SNK VS CAPCOM technical quality

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Kabuki Klash is another game that had some pretty great backgrounds as well.
kinos stage.gif
tsunade's stage.gif

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Well ... Looks like someone has to post some Capcom stuff to counter that Neo Geo goodness. Too bad fully animated backgrounds from Capcom's games seem hard to find. Here's some Street Fighter Zero 3, which in my opinion has superb stages:

Adon-SFA3-Stage.gif
Birdie-SFA3-Stage.gif
Blanka-SFA3-Stage.gif
Dan-SFA3-Stage.gif
E.Honda-SFA3-Stage.gif
Guy-SFA3-Stage.gif
Karin-SFA3-Stage.gif
R.Mika-SFA3-Stage.gif
Sodom-SFA3-Stage.gif
Zangief-SFA3-Stage.gif

People talk about how much more powerful the cps2/3 are than the neogeo. I question though is there any merit to that. Yes I get that the cps3 surely is more powerful and has better colors but I don't feel like Capcom ever proved anything with the better hardware.

There's no denying that Capcom's backgrounds feel static in comparison to SNK's, but I think this is in part due to the sheer number of SNK backgrounds to choose from. On one side, you have Street Fighter II and all of its revisions, and on the other, you have the yearly releases in the King of Fighters series, all of which had backgrounds done from scratch. Capcom can do background animations, but for some reason they don't make that a priority. Maybe because they feel it's distracting? I've seen enough SF tournaments during which fights mostly took place on the graph paper stage to think this may actually be true.

While I absolutely adore those extremely busy stages in KoF '94, I can see someone at Capcom thinking they're a bit much in a fighting game, since every inch of the screen is vibrating with activity. On the other hand, this is SNK showing their insane skill in the pixel-art department. If Capcom felt they were throwing this in their face, they could probably match it, if not on CPS, then on CPS2, but they went for colour count and resolution with CPS2 and for smooth sprite animations with CPS3. Also, backgrounds on CPS3 are pretty massive in New Generation. You can only see a portion of them during the fights, unless it's some sort of dragon punch meets super art kind of deal, when you do some serious air. But even with that in mind, looking at background rips, I don't think I've ever seen the upper most parts of stages during fights.

Ok. I can't help myself. Here's some KoF 94 gold:

kof9401.gif
kof9402.gif

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Capcom backgrounds just do nothing for me personally. I also hate the way they distort the perspective and overuse pastel colours leading to a washed out bland appearance. Compared to the SNK backgrounds they are nowhere near.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Can you really beat these?

aof3-trainyard.gif

n28ztb.gif

XiLpH2g.gif

OtEZC.gif

kof1998-japan.gif

kof95-stage-italy.gif

dca5f032c480df2bd3c7aa17b3f56eff.gif

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
9MFHANE.gif

kof96-stage-psychosoldier-team.gif

39b3d6d6776bbb7ae8ca52b3fdba5bf5.gif

YTRlu5r.gif

a1bbb475262edc9f2704fce9d7b4aec3.gif

vyf4HMz.gif

garou-markofthewolves-background-rockhoward.gif

Need I continue?

Last edited:

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
I know! For me it's not even close ��

Pardon me if I mislabel the games, it's from my hazy memory.

Last Blade stage intro, 3 planes, 1 using some sprite resizing?
LastBlade_stageintro.gif

Last Blade 1 or 2, Keiichiro Washizuka's stage? Can't recall. This stage had some wavering distortion to simulate heat waves. Absent from this gif. It was amazing.
LastBlade_BurningHouse.gif

Garou Hotaru's stage. The bells!
Garou_HotaruA.gif
Garou_HotaruB.gif

Don't let Ikari Team near a helicopter.
KOF94_Ikari.gif
KOF95_Ikari.gif

KOF 95 & 97 Kyokugen Gym
KOF95_KyokugenGymA.gif
KOF97_KyokugenGymRuins.gif

KOF 97 Indonesia
KOF97_Indonesia.gif

KOF ? Desert. Cool use of 'transparency'
KOFx_Desert.gif

Not on the Neo Geo but hey.
Neo Geo Battle Coliseum King of Monsters tribute
NGBC_KOM.gif
NGBC_KOMb.gif

Samurai Shodown 2 epic picture in Charlotte's stage
SS2_Charlotte.gif

Samurai Shodown 2 cool moire effect on Hanzo's stage
SS2_Genjuro.gif

They've come a long way from this:
FatalFury_Tung.gif

To this:
SVC_TempleEvening.gif

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
While that last SvC stage may not be the prettiest one SNK have ever made, what makes it work is the glow effect on the edges of the sprites. It's just a detail, but the moment I saw it, I was sold. I always thought SvC stages were generally pretty bland, some of them being almost monochrome. I mean ...

