Why does the NFL/the universe hate the Detroit Lions?

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Seriously... My team can't catch a break. It has been happening for years. It's consistent. It's so, so, so old.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
It least they're not the Browns

So true, I thought for sure Cleveland would join Detroit in the 0-16 season last year. The people here actually got a permit to hold a parade circling FirstEnergy Stadium making a "0" for the imperfect season. :lol:

Could still happen this year, too!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I feel like the same shit happened when Calvin Johnson was playing.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Bobby Lane

And the fans turn up good or bad. Not much incentive for owners to spend money to drastically improve the team. It's the right way to run a profitable team fuck us fans.

If they're lining up for shit why change anything.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
And the fans turn up good or bad.

If they're lining up for shit why change anything.

This.

I was a hardcore fan for a long time, but i've moved to casual. Do a little fanduel and watch Bear games, but that's about it. The game has become a joke.

In a game they call a game of inches - the spots are routinely up to a full yard off.

In yesterdays Bear game they had a measurement. The guy pulls the chain too far and the guy holding the center link loses his grip. He re-grabs where he thinks he was and they pull on the chain again - it's clearly not the same spot. When the line judge puts the marker down, he literally HITS the ball and it rolls. He signals first down. It was clearly 1/2 a yard short before they got the chain down and during the first pull. Crazy, but also unacceptable as a practice given what fans pay to watch games.

Holding calls are so inconsistent. Pass interference and defensive holding, by the written rule, could be called on every pass play. It's inconsistently called and only seems to get called on 3rd and 30 when a 5yd penalty gives fresh downs. Hyperbole, but steeped in truth.

Replay and reviews are beyond silly. The referee stands 3' away from a 10" monitor strapped to a woman's neck as he or she holds it out and it's wobbling. A billion dollar product and this is how the most critical plays are being determined.

sbnation_replay_monitor-250x149.jpg

Yesterday Jordan Howard was ruled to have fumbled. On replay both commentators, the guy in NY they bring in for his "expert feedback" and anyone with eyes could see his right knee down for sure, and then it looked like his elbow too, and then the ball was pulled out. The ref looks at this 10" monitor, from 3' away, squinting because of sun, and the monitor is too heavy so it's wobbling, and he comes back with zero explanation other than, "The call on the field stands."

In the Viking game the commentators for 90 minutes told us how "courageous" the warrior Gerald McCoy was. He's "unbelievable", his will is "iron". Non-stop, for 90 minutes. Do you know why...because he was playing with a "severely" sore ankle. Courageous people. Courageous. His team was down, but he wasn't giving up. He's courageous. He was paid $991,625 for yesterday's game. But I mean, still, courageous.

NFL has become a joke.

/rant

PS: As much as it's become a joke - it's part of my past, present and future. I'll be at BWW on Thursday night for Bears - Packers, with my dad, my nephews, and my kids. We'll spend $200 on wings and soda. We'll yell at the TV. We'll comment what a waste it was. Then we'll do it again next week.

Last edited: