lol i bet you call them "wax" or some other salad tosser shit
smh

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
keep' spinning your hotel neutral milk wax, broheme.:buttrock:

mhell06

n00b
I have brought most of their vinyls (been collecting game vinyls for a while) and love them. Think I'm gonna pass this one though, at least for now, because I'm buying other stuff this month and am trying to focus my vinyl collecting on the music I like the most.

Hopefully this means we'll see more snk soundtracks from them.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Pretty cool. Art of Fighting and now Metal Slug. I'll wait patiently for the Fatal Fury set. :snack:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
who in the fuck would actually sit down and listen to this

I mean the ending credits song, sure, but otherwise you gotta be autistic to listen to vid game music, much less on vinyl

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

I mean the ending credits song, sure, but otherwise you gotta be autistic to listen to vid game music, much less on vinyl

Finally, a solid LS post.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

I would, even more so if the game was Metal Slug 2. Metal Slug had one of the nicest soundtracks, I find that jazzy/rock fusion really unique and it's still great to give it a listen today, along with the more movie-like orchestral pieces.

What the heck.

Last edited:

BOERenSKIN

n00b
This is why hate the vinyl revival. It is digital music and a vinyl version only added value is that you can get your personal scratches. Only real plus the packaging, but I prefer the end of the 90s and begin of 00s when Vinyl was only populair in the house and punk scene and when the vinyl release was avaiable the same day as the cd.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Are there any reason besides keeping your collection coherent (ie: all black discs)? Nothing bad in colored vinyl.
in my experience when there are multiple versions offered black is pretty consistently the one that still sounds the best (blind test!). the differences to solid colored records are more often than not hardly noticeable, but they're there. i don't know what it is, maybe the plants know better how to work with them or the materials are of higher reliability, can't really explain.

what's for sure is that once you go transparent or picture disk, quality goes down considerably - especially in the low run.

...plus black is often cheaper...

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
About picture disks: that's absolutely true.

But you're wrong on colored vinyl.
As incredible as it might be, pure vinyl is transparent, to make it black there's a substance which is added and it's done mainly to hide the impurities of the vinyl as lots of them come from recycled material.
In order to use other colors on the disk, they just have to change the additive, same stuff, just different color, so the quality is 100% the same as black discs.

Transparent vinyl are seldom seen because it must be virgin and not recycled, otherwise you'd be able to see the impurities in it. On a theoretical basis, transparent vinyl should be the best among all the types, but there are several other factors (manufacturing, pressing plant, master, etc...), so YMMV.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yeah I agree on picture discs which is why I avoid them, even new they sound like ass. All these limited edition colored releases are pure faggotry to rip off collectard fagits. I prefer the straight up black version (TWSS), it's the easiest color to see if there's any dust on the record.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Aside from the fact that they're (I guess) collectible, I just don't get the appeal of these Data Discs. Using analog media to listen digital music makes no sense to me.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
But you're wrong on colored vinyl.
As incredible as it might be, pure vinyl is transparent, to make it black there's a substance which is added and it's done mainly to hide the impurities of the vinyl as lots of them come from recycled material.
In order to use other colors on the disk, they just have to change the additive, same stuff, just different color, so the quality is 100% the same as black discs.

Transparent vinyl are seldom seen because it must be virgin and not recycled, otherwise you'd be able to see the impurities in it. On a theoretical basis, transparent vinyl should be the best among all the types, but there are several other factors (manufacturing, pressing plant, master, etc...), so YMMV.
Maybe we just had bad pressings, but it seems unlikely to me... we tested 5 releases, all new, each done in the same plants and released at the same time through different labels - black vs. colored. Black always sounded better - as I said, not by much and it was a blind test.

I should've specified I meant colored transparent vinyl (clear blue etc.) - there seems to be a lot of surface noise with those.

Again, this is just my experience, not counting technical/theoretical knowledge. The way you described it, there shouldn't be any differences (on the contrary, transparent and colored transparent should be the same if not better). But well, I trust in black.

//EDITH:
All these limited edition colored releases are pure faggotry to rip off collectard fagits.
truth.

Using analog media to listen digital music makes no sense to me.
From a technical standpoint it makes sense if your analog chain is better than your digital one and/or you don't have/trust your DAC. Digital music is also sometimes (re)mastered specifically for vinyl or cassette when it comes to those media, so the mix is sometimes enhanced/different. Besides at least AFAIK almost all music recording today is done digitally...

Then there's the whole ritual thing: picking the record you want to listen, setting things up, getting in the mood, taking the time to listen to the whole thing etc. Which is what has me go for a "physical representation" of the music I enjoy. (It also survives every PC crash or the discontinuation of streaming/hosting services.)

And the techniques of playing a record (adjusting the player, adding to your chain, ...) can be fascinating I guess.

As to videogame music released on its own I don't get the hype as well... I'd rather listen to it in game - most of the time it's not all that great tbh.

Last edited:

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Are there any reason besides keeping your collection coherent (ie: all black discs)? Nothing bad in colored vinyl.

Nope! Nothing wrong with colored vinyls. Ended up going with the gold one since I missed the tri-colored period.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
This will be available from Mondo on Wednesday if you're in the States and want to save on shipping fees.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I actually have a record player and play Data disc records. I don't play that many records but enough to know that the recent trend following vinyl revival has been terrible, resulting in very poor quality pressings full of pop and mediocre sound. Fortunately Data Discs are not among these, and are actually one of the finer companies that press modern wax. In fact they're among the nicest sounding records I've ever bought, that's how good the mastering on their records are. These guys are the real deal, they love the sound quality and it shows. Very glad to hear that they're doing this.

Vinyl unlike other music formats requires more effort to play and also demands the listeners attention. You take glances at it spinning while looking at the large size sleeve and inserts while reminiscing about the game or music you listen to, it's a different experience from listening to music in your mp3 or computer while doing other things. Not for everyone but for some people it's a fantastic way to experience great music.

Last edited: