Star Trek: Discovery

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Voyager forgot to stop sucking, though.

Accurate. My least favorite of the TV series.

Totally fucking neutered the Borg too.

The technology discontinuity was too distracting for me. Hologram communication, not in a holodeck, that interact with physical objects in the room, wth?
Vulcans can now telepathically communicate across lightyears of space, huh?
Cloaking technology that existed before any mention of Romulans?

The holograms I let slide, along with the other tech since its completely unreasonable to expect them to stick with nothing but glowy buttons and small, chunky screens like TOS. The disconnect is pretty jarring though. One thing that bugs me more in terms of that disconnect is the design of the ships. None of them look TOS at all. Its 10 years before Kirk, which means that the Enterprise was still already built and is in service under Pike's command. You'd figure at least a few of them in their fleet would have the more "modern" TOS design. The Klingon ships were also way, way too different from the D7 and bird of prey design.

Using the "Vulcan katra" thing to communicate across the freaking alpha quadrant was my biggest groaner. Completely unnecessary to the plot and completely absurd, even for Star Trek's crazy Vulcan mind magic. She could have had her flashback, gotten her ass up, and did the same exact thing she did without needing any kind of sagely advice. Also, what was up with Sarek being immediately available when she contacted him via hologram? Does he just stand around waiting for her to call all day?

The cloaking thing might end up being explained somehow, since its considered canon that the Romulans and Klingons had a technology exchange around that time. Kirk stole one from the Romulans on the Original Series, but the ship it was on was Klingon in design.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I tried to hold off but i ended up watching the first two episodes.
I'm judging it hard because science is my actual life, and i dont mind any of the previous shows....

Klingons - A+ , the language, costumes, makeup, and ships were just great.
Female Actors - C , i hope these ladies are actually dead.
Science Officer - B+, borderline JarJar but i think there is something useful there.
Federation - D, dumb as ever.

That ship has torpedoes, but it doesn't have probes to send to the klingon ship? They really need to send a person through an asteroid field with a jump pack?. Did they find their writers from a videogame studio? That scene looks like it was there just to be a stage in a game.

A lifetime of vulcan training gone in a few hours.... Cuz why not.

Space lasers that look like a nintendo game. Where are the phaser beams? Instead it looks like toy ships shooting ray guns.

And WTF is that opening? It looks like a Bond film intro.

A war with Klingons looks fun. I think these shows do best when the Federation seems outmanned, outgunned, and outpaced in technology. That's why Battlestar Galactica was good for a while, it's why Voyager was interesting, and it kind of made Enterprise tolerable. Back them in a corner, and use clever writing to get them out of it.

Last edited:

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Klingons - A+ , the language, costumes, makeup, and ships were just great.

I thought more like D. First like if they make Klingons look totally different than previous shows and films why even call them Klingons? They could have call them some other species. Second thing is spoken language I hate all those fake languages like Klingons or Elf language in LOTR. Why? Well if Vulcans speak English why Klingons don't speak English? and yes I have only watched couple episodes of Star Trek, New Generations and all the movies so they have probably explained why Vulcans speak English but yeah..

I give A+ for how the show looks, effects, costumes, makeup, ships etc. I also like that this is in 2:1 format which is nice cos I have an ultra wide tv.

Also some scenes look like straight from Mass Effect. I started thinking that why Bioware has not made a Star Trek game. I bet many of their developers are in to Star Trek etc.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Because klingons are warrior-brutes who don't play by anybodies rules but their own.
Vulcans are a founding species of the federation and generally pretty beta so they speak english a lot.
Also universal translators are a thing. They also called english "universal" once in TAS

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/English_language

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I thought more like D. First like if they make Klingons look totally different than previous shows and films why even call them Klingons? They could have call them some other species. Second thing is spoken language I hate all those fake languages like Klingons or Elf language in LOTR. Why? Well if Vulcans speak English why Klingons don't speak English? and yes I have only watched couple episodes of Star Trek, New Generations and all the movies so they have probably explained why Vulcans speak English but yeah..

I give A+ for how the show looks, effects, costumes, makeup, ships etc. I also like that this is in 2:1 format which is nice cos I have an ultra wide tv.

Also some scenes look like straight from Mass Effect. I started thinking that why Bioware has not made a Star Trek game. I bet many of their developers are in to Star Trek etc.

Klingons physiology has changed dramatically in different era's. this is explained in Star Trek lore to explain the difference in every show.

Klingon is a fully developed language at this point. Not including it would be rather difficult. All previous shows utilize it. I agree that slapping on a weird accent is usually good enough for me, and that will likely happen as the show progresses.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Effects were good.

Otherwise, not very interesting or engaging.

I can't get into it, so I don't have much more to say about it than that.

Based on the first episode, not worth the Access sub. Maybe it'll get better.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
After 3 episodes, I think it's a promising show so far. A little cliche and a little heavy on plot devices, but definitely engaging. The first episode was only exposition and you need the next 2 to really see where the show is headed. It looks like they are shooting for an ongoing narrative Trek as opposed to the previous ones which were episodic. I didn't like Enterprise or Voyager and lost interest in DS9, so I haven't watched a Trek end-to-end since STNG. That having been said, the CBS business model is definitely shit. If you are waiting for blu-rays to drop, then I don't blame you.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Five episodes in and the show is really growing on me. I like the captain a lot, don't mind the lead character though I agree with NeoSneth, why she's ditched her Vulcan training after ten minutes is a bit odd.

