Everdrives! Talk to me...

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Looking at going the Everdrive route for lots of classic games. Is that a good option?

Cost benefits are obvious, and I've still got all my common classic systems.

Am I correct in thinking it's not emulation; they actually run original ROMs on the original hardware?

Which version do I want for each system? I'm planning on starting with SNES, but eventually grabbing one for each console they're available for. It looks like there are 2-3 variants for most consoles. I'm not looking to cheap ojt, but don't want to piss away cash on features I'll literally never use.

Also, do I just download ROMs from emuparadise? Or what's the deal with those?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the verbal diarrhea!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
They simulate real hardware. The difference is you load up a memory card with ROMs and select it from a menu before it starts instead of it booting straight into a normal cartridge. Emuparadise forum (not the web links) is best, find the smokemonster sets as they have everything from all regions, bonus sorted categories, and also some hacks and homebrew. Download, extract, dump the entire directory tree onto a memory card and you're good to go.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Everdrives kill your consoles. Like CD-Rs in a Dreamcast.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I went the everdrive route and never looked back. Also about to go full blast CD-R for everything Pre PS3/360.

Seeya Later Alligator.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
How would it be emulation if you're using the flash cart on the original hardware?

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I did this but just couldn't enjoy it. The ability to jump game-to-game caused me to jump game-to-game. It never felt real, I didn't dig into games the way I used to. I sold collections, bought everdrives, sold everdrives, and then just got the games I wanted. If your personality is one that wants to be as original as possible - this isn't going to stick. If you truly just want access to the games then it might. It's a great option for some for sure.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy

I dont think thats an accurate statement, theres still not enough evidence if they are killing the systems or this is a result of aging hardware (as madman would tell you "..Thermal Cycles.." lol). There are countless discussions on this and while some mods might and can cause more damage and stress than others I highly doubt (personally) everdrives would cause such an issue as its just a board serving rom files to the system for use.

Either way, I will be getting everdrive's for most all my consoles eventually too and only collect for 1 or 2 of them, out of my entire setup and the rest will be arcade hardware (since I love hardware). I am also going to look into using MCboot with an HDD on my PS2. I have too many projects as it is right now though. Got 2 MVS's to repair and find a good home for and another Dreamcast to repair/restore and find a good home. Emuparadise is good as long as you dont follow spam links, ISO zone is another great place to find the "info" you need. I would be more specific but google is your friend ;P

Best of luck for you, as far as SNES everdrives I dont think theres one out yet that can emulate/reproduce the superFX chips sadly, I could be wrong I havent followed the SNES stuff as well.

PS: GameSack and MyLifeInGaming have good youtube episodes on Everdrives they are really worth checking out!!!

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Swing by after work one day and you can check them out. I've got all of em and full ROM sets except for N64.

They're dope.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Literally cause systems to fail? Or are you just saying it kills the joy?
How would it be emulation if you're using the flash cart on the original hardware?
I've heard the Neo 161-in-1 carts basically run an emulator, don't actually utilize the processor on the original mobo, etc. and that's why they're glitchy. No idea if that's true, as this is out of my wheelhouse.

I did this but just couldn't enjoy it. The ability to jump game-to-game caused me to jump game-to-game. It never felt real, I didn't dig into games the way I used to. I sold collections, bought everdrives, sold everdrives, and then just got the games I wanted. If your personality is one that wants to be as original as possible - this isn't going to stick. If you truly just want access to the games then it might. It's a great option for some for sure.
I dunno.... I'd love to play Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Secret of Mana. Plus several others. But I can buy an Everdrive for the price of those two loose carts.
Thanks for the input!
Honestly looked at grabbing your SNES lot (killer deal btw) just now
I dont think thats an accurate statement, theres still not enough evidence if they are killing the systems or this is a result of aging hardware.............. !
Thanks for the input. So they're not killing unmodified systems regularly, eh? Cool.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Swing by after work one day and you can check them out. I've got all of em and full ROM sets except for N64.

They're dope.

