change boot game...

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Is it possible to change a boot cart to another game by replacing the roms?

Could it be that simple...

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Yes

Edit. Depends if original snk boards. And only some games are compatible with some boards.

Last edited:

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
As egg_sanwich said, it depends. You would have to make sure your boards are official SNK and will work for your game. But the questions I have for you is:
what is your intent with doing this? Are you planning on changing boots to games you want for personal use or for sale?

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Selling boots... no. I own a many neo geo carts and systems. I played these games back when the internet was just becoming usable for the public. I bought SS2 straight from Japan for the AES for $400 when it came out. I've also repaired systems, but not carts. So I guess you could say I'm a big fan. I've lurked on this sight for many years (maybe too many). My intent is for personal use. We can all say that there is that one game you would like, but is hard to find... I know you can get # n 1's, but I don't want to go through the menus every time the machine boots up. I just bought my first 2 slot neo geo cab, which is probably why I'm asking about this...

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Then in that case, have a ball. Do note, if you are dealing with games that are on PROGBK1s and any of the VROMs are 32Mbit, you need to split the file in half and burn them individually to 27c160s. 27c322s are 32Mbit, but only support 16-Bit mode. VROMs are 8-Bit in nature, so can only be burnt on EPROMs that support 8-Bit and 16-Bit modes.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks for the tips/help. I know that I'll need to do some research for this project as well as buy some equipment.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Np. If I may offer some suggestions, buyicnow.com offers the EPROMs you will need for a rather cheap price. They also offer an EPROM burn service for a very low price. So, if you don't wabt to buy a Top 3000, GQ-4X w/ 16-Bit adapter, or a willem with 16-Bit adapter for programming your own EPROMs or you just want to do a couple games here and there, this is a perfectly fine option at an affordable price.

One other thing, unless you have a front loader MVS, I would not reccomend installing more than 10 EPROMs total in those carts. The weight alone could cause serious damage to AES consoles with converter or top loading MVS boards

Last edited:

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Np. If I may offer some suggestions, buyicnow.com offers the EPROMs you will need for a rather cheap price. They also offer an EPROM burn service for a very low price. So, if you don't wabt to buy a Top 3000, GQ-4X w/ 16-Bit adapter, or a willem with 16-Bit adapter for programming your own EPROMs or you just want to do a couple games here and there, this is a perfectly fine option at an affordable price.

One other thing, unless you have a front loader MVS, I would not reccomend installing more than 10 EPROMs total in those carts. The weight alone could cause serious damage to AES consoles with converter or top loading MVS boards

This is very helpful info thank you!