Neo Geo Aes PALETTE RAM ERROR

SELUXL

n00b
Hello guys! I hope someone in this legendary forum could help me.
I am from Spain, so, sorry if I make some mistakes With my english xD
I recently purchased a faulty aes, it comes With a messed up try of repair a probably pallette ram error, replacing the two rams but almost all of the solder pads were destroyed, lots of broken traces around the rams, so the System does not show anything on the screen.
The chips were New, so, I wired all the adresses following the pinout for the 3-6 board I found in this forum, and every path seems to be ok but I am getting a lot of graphics glitches when I insert a game and a Green screen without a game.

I have installed the diagnogtics bios and I get different pallette ram error, but the most common is this:

PALLETTE BANK0 DATA (5555)

ADDRESS 400000
ACTUAL 5500
EXPECTED 5555

Also, if I run vram test I get another error:

VRAM DATA (0000)
ADDRESS 000000
ACTUAL 8000
EXPECTED 000000
PASSES 000000

I triple checked all the tracks to the pallette rams and seems to be ok using a multimeter.

Could someone please tell me what those codes mean and what problem could be?
I am desperate.

Last edited:

SELUXL

n00b
Fixed another broken trace in both palette rams, now it seems that I only have the vram problem.
I only get yellow screen on normal bios and the 8000 code error on diag bios.
If I am not mistaken, this could be a dead vram rigth? Or could it be a broken trace? I can not find the vrams pinout, could someone post here the pinout, please?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Fixed another broken trace in both palette rams, now it seems that I only have the vram problem.
I only get yellow screen on normal bios and the 8000 code error on diag bios.
If I am not mistaken, this could be a dead vram rigth? Or could it be a broken trace? I can not find the vrams pinout, could someone post here the pinout, please?

8000 address is fast VRAM - the 5814 chips - 35ns of faster.

SELUXL

n00b
Thank you GadgetUk, Just what I Was thinking, my next step is to replace de fast vrams.
Do you Know the fast rams pinout? Just in case that replacing the chips does not fix the problem, to check for broken traces.

SELUXL

n00b
I have replaced both fast vram chips, mounted in socket and I have Still the same error.
I do not Know what to do next except to try to find broken traces, but I need the vrams pinout and I can not find it.
could someone help me With the pinout please? Any Other ideas?

SELUXL

n00b
Fixed! It Was a broken trace in the slow rams instead fo the fast rams.
Thanks for the help GadgetUK

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I misinterpreted your "8000 code" as the address. Glad you fixed it =D