NEO-GEO BATTLE COLISEUM 2 IN DEVELOPMENT?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I personally loved seeing characters drawn with fresh new sprites, like Hanzo, Lee and Asura, and the backgrounds were good in the first one (excluding the 3D BGs in the XBLA version). But having it based on the KOF engine ruined it for me. It was like having SvC with higher production value.

If we are seeing a sequel, I would like them to distance it as far as possible from KOF (graphics, gameplay and roster wise) and focus on fighting series' that have 0 chance for sequels (AoF, World Heroes, Ninja Masters, Kizuna ... etc).

Personally I liked that it was based on the KOF engine, and had and SvC feel to it. It basically feels like how SvC should have felt. Still very SNK, but more fluid, fast, and...for lack of a better term..."thumpy".

That said, I would like them to get creative with it by having different play styles (a la CvS2) that can either be selected for all characters, or specific to the gameplay the characters originate from. Also, with KOF 14's huge roster, there needs to be one of the same size (if not larger) with fan service character selections galore.

Fuck, bring back Michael Max and blow some heads.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Personally I liked that it was based on the KOF engine, and had and SvC feel to it. It basically feels like how SvC should have felt. Still very SNK, but more fluid, fast, and...for lack of a better term..."thumpy".

That said, I would like them to get creative with it by having different play styles (a la CvS2) that can either be selected for all characters, or specific to the gameplay the characters originate from. Also, with KOF 14's huge roster, there needs to be one of the same size (if not larger) with fan service character selections galore.

Fuck, bring back Michael Max and blow some heads.

Word. A modern take on Michael Max would be dope. SNK so needs to dig deep into their heritage and reuse characters that only had one appearance.

I also thought NGBC had great play mechanics.. I loved the dash morphing into a run, etc. Unfortunately, creating entirely new sprites for such a massive roster would not be cost-effective in 2D sprites at that time. So, I'm totally cool they built off of the KOF sprites.

If SNK ever did a throw back to classic KOF sprites, I'd love to see a remake of Fatal Fury Special using the KOF engine but with FFS play mechanics and characters from Street Smart, FF1, FF2, and FFS. I can dream can't I?

Snakealpha

n00b
Instead of Ryo+Robert, Fuuma+Hanzo, I would prefer secondary characters like Jeann, Dragon, Eiji...

Snakealpha

n00b
Right?? Considering the amount of characters from all franchises, If this game is gonna be created, I would use tier 2 and 3 characters without any doubt.

Eiji, John, Lee from Art of Fighting; Jean, Dragon, Rasputin from World Heroes; Galford, Gen-An and Cham Cham from Samurai Shodown...infinite possibilities

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
battle coliseum was my favourite non neo geo snk game. it would of been nice to see what they would of done with a sequel.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
SNK though are playing with fire imo using once and again the KOF XIV graphics engine over and over. I mean if NGBC2 came out looking like K14 I would personally not care for it much. no, it's not all about the gameplay (especially since I am shit at fighting games, but love'em anywayz)

Ip Man

15 Year Member
SNK though are playing with fire imo using once and again the KOF XIV graphics engine over and over. I mean if NGBC2 came out looking like K14 I would personally not care for it much. no, it's not all about the gameplay (especially since I am shit at fighting games, but love'em anywayz)

it probably would of looked like kof 14. i doubt snk have any interest in going back to 2d sprites for their big releases.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
it probably would of looked like kof 14. i doubt snk have any interest in going back to 2d sprites for their big releases.

This is true, however they could at least try and give their different games a vibe of its own, that was what I was getting at. It's great fighting games are still being made, but let us not have any doubt that with the death of 2D we have lost an artform that set SNK apart from the rest

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

I remember looking at a few interviews where Oda was talking about going to a different style when the crew he was working with was more seasoned. It was in particular a response to a MOTW 2 question if I recall correctly.

The Switch Tag fighter looks like a quick cash grab game using what quick assets they can to make something for a system that didn't get KOF XIV in the 1st place. If Sam Sho looks like KOF XIV then you might need to worry.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I remember looking at a few interviews where Oda was talking about going to a different style when the crew he was working with was more seasoned. It was in particular a response to a MOTW 2 question if I recall correctly.

The Switch Tag fighter looks like a quick cash grab game using what quick assets they can to make something for a system that didn't get KOF XIV in the 1st place. If Sam Sho looks like KOF XIV then you might need to worry.
Ha! Precisely what I'm worried about. SS above any other game was a love letter to Japanese art. So easy to fuck up, especially in the current climate

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think going back to 2D is out of the question moving forward and efforts should be completely focused on 2.5D like Capcom and Arc System Works have done. You still get that 2D look, Dragonball Fighter Z is a pretty good example.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
This is true, however they could at least try and give their different games a vibe of its own, that was what I was getting at. It's great fighting games are still being made, but let us not have any doubt that with the death of 2D we have lost an artform that set SNK apart from the rest

i completely agree. snk had a very distinctive art style that set it apart from every one else. i still connect with the art style and adore it still to this day. it's a shame that it's gone but it also represents the golden age of snk/neo geo.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I'm sure once SNK gets more experience under their belt, which KOF 14 no doubt provided them plenty of, they'll make other games with more varied and unique art styles for their games.

For a theoretical NGBC 2, I'd love for them to try and make 3D models that resemble their old sprite counterparts in terms of art style and proportion.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I'm sure once SNK gets more experience under their belt, which KOF 14 no doubt provided them plenty of, they'll make other games with more varied and unique art styles for their games.

I was under the same impression, but after seeing Oswald, and the lack of graphical improvement in ver. 3, and SNK Heroines barely showing any improvement, I'm beginning to worry about their progress.

For the most part, KOF14's graphics is just "fine" after the last graphics update, but there is a notable inconsistency in its graphics. Some backgrounds still look dull as fuck, characters whose hair look like a hazelnut, and some clothes that look stiff (Oswald being a recent example). On the other hand, there are characters who look great and comparable to SF5's graphics, like Angel and Luong.

I don't doubt that they will eventually improve with 3D though. They already redeemed themselves with KOF13.

For a theoretical NGBC 2, I'd love for them to try and make 3D models that resemble their old sprite counterparts in terms of art style and proportion.

Agreed, and they should have toyed with SNK Heroines for that IMO.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Perhaps they should have, but SNK Heroines screams "safe cash grab" from stem to stern. That said, beyond the character models, it looks to definitely be it's own thing.