Hypernoid

VGC1612

New Challenger
Since i dont see any thread about it,here we go.Anyone else looking for this game?Here some gameplay:

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Hi,
thank you for posting my stuff into the Neo-Geo.com forums.

The development of the Hypernoid game has started as a little side-project to learn more about the capabilities and limitations of the Neo-Geo hardware but has become more and more complex than originally planned. I am working on this game since 3 years now and I am still learning new unexpected details about the Neo Geo MVS, AES, CD systems.

I know, the game mechanics of a classic Ball & Paddle game are an old hat and therefore I have tried to make it more appealing by creating a "Neo-Geo style" look with lots of animated graphics and huge bosses. Also, it was important to me that the game uses the Neo-Geo bios like the original games (soft dips, coin-up, high score save, memory card save).

I got a lot of help from Jeff Kurtz, HPMAN, Freem, Blastar, Zerosquare, Razoola, NeoTurfmasta. Thank you all for your support :cool:

VGC1612

New Challenger
Im so a huge fan of your game,it fit very well on the system,cant wait for this one!

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Is your game spinner or joystick-based?

The paddle can be controlled with a joystick or a spinner (adjustible via soft dip). The spinner board has been developed by HPMAN and works with Pop'n Bounce aswell as with Hypernoid. As mentioned in the video above, the board generates a 7-bit counter signal which allows a very smooth tracking of the rotation of the spinner knob. This provides accurate controls and a more "natural feeling" for the paddle compared to a joystick (particularly on instant stops and direction changes).

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Looks excellent and if anyone supports cd I'm down for it.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
This looks dope!! Granted, I'm a sucker for Arkanoid-like games, but still.

Since I don't dabble in emulation on computers or own a Neo CD, is there any chance at all this might see an AES release?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Awesome, I love the look of the game, always loved spinners. Best of luck with the project!

How would one go about connecting a spinner to a MVS board with Pop n' Bounce?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm a sucker for Arkanoid-like games...

Who isn't? It's timeless ;). Anyway, this is a very nice project, and it presents the way indie developers should start: from the bare-bone basics. He, who would learn to fly one day, must first... well, and so on. Viel Erfolg!

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Thanks for the feedback :)

This looks dope!! Granted, I'm a sucker for Arkanoid-like games, but still.

Since I don't dabble in emulation on computers or own a Neo CD, is there any chance at all this might see an AES release?

Since the game is still in development there are no definitive plans for the release at the moment. But it would fulfill a personal dream
to see a physical release of Hypernoid on cartridge for MVS/AES one day in the future (at least on a very small scale).

Awesome, I love the look of the game, always loved spinners. Best of luck with the project!

How would one go about connecting a spinner to a MVS board with Pop n' Bounce?

The 7-bit spinner mode in Pop n' Bounce can be activated via soft-dip (change the "Controller" option from "Joystick" to "Paddle") and the
spinner board itself can be simply connected to the regular joystick port.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Also, it was important to me that the game uses the Neo-Geo bios like the original games (soft dips, coin-up, high score save, memory card save).
This is great to hear. A lot of the games that have come out don't feel like true Neo Geo games because they don't use the typical Neo Geo format. NGDevTeam tries to work around the bios, and Le Cortex just didn't know what they were doing.

I wish you luck with the project and I'm looking forward to its completion.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Great work NeoHomeBrew! It reminds me Bitmap Brothers games style (which is a compliment!)..are you considering to distribute it leveraging the neoSD? Sounds like the perfect media for such project? ...thanks and keep the good work up!

Edit:

by "leveraging the NeoSD" I meant "leveraging the neoSD software signature option" which, based on what the team said, would allow to distribute digital downloads in a 1:1 cart:game fashion...probably enough to prevent piracy for the first months after release (enough to maximize the sell?)

...damn, I really hope NG-DEV would consider this approach...if the game would be too big, they could simply split it in two files...and use a CD with packaging as a media.

Last edited:

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
by "leveraging the NeoSD" I meant "leveraging the neoSD software signature option" which, based on what the team said, would allow to distribute digital downloads in a 1:1 cart:game fashion...probably enough to prevent piracy for the first months after release (enough to maximize the sell?)

Hi Massimiliano,
this could be an interesting option to consider aside from a physical cartridge version.
But I want to finish the game first before seriously thinking about in which way it could be released.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
oh hey, just saw there is now a thread on this as well! I've been trying to keep up to date with the development of this game, it looks really good. Looking forward to playing it one day (when you feel it is ready for release).

All the best for your project!

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Thanks a lot for your feedback guys, it is very motivating to read that you like what I have developed so far and that there is some interest in playing the game :)
I will do my best to complete the game in about 6 - 8 months. Currently, I am working on exploding "Bomb Blocks" and on the 5th (final) boss.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hi Massimiliano,
this could be an interesting option to consider aside from a physical cartridge version.
But I want to finish the game first before seriously thinking about in which way it could be released.

That sounds great, good luck with development!

btw, I don't remember if there was a thread about building a spinner? in case not, would you like to share schematics/parts? that way we could build our own controllers while waiting! ;)

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Keep up the good work! Looks very promising :)

Is the music on the level 4 boss video in-game or was it added afterwards? Sounds pretty impressive if in-game.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Looks good. Will there be a collectardnoid edition?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The locked ROM path would be an interesting exercise with the NeoSD.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Thanks a lot for your feedback guys, it is very motivating to read that you like what I have developed so far and that there is some interest in playing the game :)
I will do my best to complete the game in about 6 - 8 months. Currently, I am working on exploding "Bomb Blocks" and on the 5th (final) boss.

I like your work, keep it coming.

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
That sounds great, good luck with development!

btw, I don't remember if there was a thread about building a spinner? in case not, would you like to share schematics/parts? that way we could build our own controllers while waiting! ;)

The spinner board is developed by HPMAN, he maybe have one of these left (you can contact him at https://www.yaronet.com or http://www.neogeofans.com).
As mentioned above, the spinner board will work with Pop N' Bounce in "Paddle"-mode. Here is the pinout of the board:

spinnerboard-pinout.jpg

I have tested two spinner devices with this board: the SpinTrak spinner (http://www.ultimarc.com/SpinTrak.htm) and also with the TurboTwist2 spinner (http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=86).

spintak-vs-turbotwist2-1.png

spintak-vs-turbotwist2-2.png

Both spinners have a great build quality, have enclosed optic sensores, can be mounted inside a 28 mm hole and provide 1200 impulses/revolution (which turns out to be perfect to move the paddle over 80% the playfield without being forced to release the spinner knob). The Spintrak offers a more heavier weight (378 grams including large fly-weight and knob) and is shorter but more difficult to mount (you can not remove the cable and the fly weight needs to be attached after mounting into the hole). The TurboTwist2 is a bit lighter (282 grams including fly-weight and "Silver Dome" knob, 314 grams including fly-weight and "TokenTop" knob) and is longer but easier to mount (cable removeable, fly weight fits through the 28 mm hole).

Overall, I think the SpinTrak is better for mounting inside a box (because you can use a box with a lower height) and the TurboTwist is better for arcade machine control panels (because it needs less space at the sides and is easier to mount).

Last edited: