Annual October Horror Movie Thread

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Event Horizon How did he go from this to the RE movies? I know he married Mila but still...

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Event Horizon How did he go from this to the RE movies? I know he married Mila but still...

Even Horizont lost money and was very expensive. Resident Evil always made money and was pretty cheap to make -relatively speaking.

That's both the long and short.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Friday the 13th 3 and 9 last night. I always make sure to watch a couple on the date.

I was surprised the blu ray collection has the cut version of Jason goes to Hell. As soon as I saw the tent scene and there was no splitting in half I was disapointed. I guess it is back to my old DVD next time I want to watch that one.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Friday the 13th 3 and 9 last night. I always make sure to watch a couple on the date.

I was surprised the blu ray collection has the cut version of Jason goes to Hell. As soon as I saw the tent scene and there was no splitting in half I was disapointed. I guess it is back to my old DVD next time I want to watch that one.

A while back I got the DVD box set of the Paramount films. I had to buy Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X, and FvJ in a seperate set (bullshit). That had the theatrical cut and the unrated version. When I found out the BR had only the one version, I passed.

It was disappointing because how much space on a BR would a 20+ year old movie really take??

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
When Goo Goo Dolls were signed to Metal Blade.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection

I watched one on Friday too, since it was the 13th. I've seen all of them at one time or another, but they admittedly blend together in my memory with the exception of a couple. I couldn't recall much about Part VI when I looked at the DVD case, so I decided to go with that one so it'd be fresh for me.

Right off the bat, we're struck with some tongue-in-cheek dark humor including a James Bond-esque opening graphic with Jason's signature slash in place of Bond's gun shot. And this one is filled with little jokes like that to offset the horror.

While I prefer my horror movies dark, the humor and in-jokes work pretty well, and there are definitely some gruesome scenes and a couple of really tense moments to go along with them, so it's not a total Sceam-type affair. I'd compare the vibe more closely to one of the Freddy Krueger sequels humor-wise.

What's important about this one is that Jason is back after his Part V haitus, and he returns to Camp Crystal Lake to induce more terror into the counselors, and even the children this time, which adds some extra anxiety to the affair. There are horror homages galore, including a Frankenstein moment in the opening sequence that kicks the movie off by bringing Jason back to life.

It's one of the better Friday movies in the franchise and keeps a nice balance of horror and humor, and the fact that, for the most part, the victims are all generally likable characters adds to the tension. In many of these movies, there's at least a character or two that makes the audience cheer when Jason has his way with them. Well, that's not really the case this time. And there's enough genuine horror here that the occasional joke to lighten the mood, however briefly, is generally a welcome respite.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
ssia

So far:

Hatchet
Wrong Turn
Lifeforce

Life Force is such a good movie. So far I've watched Return Of The Living Dead, Dead Alive, Friday The 13th Part 2, Frankenstein's Army, Hell Raiser 1,2,3 ,and Night Of The Creeps.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I watched one on Friday too, since it was the 13th. I've seen all of them at one time or another, but they admittedly blend together in my memory with the exception of a couple. I couldn't recall much about Part VI when I looked at the DVD case, so I decided to go with that one so it'd be fresh for me.

Yeah, Jason Lives is a good one. A great lead by Thom Matthews as Tommy Jarvis and the humour is just right in this one, not cheesy like in X. My only issue with it is the lack of gore.

I watched The Babysitter last night, a new horror comedy on Netflix. It was alright once it got going, but a lot of it just made me cringe. It felt like it was made by a first time director who was trying really hard to be hip, but it was made by McG who has made plenty of films previously. I think maybe I am just 20 years older than their target audience. The gore was fun though.

Last edited:

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
What's important about this one is that Jason is back after his Part V haitus, and he returns to Camp Crystal Lake to induce more terror into the counselors, and even the children this time, which adds some extra anxiety to the affair. There are horror homages galore, including a Frankenstein moment in the opening sequence that kicks the movie off by bringing Jason back to life.

