Neo Geo CDZ disc problem

Demiurgo

New Challenger
Hi all!

I have a Neo Geo CDZ and it powers on, I get video and the animated intro. The disk spins for a couple of seconds and then stops. Laser moves, but with a non spinning disc I can not know if it can read or not.

Any advice about what to try? :scratch:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Hi all!

I have a Neo Geo CDZ and it powers on, I get video and the animated intro. The disk spins for a couple of seconds and then stops. Laser moves, but with a non spinning disc I can not know if it can read or not.

Any advice about what to try? :scratch:

You could try adjusting the laser voltage pot, but chances are it probably needs a new laser.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
A laser failure can be related to the stopping of disc rotation?

If the laser fails to read the disc, it will spin up for a moment and then stop again. You would likely still get the system intro but then a failure to load the game.

Demiurgo

New Challenger
If the laser fails to read the disc, it will spin up for a moment and then stop again. You would likely still get the system intro but then a failure to load the game.

Yes, those are exactly the symptoms. Also, I checked the lens with a magnifying camera and is totally scratched, so I ordered a new one to replace it.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
The CDZ will power on to the menu screen without the laser being operational. Usually, from power on and a disc pre-loaded, the game should boot automatically. If the system defaults to the console menu screen then there is a problem.

Replacing the laser is fairly straight forward on the CDZ, just be very careful how you unplug the little cables that plug into the laser assy - it can be very easy to pull the wires out of their sockets. Make sure you unplug them by wiggling them gently free, do not tug on the wires to unplug the sockets!!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I've also had this happen on one of my units. As everyone said, replacing the laser did the trick. Also not a bad idea to regrease the rails that the laser mech moves on while you're installing the new laser.

Demiurgo

New Challenger
Replacing the laser is fairly straight forward on the CDZ, just be very careful how you unplug the little cables that plug into the laser assy - it can be very easy to pull the wires out of their sockets. Make sure you unplug them by wiggling them gently free, do not tug on the wires to unplug the sockets!!

Thanks a lot for the info and the advice! I will be careful with that. ;)

Demiurgo

New Challenger
I've also had this happen on one of my units. As everyone said, replacing the laser did the trick. Also not a bad idea to regrease the rails that the laser mech moves on while you're installing the new laser.

I hope to get the new laser this month, is already ordered. I already greased the rails, and even a bit the gears, but I will clean everything when the new laser arrives to remove old grease remains, and I will regrease carefully while installing. Thanks also for the advice!

Demiurgo

New Challenger
Look how scratched is the lens... :oh_no:

Attachments

• WIN_20171006_14_04_40_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20171006_14_04_40_Pro.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 100

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Yeah, I think it's fair to say that's fucked.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
How in the world did that even happen?

Would be neat to see if you can wet sand it and buff it back to being a smooth finish though.

Demiurgo

New Challenger
How in the world did that even happen?

I have no idea, but it looks like the lens was scratched on purpose. :oh_no:

Would be neat to see if you can wet sand it and buff it back to being a smooth finish though.

Yes, the new laser will take some time to arrive, and I already removed the damaged one from the console, so I will try to carefully polish the lens as much as possible and check it again. Nothing to lose anyway! :buttrock:

Demiurgo

New Challenger
Polishing the lens was ineffective... :shame:

Anyway, the new laser arrived to Japan today, so I hope to have it soon!

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Polishing the lens was ineffective... :shame:

Anyway, the new laser arrived to Japan today, so I hope to have it soon!

That lens appears to have been damaged on purpose. No amount of polish will restore it sadly :(

Hopefully the new lens arrives to you soon!

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Its just not logical why anyone would ruin the lens. It makes me wanna buy a couple spares so the thing last me the rest of my life.

Demiurgo

New Challenger
Its just not logical why anyone would ruin the lens. It makes me wanna buy a couple spares so the thing last me the rest of my life.

Well, is a quick way to sabotage the console without any obvious damage, but again I wonder why anybody will do something like that... :conf:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Lens received, installed and CDZ now working like a dream! :drool_2:

Cool, glad to hear you've got your CDZ up and running again! :)

Just out of interest, where did you get your replacement lens from? Generic from eBay? I'd love to be able to find stock of the original Sharp lasers...