figures dealer couldn't give me the price on one of his items because he couldn't find it on his spreadsheet - even after I told him the name of the figure he said, "No, that can't be it".

That, and there's a sort of generational effect. You may go hunting and see trash, but someone a few years younger than you may see nostalgia. Their market will soon dry up in the wild, too, and the cycle continues with the next half-generation.