Awesome! This weekend, maybe? Housesitting for the parents til the weekend

madman

I've heard the Neo 161-in-1 carts basically run an emulator, don't actually utilize the processor on the original mobo, etc. and that's why they're glitchy. No idea if that's true, as this is out of my wheelhouse.
Why would a cart inserted into the original hardware use an emulator? That makes no sense whatsoever for a number of reasons.

Spoiler:
Doll fucker.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Why would a cart inserted into the original hardware use an emulator? That makes no sense whatsoever for a number of reasons.

Spoiler:
Doll fucker.

I've heard the Neo multicart "cirsumvrents" aspects of the original hardware..... It means to go around. You know, the old reach-around

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I'd love to play Kirby's Dreamland 3

You won't be able to play Kirby's Dreamland 3 on any everdrive bro, not even the sd2snes. It's one of the few games that comes with some chip that isn't supported yet (SA1, Super FX, ect). The list of unsupported games includes some cool stuff like Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG, Starfox and Doom.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I love my Everdrives. They have helped me build a small curated collection without the once necessary hoarding in case I want to play Shaq Fu again some day.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I've heard the Neo multicart "cirsumvrents" aspects of the original hardware..... It means to go around. You know, the old reach-around

tl;dr there was an article some months back about "the dangers of 3.3v components in flash/pirate carts" where some of those were poorly designed and pose a threat to original hardware. Real world testing by everyday users has so far proven the danger to be somewhat exaggerated.

ttll;;ddrr you can use old everdrives (Turbo ED V1, Mega ED V1 etc), just know that it might be a contributing factor to your console biting the dust one day. recent flash carts (EDN8, Mega ED X5, Turbo ED V2, SD2SNES) pose zero threat.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can vouch for the NeoSD and SD2SNES carts, both are excellent examples. I don't know what people are talking about when they say 'it doesn't feel like the real thing' ? really? stop blowing your load over originals, they operate exactly the same.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I can vouch for the NeoSD and SD2SNES carts, both are excellent examples. I don't know what people are talking about when they say 'it doesn't feel like the real thing' ? really? stop blowing your load over originals, they operate exactly the same.

I can't knock people for wanting to buy originals. Some bring up the whole illegal copyright thing and I think some of them actually mean it lol. Others like collecting and don't play them, some others do, whatever float's their boat.

I'm in the Same Boat as you now. Even before I sold my originals, I just found it much more convenient to play the everdrives. My shelves that were stacked with games was replaced with pictures of my family, how cute.

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
I own everdrives for the nes, snes, turbo, mega drive, gba, n64 and my lovely NeoSD for the AES, Ill be getting the MVS one too for my cab. just made more sense to me.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member

This right here is what is holding me back from jumping into this scene.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I find everdrives a great way to replace the bulk of my collection. Get rid of the stuff I "might want to play someday" but keep all the stuff I know I'll want to play again - the good stuff. As far as game switching, that's entirely up to how disciplined you are. It's no more tempting to switch games than if there is a pile of 100 carts next to you. I don't have any issues playing the same game on my EDs until I'm done with them.

madman

My shelves that were stacked with games was replaced with pictures of my family, how cute.
Bad-Family-Photos-Possum.jpg

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I went the Everdrive route a couple years ago for everything up through the Dreamcast.

I totally agree with MJM's sentiment about skipping around. Paralysis of choice is a very real enemy. That said, I don't see how it would be any different if you had a full set of carts. When you have the entire library available at your fingertips, it's difficult not to just play 5 minutes and want to move on to something else.

Beyond that, I can't recommend it enough. Prevents stupid collecting, removes clutter, still allows you to use original hardware plus you can play all of the fun ROM hacks and weird shit like the Zelda randomizers.

Keep in mind, there are a handful of games that don't run on SNES (because of specialty chips), NES (there are a couple of mappers that haven't been situated) and PS1 (because PS-IO is still relatively early on). You can find links to SmokeMonster's complete ROM sets in a variety of places.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The first ED I bought was the GB one - that was a year and a half ago and I havent touched the my stack of GB games since.

In my experience, they render a physical collection useless. You're still playing the game on original hardware, which was the point all along.