hqdefault (1).jpghqdefault (3).jpghqdefault (4).jpghqdefault.jpghqdefault (2).jpg

I know these are downsized JPEGs, but I just wanted to make a point about color palettes. I really love the forest, cathedral and that fire glow stage. Even the heaven stage is bland as hell.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
SVC was such a disappointment :(

Which is too bad, really. I always thought Capcom took the easy way out, and simply took raw sprites from different games, M.U.G.E.N. style. SNK on the other hand, drew their own sprites for SvC. I loved that. Hugo's sprite is a great example. It was clearly based on the original, but the shading was completely different and he was mostly re-drawn. Sprites in CvS were so mismatched, it's not even funny.

Snakealpha

n00b
Well, technically, Ryu, Ken and ChunLi were redrawn for Capcom vs Snk 2. I understand that "morrigan" or "Alpha characters" (Sakura, Zangief) can be a little bit of "Mugen" but, from my point of view, it was amazing and my top 5 game, while the graphic style for Snk vs Capcom Chaos is too grey, didnt like any of Capcom except Hugo and Vega...

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
:up: That's the one. Seeing so many bland backgrounds in SvC, I thought they were somehow restricted to a limited palette, but this stage is insane. Why oh why couldn't they go for vibrant colors and variation in all of them?

Well, technically, Ryu, Ken and ChunLi were redrawn for Capcom vs Snk 2. I understand that "morrigan" or "Alpha characters" (Sakura, Zangief) can be a little bit of "Mugen" but, from my point of view, it was amazing and my top 5 game, while the graphic style for Snk vs Capcom Chaos is too grey, didnt like any of Capcom except Hugo and Vega...

We're not talking about gameplay here. We're talking redrawing all of the sprites in the same style to make everything come together nicely versus copying and pasting SNK sprites into a Capcom game. Capcom touching up their own sprites doesn't count, either.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i like everything about svc chaos. especially the backgrounds. it's one of those games where i didn't quite understand the hate it got or the flaws people saw in it. besides ryu and ken being extremely stiff, i didn't feel or see much of a flaw.

View attachment 46874View attachment 46875View attachment 46878

these levels especially look great i think. i always get a akira vibe from them.

Vulpine

n00b
I love SvC Chaos more than I should, but one thing that lets it down is that other than the characters, it could be any fighting game. While the sprite work in the Capcom vs SNK games was so mixed-and-matched it hurt, they got the music and stage references down to a tee. A crossover game should be a celebration of everything about those franchises, not just the characters; but SvC Chaos' backgrounds and music are all completely unique and say nothing to me about either company.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
A crossover game should be a celebration of everything about those franchises, not just the characters; but SvC Chaos' backgrounds and music are all completely unique and say nothing to me about either company.

Word! In that regard, SvC is generic as hell. I look at these amazing SNK backgrounds posted in this thread, and I wish we could have gotten SNK-ed up versions of iconic SF2 backgrounds, with vibrant colors and lots of animation. This was the last chance SNK had of sticking it to Capcom, I guess. "Look at how WE do it on our Neo Geo. Where's your CPS now?" type of thing.

Snakealpha

n00b
:up: That's the one. Seeing so many bland backgrounds in SvC, I thought they were somehow restricted to a limited palette, but this stage is insane. Why oh why couldn't they go for vibrant colors and variation in all of them?

We're not talking about gameplay here. We're talking redrawing all of the sprites in the same style to make everything come together nicely versus copying and pasting SNK sprites into a Capcom game. Capcom touching up their own sprites doesn't count, either.

Well, but SNK did the same right? Copying and pasting SNK sprites for Snk vs Capcom Chaos (some of them were redrawn, but KOF characters were almost 100% the same)

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Well, but SNK did the same right? Copying and pasting SNK sprites for Snk vs Capcom Chaos (some of them were redrawn, but KOF characters were almost 100% the same)

I guess it's my fault for wording it the way I did, but obviously I didn't mean that SNK re-drew all of the sprites, just the sprites that weren't theirs to begin with. This gave SvC a unified look, instead of making it a M.U.G.E.N. style copy-paste sprite fest. SNK used their own sprites for their own characters, but re-drew all of the Capcom's sprites. If they were to import an SNK character whose sprite would not match the visual style of the rest, I'm sure they'd re-draw it too.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I like how in the daytime version of the King of the Monsters tribute from NGBC, you can see Rosa from Kizuna Encounter. Nice little cameo there.