How do say SNES?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
When I read "SNES" I read it as "sness" but I've always referred to it as "Super Nintendo."

Same. I don't know why, but it's just easier for me to read it as "sness" but I never say it out loud.

I started noticing "sness" years ago, and I've also noticed that most of the people who say "sness" are British or European. So I figured it's a longstanding pronunciation over there.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I call it Super Nintendo but over here in the UK its very common for it to be called a SNES but never "sness" lol

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
No one ever said Nessss with original nintendo, they always said N E S, so I don't understand why SNES would be any different. First time I heard Snesss was on YouTube and thought wtf is Sness. It was always either S N E S or Super N E S or Super Nintendo when I was growing up.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Yup. Super NES or S-N-E-S. Snes is some dumb shit for people too lazy to say four syllables.

These or Super Nintendo. Ethnics and purists say it right. Hipster doofuses say "Snes".

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The first time I heard "snes" it was on UK TV. It was quite appalling. I almost spat out my afternoon scone.

Everyone I knew called it Super Nintendo. Snes was only used by lower class people.

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
Super Nintendo or S-N-E-S are all I recall growing up. This kinda reminds me of the Futurama episode where they called Christmas - "EX-Mas" - in the future...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I say Super Nintendo.

The first time I heard sness I wasn't sure what they were talking about until they pointed to the loose cart bin.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
At the end of the day the snes thing is not too terrible. Well at least not as bad as when the Aussies try to pronounce "Sega". :keke:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Can't stand it when people say snezzzzz.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
We used to say NESS and SNESS growing up and fuck you, Mandela won't take it away from me!

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Can't stand it when people say snezzzzz.

Same here. It's an acronym for crying out loud. I hear it mostly listening to euro based gaming podcasts. But lately it's been popping up in the current YouTube vernacular. Drives me nuts.

Same with you guys who pronounce Mario as Mary-Oh. Ugh.

I had a friend during the PS1 era who would call the PlayStation just "Sony". It works for playing Sega, but playing Sony - fuck no.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Same here. It's an acronym for crying out loud. I hear it mostly listening to euro based gaming podcasts. But lately it's been popping up in the current YouTube vernacular. Drives me nuts.

I had a friend during the PS1 era who would call the PlayStation just "Sony". It works for playing Sega, but playing Sony - fuck no.

That's why Sega was better - even the terminology sounded good.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
That's why Sega was better - even the terminology sounded good.

Sega had all the cool creative sounding system names too. Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast.

The only creative name Nintendo had was the GameCube. Pretty fucking dope. Can't knock on Nintendo or Super Nintendo, I'll even let Nintendo 64 slide but Wii and Wii U sound stupid. Switch isn't as bad.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Sega had all the cool creative sounding system names too. Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast.

The only creative name Nintendo had was the GameCube. Pretty fucking dope. Can't knock on Nintendo or Super Nintendo, I'll even let Nintendo 64 slide but Wii and Wii U sound stupid. Switch isn't as bad.

OK, so Sega = better names. Nintendo = better games.

You win this round.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Sega should have continued using books of the bible to name their consoles in North America.

Just think...after Sega Genesis, we could have had Sega Job (32X), Sega Revelations (Saturn) and finally Sega Exodus (Dreamcast).

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Sega should have continued using books of the bible to name their consoles in North America.

Just think...after Sega Genesis, we could have had Sega Job (32X), Sega Revelations (Saturn) and finally Sega Exodus (Dreamcast).

It truly was the formation of the best console in gaming history. I Can't blame Sega for using the bible.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Super Nintendo. Honestly I'm not sure if I've ever called it S-N-E-S unless I was talking with someone who just referred to it as that. I've NEVER called it Sness, definitely never called a Nintendo a Ness either. I kinda feel that I would correct someone if they referred to either system that way.

When I hear people call Mario "Mary-Oh" I'm curious if they've never heard of the name Mario. Does anyone named Mario pronounce their name that way?

Calling Playstation "Sony" is strange as hell.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
When I hear people call Mario "Mary-Oh" I'm curious if they've never heard of the name Mario. Does anyone named Mario pronounce their name that way?

I think a lot of Canadians do (correct me if I'm wrong Canadians). I was going to ask about this in the accent thread.