It's obviously a bit 'inclusive' which seems slightly forced at times but I was expecting this, Star Trek has been a liberal fantasy since the original cast started making films and this has increased with each subsequent installment.

I'm probably in the minority when I say I enjoyed them dialling down the tone of it in episode 5, it was pitched at the latest films level of frenetic action in the beginning four episodes but has eased into a comfortably hokey 'save the whales' storyline in episode 5 which is more like a traditional trek set up.

Overall I'm interested to see where this goes, and looking forward to catching up on the rest of the available episodes.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm liking it more as it actually takes shape.

- annoying Ginger is good. It's like having an annoying alien that is not an alien. Better than a JarJar
- Fungal Drive is neat. I'm wondering how it's going to cause their inevitable demise.
- Captain is awesome. I keep confusing him with Timothy Dalton, but whatever.
- Still like Klingon drama.
- Vulcan drama....not so good.

That intro is still a weird Bond-esqe nightmare.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Yeah, I'm liking it more as it actually takes shape.

- annoying Ginger is good. It's like having an annoying alien that is not an alien. Better than a JarJar
- Fungal Drive is neat. I'm wondering how it's going to cause their inevitable demise.
- Captain is awesome. I keep confusing him with Timothy Dalton, but whatever.
- Still like Klingon drama.
- Vulcan drama....not so good.

That intro is still a weird Bond-esqe nightmare.

Yes - and it also almost doesn't have a tune to it, like it never really gets going.

Still, beats that cringeworthy Enterprise intro music, holy shit was that bad.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Nothing can ever be as bad as the Enterprise intro music was.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've been watching the Orville....and strangely enjoying it.

The new ST? Still haven't seen a single episode, not paying for that shit...

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Nothing can ever be as bad as the Enterprise intro music was.

I disagree, best star trek intro ever.

The only continuity Discovery has with the rest of the franchise is the Feds are just as retarded as ever. For fuck sake make a star trek spin off of the mirror universe as it was/ would have been if good Kirk hadn't fucked it up.

Last edited:

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
I've been watching the Orville....and strangely enjoying it.

The new ST? Still haven't seen a single episode, not paying for that shit...

Really enjoying the Orville as well. Thought it would be funnier but that's ok, keeps the stories engaging and not "spoofy".

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This has probably been mentioned, but tl;dr

The Klingons look and sound like utter shit. The makeup/masks are so damn heavy the actors mumble every word and only say things in 2 syllable bursts.

awful

Also, the tech thing I finally let slide but the spore drive? the fuck? why not just make it a post-TNG era show with all that? Glad its just a torrented show. I wouldnt wanna pay for it. Also I cant really stand the main character. Id rather watch a show centered on Lorca and Saru with a little bit of Clem Fandango thrown in.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
My opinion has changed. This is the best Star Trek show ever made.

Spoiler:
Klingon nipples.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
This has probably been mentioned, but tl;dr

Also, the tech thing I finally let slide but the spore drive? the fuck? why not just make it a post-TNG era show with all that? Glad its just a torrented show. I wouldnt wanna pay for it. Also I cant really stand the main character. Id rather watch a show centered on Lorca and Saru with a little bit of Clem Fandango thrown in.

because the Federation has done some terrible/crazy/unethical shit in the past. many times. no need to make it post TNG.
clearly the spore drive is gonna blow up in their face. the fun should now be watching how that unfolds.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Star Trek is finally back!

Does anyone still care?

Those that do, what are you hoping to see from the series?

I'm glad this made it to screen rather than the floated Worf spin off, I'm just done with klingons.
I watched the trailer for Star Trek: Discovery. I would have to say I prefer the old Star Trek TV series and movies (TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and the movies based on them). The old Star Trek series had better stories, more of a sense of exploration and discovery (rather than every episode being a fight between starships), more of a focus on technology (they actually had scientists and scientific academics as consultants- some of the technology was actually plausible, which is more interesting to me), (non-religious) morality, and the human condition. I guess at some point after Roddenberry died (after Voyager), they moved away from that. Now they are just regular action movies. I'm not sure if Enterprise is different from the old series, haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Enterprise is pretty terrible. Not as bad as voyager, mind you. But it's pretty shitty. Cool captain tho.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Really enjoying the Orville as well. Thought it would be funnier but that's ok, keeps the stories engaging and not "spoofy".

This.

Orville is a love song to TNG. They are mixing practical FX ship models with CGI, using directors from TNG and composing music with original TNG peeps. It's about as close to TNG as we will ever get today. It's great.

Fuck STD - looks terrible

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Another plus one to The Orville. First few epesodes were a little rough, but it just keeps getting better.

I'll probably check the new Star Trek out if it gets put on a streaming service that I have, or if I find a cheap box set at some point down the line.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Finished the first season of Orville, or whatever the first 10 eps are considered. I cant believe it, but the show is great.

Definitely more fun than Discovery. Bortus is my favorite character.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Still two episodes in this season to go. At least according to Wikipedia.