Today I turned 40

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Although I still feel 18 at heart, today I gained the 'over the hill' status. for the first time in my life I am actually contemplating my age.

Although I don't feel old, the prospect of my age has me boggled as far as not knowing if I am supposed to be feeling like an old person at this point. With the prime of my life behind me, I question my impact on the world and my worth.

I still play video games and collect toys, I feel as if being old mentally is just an idea, not a condition. Perhaps we are all young at heart, its just the times that change.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Happy birthday, RG!

Almost there myself, scary thought, but it is mostly about perspective and outlook.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Although I still feel 18 at heart, today I gained the 'over the hill' status. for the first time in my life I am actually contemplating my age.

Although I don't feel old, the prospect of my age has me boggled as far as not knowing if I am supposed to be feeling like an old person at this point. With the prime of my life behind me, I question my impact on the world and my worth.

I still play video games and collect toys, I feel as if being old mentally is just an idea, not a condition. Perhaps we are all young at heart, its just the times that change.

I've found that spending time with actual young people will make you feel older than any calendar ever could.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've found that spending time with actual young people will make you feel older than any calendar ever could.

I teach a class and most of my students are in the 19-25 range. Spending the winter with them, I definitely feel 40 at times.

I'll say this, 40 didn't hit me nearly as hard as 30 did, and I really do not know why.

My only thing is that I don't have a ton of decades left in me...and that's starting to hit home. The time from 30 (2007) until 40 (this year) seemed to simply fly by in a blink. Do that again and I'll be 50...fucking 50. That is going to be a hard one I think...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
All I need to know is...

..You made your own proxy Birthday thread?

WTF is that all about...

xROTx

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
All I need to know is...

WTF is that all about...

xROTx
Ah...leave him alone, Rot! After all, he just turned 40 :tickled:

Hope you have a great day Retrogamer :buttrock:

bday03_zpswqkkjwzo.png

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member
All I need to know is...

WTF is that all about...

xROTx

I call genius move on this shit also HBD retro

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Happy birthday!

I dont know man, if anything i think men at mid 30s to mid 40s are at the prime of their lives. I consider 50+ over the hill, my wife who is 40 still looks like her early 20s. I guess that would go for me as well minus the bald head.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I am more forty than you are!
end of January...I used to want to die alot more, now I want to live even if I feel old and cant run and jump the same no more.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I had a real-life version of this a few months before I turned 40:

I started talking to a few friends who have real life, like families and shit and they said they felt the same way I do. Remember when we were kids and you'd look at adults and think, "wow, they've really got it figured out and I feel like I'm out here faking like I know what I'm doing." Then you graduate school, get into "the real world" and realize everyone else is just faking it too. I fell into the same trap thinking that my other friends my age had something figured out that I didn't. But they don't. Do whatever makes you happy because everyone else is just as confused as we are.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I had a real-life version of this a few months before I turned 40:
I fell into the same trap thinking that my other friends my age had something figured out that I didn't. But they don't. Do whatever makes you happy because everyone else is just as confused as we are.

Somebody please alert the real Madman that his account has been hacked by Liquid Snake.

Last edited:

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Yeah, welcome to the club.

Feeling old is half reality, half state of mind. You can still feel young with the right attitude. Keep enjoying the same things you did as a kid, stay active, and keep a positive outlook.

On the other hand, there's reality. Bills, responsibilities, thinking about retirement, kids, parents & friends passing away, the works. Then there's the fact that our bodies are over 40 years old. I've been more active in the past year than I have in the few years prior, but you can't fight off aging completely. My knees are fucked up, needed foot surgery, sinus surgery, etc. If I get sick or injured, it takes longer to heal than it did in my 20's. That's life. Staying fit sure helps tho (especially with my knees).

Aging is a fact of life, it's how you handle it and yourself that determines if you're old.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Happy Birthday, have some beer and play some games.
You'll feel like you are in college.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I have to, im not a regular here anymore. Nobody cares :*(
Truth to be told...I would've made you one when I got home from work. Checked briefly before I left in the morning to make sure you were active.

You may gone (mostly) but not forgotten as far as the CLOW MASTER is concerned ;)

P.S. BTW whose got almost 12 years on you :tickled:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i expect more chaos and panic. You are letting me down.
especially for an old tymer.