Viewpoint AES JP Neo Geo, I would like to know if it is Genuine

NeoBuddy

n00b
Hi all who read,

I am New to the forums and find this place so helpful and exciting.
What I would like to ask you guys is, about 5 years ago (2012) I used to collect Neo Geo games, when I say collect I only managed to get 4 Boxed AES games, but one game in particular....(Viewpoint) I would like to see if it is authentic..My main concern is that in order to know 100%, it looks like I need to crack open the plastic case to take a peek at the boards. I'm sure it's not that hard to do, but I'm not that confident in trying.
I'm also certain you have been asked before if there were any obvious signs of Bootlegging without opening the Cart up (Labels, cart damage, Logos, manual, Box etc...). If so, I am providing some "sort of" Hi res photos of my Jp Version of Viewpoint for your professional opinion, before I decide to open it up ofcourse.

As you can see from the photos, the Label is very sharp, I have seen this happen before on other carts around the Internet, but when placed next to a cart I own you can see a slight difference in the print, it looks more defined, That is how I first noticed it. The SNK Logo is the same as the other cart and is positioned in the right place, it just looks sharper then the other cart. Other then that, the cart label feels the same as the others, it's got the same Glossiness and tone when held up to the light, If not a little richer in colour actually.

The Manual and cart were inside a clear plastic sleeve when I bought the item. I keep them in there till this day as it keeps the dust away

I would have provided full scans but am unable to at the moment, sorry, The blur around the edges of the photographs is purely the camera. I'm using a macro lens and it focuses only where you point the camera, anything around the edges gets slightly out of focus. If there is anything else I need to photograph better just comment below.

The Heaviness of the Cart feels the same as the other ones I have in my collection.

The Cart appearance is quite clean and has minimal marks, mostly around the insert area, but strangely I have a copy of Samurai spirits with exactly the same marks all in the same places, from the plastic crease on the top left of the label and on the plastic mould around the sides. It is also like that on the Watermarked SNK made in Japan Logo on the back of the cart too.

The Manual is rather pristine includes all page numbers from 1 to 16 plus advert and has the usual JP front cover. I did notice on closer inspection that the neo Geo Logo at the bottom right is off centre, something I have observed on other JP Viewpoint manuals... (The logo never seems to be in the same place on any manual I see, it's quite unique) It is also a rather reflective Logo, when held in the light the right way, the Logo gets shiny, but just the logo, the rest of the manual stays with a matt type finish. it looks like a smooth sticker except it's not. I have a copy of Fatal fury special edition with the same neo Geo mark on the manual. I have provided a photograph of this in the attachment.

The Box is in real good condition too, with very few marks...There are ofcourse small splodges on the back and front but that's about it. For the front insert, It seems that it may have been caught on something before I owned it, but that is usual damage for something of it's age I guess.

The Game boots and plays how it should. Never had any Issues with that. Music sounds fine, I can play till about the third or fourth level but after that it gets too hard for me lol. Its very responsive and quite an addictive game.

Sorry if I have added too many pictures in the file, i have tried to capture as much as I can without using the scanner, but it's only recently that I have started to collect Video Games again and it would be nice to know that the Games I own are authentic. Especially a game i enjoy so much as Viewpoint, So I'm trying to show you every detail.....If you haven't fallen asleep already he he, Good Luck and i look forward to hearing from you all.

Oh As I don't really want to open the cart up I did a bit more research and found that all Original Neo boards were wave soldered. I had a look in the light as best I could to see if I was able to see inside the cart and as I held the cart up to the light, I could roughly see the underside of the boards and saw what looked like very fine wave soldering. Not sure if this helps? I will see if I can get the camera to picture this.

Sorry about the link, it was the only way I could upload the pictures right now, any questions and I will be happy to answer them.

UPDATE: I have provided a new Link to view the photos using Google Photos (Link 1)

Good luck
Link 1: https://photos.app.goo.gl/peFkF1cVxD8cg3L82
Link 2: http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/NeoBuddy/library/

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Can't see the pics because of Photobucket popup fagitry.

Pretty sure no one was bootlegging Viewpoint in 2012 since it cost about $100 then but thanks for the novella.

NeoBuddy

n00b
Sorry about Photobucket, I will see if I can Upload the Photos somewhere better soon.
If anyone is able to view the photos, you have to press on the selected image, right click to view image and there it will enable you to zoom in. If that doesn't work You can view the photos as a slide show (Located on the top right above the photos on Photobucket) I find It works better that way.

It is rather a novella isn't it, I got a little carried away my bad.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Can't see the pics because of Photobucket popup fagitry.

Pretty sure no one was bootlegging Viewpoint in 2012 since it cost about $100 then but thanks for the novella.

I agree w/this. I think even back then the AES and MVS versions were going for the same amount so there would've been no logical reason to either do a conversion or bootleg it w/EPROMs.

Looks similar.
Viewpoint_manual logo 01.jpg
Viewpoint_manual logo 02.jpg
It never drew my attention but you're right about the slight offset of the Neo Geo logo against the background. The sheen that can be seen on the logo is due to a layer of water-based spot varnish.

NeoBuddy

n00b
Looks similar.
View attachment 46889
View attachment 46890
It never drew my attention but you're right about the slight offset of the Neo Geo logo against the background. The sheen that can be seen on the logo is due to a layer of water-based spot varnish.

I actually have a copy of Fatal fury special AES and the manual for that game also has the same sheen on the neo Geo logo, all be it better centred, it may have been something SNK was doing during 1992-1993 with the manuals? Thanks for the info on the Spot Varnish, that makes sense.