Not to mention that Part 6 was the one that made him the "unstoppable and quite undead force of nature" (or zombie or whatever) that became such a popular "trait" of his, rather than just a very angry kid who nearly drawned and decided to hang out in the woods for 20-something years.

It's a bit like Part 3. It might not have the best deaths ever, but its the one where he got his hockey mask. You need to see it, if ONLY for that.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
Not to mention that Part 6 was the one that made him the "unstoppable and quite undead force of nature" (or zombie or whatever) that became such a popular "trait" of his, rather than just a very angry kid who nearly drawned and decided to hang out in the woods for 20-something years.

It's a bit like Part 3. It might not have the best deaths ever, but its the one where he got his hockey mask. You need to see it, if ONLY for that.

Part 3 is my favorite one, next to VII.

prof

That's a good point. Supernatural Jason opened up the series a bit. They had already run their course with crazy hermit in the woods Jason with the first 4, the best being 2 in my opinion. 6 added a little jump of electrical shockers to the series.

Reminds me of the Frankenstein series a bit. At first, the monster could speak and had an actual personality. And then during the 4th movie (Ghost of Frankenstein I believe) they turned him into a stiff who walks like he's got a dildo up his ass. And when the movie ends, he goes blind and starts walking with his arms outstretched. Well, it seems like in every movie or any appearance of him since then, he does that same walk with his arms outstretched. Nevermind the fact that the first 3 movies had none of that.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I posted this on the other movie thread so apologies. What I've been watching thusfar for the last month or so has been:

The Mutilator
The Wraith
Slumber Party Massacre
Night of the Living Dead (Original)
Dude Bro Party Massacre 3
Society
Beyond the Gates
The Babysitter
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (for the umpteenth time)
Karate Kill (not horror but bloody good fun)
A Dark Song

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I watched "Burning Moon" again... a direct-to-video release from F4U57's favorite film-maker. :keke:

Direct-to-video is where it's at if you want absolutely atrocious horror movies.

I love October.

prof

I watched "Burning Moon" again... a direct-to-video release from F4U57's favorite film-maker. :keke:

Direct-to-video is where it's at if you want absolutely atrocious horror movies.

I love October.
Definitely preferable to Burning Poon. You need a shot of penicillin after that.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I love October.

I’ve actually never seen Burning Moon, but Premutos is a lot of fun and Beyond the Limits is an absolute ball-tearer. Ittenbach is good. When it comes to direct to video, the Germans have that shit locked down; Andreas Schnaas, Andreas Bethmann, Heiko Fipper.

Das Komabrutale Duell - NSFW

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Somehow I've gone my entire life without ever seeing the 1978 Dawn of the Dead. I think when ever I saw the cover in stores I thought it was something I'd already seen. It was pretty great, you could tell they were working on a tight budget with the zombie makeup though. I wish Romero had kept making films like this and not gotten into the whole "smart" zombies thing in his later films.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You should search out the Italian Dario Argento cut (Zombi). Thumbs up!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
RIP Uncle Lenzi :(

2017 has been awful for the genre.

I'll have to give Nightmare City or Eaten Alive a watch this weekend. I've never been much of a Ferox fan.

most recently,

Victor Crowley (Hatchet 4) Adam Green Roadshow
Wishmaster

How was Victor Crowley? I've enjoyed the series so far, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Last edited:

Biohazard53

B. Jenet's Firstmate
2017 has been awful for the genre.

I'll have to give Nightmare City or Eaten Alive a watch this weekend. I've never been much of a Ferox fan.

How was Victor Crowley? I've enjoyed the series so far, so I'm looking forward to this one.

it was a blast so much fun, more comedy than the others and the same good old over the top kills.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
I am also a big fan of Prince Of Darkness. Just re-watched it the other night and the dialogue always keep me thinking.

Also saw Slither - entertaining but would not watch it again.

I'm a huge fan of Prince of Darkness. Like a horror version of Assault on Precinct 13, which I also really like.

Biohazard53

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Watched Rawhead Rex tonight, guilty pleasure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk