are the days of finding anything collectible in the wild long gone?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I still find good stuff at thrift stores and rummage sales for ridiculously cheap prices; it's just a matter of luck and being in the right place at the right time. I didn't buy them, but I even found some Japanese Sega Game Gear cartridges at a local thrift store that were only a buck a piece.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I have no desire to go to yard sales and thrift shops, rummaging through piles of junk in the hopes of finding a video game that I don't already have, or actually want, or that may be valuable. What a waste of time. I find it hard to believe people can spend so much time looking for shit. I don't have that kind of time, and even if I did, I'd rather be actually playing the games I already have.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have no desire to go to yard sales and thrift shops, rummaging through piles of junk in the hopes of finding a video game that I don't already have, or actually want, or that may be valuable. What a waste of time. I find it hard to believe people can spend so much time looking for shit. I don't have that kind of time, and even if I did, I'd rather be actually playing the games I already have.

Same here. People get a kick out of going to these Yard Sales and Flea Markets. I recall going to Flea Markets when I was a kid with my parents but as a adult I can't recall ever going to one. Yea, time is just too precious now in days plus what game is out there that I can't emulate or play on a flash cart.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Flea markets here are mostly stands run by turks with overpriced shit in awful condition. The rest is moldy clothes and board games from the 70s

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Flea markets here are mostly stands run by turks with overpriced shit in awful condition. The rest is moldy clothes and board games from the 70s

Not much different over here.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
The fact that ebay sold item prices aren't accurately displayed when a best offer option is accepted just accelerates the the ridiculous race to the bottom of nonsense prices.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
i buy old pokemon and MTG cards, and you can still find good deals out in the wild. some of the older 1st edition pokemon foils can be found on the cheap, but in my time I've never found anything particularly rare or expensive MTG-wise.

video games, sadly, are damn near dead. best thing i got was a front loading NES over the summer with Mario/Duck Hunt for 10 bucks, no cords

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My GF went to a sale this summer where the guy was dumping everything. games for $1 ea, systems for $20. Everybody was fighting over shit as he brought it out.

Boxed NES
Lots of N64's
Lots of Awesome 64 games (All the top Mario/Zeldas).
It was nuts.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
If you think finding something everybody knows is rare is the only way to find treasures out there then you may be right. The trick is finding stuff people don't know is a big deal later on down the road.

I.E. Original Xbox games are mostly affordable. I found the Punisher game for $10 a couple months ago. Considering it was a really good game and over time the discs get rarer and rarer over time it could jump up in price.

That's how I got most of my rare titles. Buying them when they weren't.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I had dug through a pile of junk at a flea market to find that Judge Dredd demo cart. That was years ago already.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Things used to be different. Pawn shop runs were easy, didn't take a ton of time, and produced some big scores. I once found a copy of Final Fight Guy on the SNES in a local joint for $10. I actually found a ton of stuff at pawn shops over the years.

Local classified ads, garage sales? I didn't spend as much time with those, but I still managed to get some seriously good stuff way back when.

Eventually, it got to the point where you are now, total waste of time.

If you think finding something everybody knows is rare is the only way to find treasures out there then you may be right. The trick is finding stuff people don't know is a big deal later on down the road.

I.E. Original Xbox games are mostly affordable. I found the Punisher game for $10 a couple months ago. Considering it was a really good game and over time the discs get rarer and rarer over time it could jump up in price.

That's how I got most of my rare titles. Buying them when they weren't.

We'll see...and this is a big curiosity for me. Will modern disc based games (PS2 era+) ever become as collectible as cart based system? For some reason, I want to say no, no it won't...but I may be wrong.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I had dug through a pile of junk at a flea market to find that Judge Dredd demo cart. That was years ago already.

this kind of stuff was very satisfying indeed back in the day.
the thing is, it's not about finds in the wild
it's about having reached a point intime when everything that's worth a damn has been found, unveiled, disclosed, accounted for. it's like there's nothing really left to say - all the hidden gems layed out before us.
not so much a complaint, more a lament.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
We'll see...and this is a big curiosity for me. Will modern disc based games (PS2 era+) ever become as collectible as cart based system? For some reason, I want to say no, no it won't...but I may be wrong.
they will eventually when physical media disappears and time passes. but this all being a fetish of sorts, I thing it will only comprise of games where the manual was still a thing.

I think the cut off point was PS3 and not PS2 in terms of what one can consider a modern disc based system. that the PS2 has not been a collector's console yet doesn't mean that the Dreamcast, which was of the time, has not been for years.

eventually Sony consoles in general will be the next 2600 in terms of collecion. maybe the Wii as well.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I stopped caring about going out to thrift stores and the like around 2013. The items i want now are not going to be at thrift stores anyway

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I still find good stuff at thrift stores and rummage sales for ridiculously cheap prices; it's just a matter of luck and being in the right place at the right time. I didn't buy them, but I even found some Japanese Sega Game Gear cartridges at a local thrift store that were only a buck a piece.

I never find anything at thrift stores, best i found was a PS2 slim for 6 bucks. They were also selling the power cord separate and i had to argue with them to include it. Was at Salvation army store a few weeks ago and they had a roughed up SNES with some shitty common games in a silent auction. Garage sales are pretty much the only good place left, but it can take alot of gas and time to find anything.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Best way to get items? Make friends with a recycle store owner, some of the items they don't show people are treasures and they usually let you get first dibs on items at a heavy discount.