What's your opinion on loot boxes?

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I never use any of the inbuilt micro transactions in a game after I payed $59.99 for a physical game. The feeling of being ripped off is just too great for me, and that is a feeling I don't like.

I can understand why micro transactions are there if the game is free to play though, like Hearthstone.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I had to look up what a loot box is. Zero tolerance for any form of DLC, let alone random shit.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
The only thing that bothers me is when there's a weapon in some guys box that gives them such an unfair advantage, that the game isn't fun. But i guess that's what drives people to pay for more boxes...the hope of having the unfair advantage.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I blame the folks who buy into this shit and validate the publishers' greedy business model. If enough people voted with their wallets and boycotted lootboxes they would disappear.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
I blame the folks who buy into this shit and validate the publishers' greedy business model. If enough people voted with their wallets and boycotted lootboxes they would disappear.

The same could be said for price gougers and scalpels.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
My opinion:

The AAA gaming industry thinks they know where its bread is buttered.

Graphics. Presentation. Wowing the casual customers. That's where they think the real money is.

In order to outdo each other, the budgets keep rising. And it's not just the production costs of the games themselves. The marketing costs are getting pretty high.

Based on the current (broken) production model, selling at $60 a pop is turning into a money pit. The only problem is that they've gotten so used to the production cycle being like this that they only know how to ramp up. They don't know how to scale down because they either lack the vision or aren't willing to take a chance on something a bit more humble.

Nowadays, it's all gotten so bloated that that if they were to include all the intended content in a single release and using accurate pricing to actually make money on a release, the games would likely be $100.

The only problem there is that people won't buy a game for $100 in the same quantities that they'll buy it at $60.

So they're trying to figure out other ways to keep grabbing the attention of the casual market through flashy graphics and expensive ad campaigns while making up the production costs.

So they've borrowed a lot of the philosophies of the mobile market to get the ducats. In game monetization is a concept they keep hoping will succeed, and they're trying to do it in as many different ways as they can. Season passes, extra costumes, extra characters, in game currency, real money auction houses and loot boxes.

Taking all of this into account, my opinion of loot boxes is that they're another sign of an industry that has run out of good ideas and doesn't care about good will towards their longest standing customers.

The AAA industry is run by suits that only care about red and black. Loot boxes are just another symptom of that because they're creatively vacant.

Dark Souls and Cuphead prove that modestly produced games can be profitable and leave a good impression on the industry. And both of these games are FUCKING HARD. And there is no 'pay to win' element in either of those games.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Maybe I'm the minority here but what AAA titles have wowed with graphics? The only title I've seen that made we wow AAA wise is Star Wars Battlefront 2. COD WW2 looked decent, but couldn't tell what were cut scenes and what was CG movies when I saw the trailer.

Honeslty Ori and the Blind Forest and Cuphead have made me ooh and ahh more then any AAA out there in this generation.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
^ Maybe I'm the minority here but what AAA titles have wowed with graphics? The only title I've seen that made we wow AAA wise is Star Wars Battlefront 2. COD WW2 looked decent, but couldn't tell what were cut scenes and what was CG movies when I saw the trailer.

Honeslty Ori and the Blind Forest and Cuphead have made me ooh and ahh more then any AAA out there in this generation.

Are you a casual gamer wowed by hyperrealistic graphics when you see commercials during reality TV or televised sporting events?

Are you the kind of person that would look at Cuphead and say 'that's stupid, where are the machine guns and soldiers'?

Didn't think so.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Are you a casual gamer wowed by hyperrealistic graphics when you see commercials during reality TV or televised sporting events?

Are you the kind of person that would look at Cuphead and say 'that's stupid, where are the machine guns and soldiers'?

Didn't think so.

Neither. Don't buy anything hyper realistic, but I can at least say the graphics look better then the 360/PS3 generation. Which I haven't thought the majority of the games out there really look much better then a 360/PS3 game. Honestly could give a fuck to see it any more then a trailer. It's not my cup of tea.

I'd rather prefer Cuphead the way it is since I collect classic cartoons it's a dream to finally see a game that looks like something from it.

As for looking like '07 I dunno what I saw in the trailer looked decent maybe they're all cut scenes. Again not worried enough to bother with it.