What's your opinion on loot boxes?

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
In Rise of the Tomb Raider, the individual strands of Lara's hair are modeled, which is expensive, and has zero benefit to the gameplay experience.

Yeah, but it makes great material for buzz articles on Polygon and Kotaku.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
20 years ago, Chrono Trigger was 70 bucks

now, i dunno wtf games cost, 60?

I'm an idiot. I guess it was the RAM boards that cost so much? Who knows?

I clearly remember some games - N64, namely - costing 80 bucks in the sears catalogue 20 years ago.

cartridges are more expensive to manufacture due to all the shit inside
cd's are mostly plastic with a layer of whatever the fuck

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Pay to win isn't new
- see New York Yankees

Trolling aside. I haven't watched eSports in years, but it used to be all players started with default equipment to make it....competitive. That's bizarre if they players have access to different items via a cash shop.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
At first I thought this thread was about those monthly subscription boxes. I find those equally as retarded.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I refuse to play any game with loot boxes. I shouldn't have to spend more then the $59.99 MSRP for an item to help me finish a game.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
20 years ago, Chrono Trigger was 70 bucks

now, i dunno wtf games cost, 60?

I'm an idiot. I guess it was the RAM boards that cost so much? Who knows?

I clearly remember some games - N64, namely - costing 80 bucks in the sears catalogue 20 years ago.

Carts use ROM, not RAM.

I think part of this trend is that games take more people to make these days. Go back to the early days and you'd have one guy doing the programming, graphics and sound. Now you look in a manual (assuming you get a manual) and it's like an entire movie crew worked on a game.

The only DLC I ever considered was the extra tracks on Mario Kart 8, but I'll just wait until I scoop a Switch.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Pay to win isn't new
- see New York Yankees

Trolling aside. I haven't watched eSports in years, but it used to be all players started with default equipment to make it....competitive. That's bizarre if they players have access to different items via a cash shop.

If you can call yourself a pro player and show the IRS that you recieve income from sponsors for your gaming, you can write off all your gaming expenses.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
In a similar vein, how does everyone feel about DLC that's already completed when the game comes out?

I can understand that you keep a staff of employees on payroll to keep making more content for your game. But, if it's already done when the game comes out then it's like you're only getting part of the game at release.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It's not gambling per se...as you always get something. But a lot of that something is nothing. Pure garbage. Destiny 2 does loot boxes ok. All cosmetic, all obtainable in game. No need fo spend money at all.

Elder Scrolls Online has terrible loot boxes.

I wont spend a dime on that shit.

Overwatch loot boxes are the same as in Destiny.

Might be nice to complete challenges in games and be given a reward inatead of some RNG bullshit tokens that yield a chance at the reward you want.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Who says that still isn't happening now? Especially if you are contracting a studio to make your game. Unless something goes horribly wrong (see no arcade mode backlash in SFV) acting like you're still toiling away when in reality the crew working on this is much, much less, and is mostly there to implement stuff already made is probably the norm.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
In a similar vein, how does everyone feel about DLC that's already completed when the game comes out?

I can understand that you keep a staff of employees on payroll to keep making more content for your game. But, if it's already done when the game comes out then it's like you're only getting part of the game at release.

Yes, Day 1 DLC feels like a slap in the face.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
It's only considered gambling if Steam is NOT making money of it. Look at CS:GO skins. They chased after that one hard.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
They're exploitative bullshit and I'll never spend a dime on them but I honestly don't have a problem with it provided that nothing in them negatively affects my ability to play and/or succeed at a game. If stupid motherfuckers wanna blow a ton of real coin on that shit, I don't care. Just like I don't care if stupid motherfuckers blow all their money on slot machines or baseball cards or lottery tickets. I'm not in the business of saving stupid people from making bad decisions.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If it isn't on disc, chances are slim that I will pay for it.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
In a similar vein, how does everyone feel about DLC that's already completed when the game comes out? (...) if it's already done when the game comes out then it's like you're only getting part of the game at release.

This was a big deal some years back, but companies stuck with it, and eventually it became the norm. The developers tried explaining it away by blaming various console online services. According to them, they're were being charged for hosting DLC on digital stores, so it was more financially sound to have it on the disc, and only host the license files online. Or something to that extent.

This doesn't change the fact that it's extra content, available day one, locked and with a price tag. Personally, I'm disgusted by this. For example, I have no idea how Street Fighter x Tekken ever got published, with half of the roster being locked behind a paywall. I have never bought the remaining characters, because the combined price for both halves of the game was ridiculous.

I vote with my wallet, but let's face it, most people don't. And I don't mean responsible adult gamers past 30 years of age. Kids eat that shit up. All they could talk about two years back were the Counter Strike skins. I mean, for crying out loud ... You're paying for textures now?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I vote with my wallet, but let's face it, most people don't. And I don't mean responsible adult gamers past 30 years of age. Kids eat that shit up. All they could talk about two years back were the Counter Strike skins. I mean, for crying out loud ... You're paying for textures now?

Counter Strike skins used to be fucking free and actually unique, different sounds etc. Now you get some stupid colour or dumbass design and they're sold/bought on a marketplace. But don't try and diss it to the new kids...

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Counter Strike skins used to be fucking free and actually unique, different sounds etc. Now you get some stupid colour or dumbass design and they're sold/bought on a marketplace. But don't try and diss it to the new kids...

I'm not a fan of stupid customization which doesn't add anything to gameplay, anyway. I remember how turned off I was by weird customizations introduced in Virtua Fighter 4 and later on in Tekken 5. Some characters would have so much shit on them, you could barely recognize them. Rubber ducks orbiting their heads, angel wings, swords, axes, loafers, hats, capes, glowing bracelets, you name it ... But ... Back then you could unlock that shit in the game, if you absolutely had to look like a damn christmas tree. Now? You pay for palette swaps. Soon you'll have to pay for P2 versions of fighting game characters.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I like to just wait for the game of the year editions now, seems like every popular game has one

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I like to just wait for the game of the year editions now, seems like every popular game has one

I usually do the same, but it has happened that once GOTY version came about, I was no longer hyped enough to give a damn. I'll probably pick up Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition once the price goes down, because I definitely am not buying the characters separately. Also, Capcom can go hang themselves. Weren't they promising that SFV won't get extended releases?