Star Trek: Discovery

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Star Trek is finally back!

Does anyone still care?

Those that do, what are you hoping to see from the series?

I'm glad this made it to screen rather than the floated Worf spin off, I'm just done with klingons.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
File under: series that didn't age well. It's funny how iconic nerdism became a commodity.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I'll be watching the first episode on CBS tonight. Looks good, but since it will be exclusively on CBS All Access after the first episode I will wait until the whole season comes out and use a free trial of CBS All Access to see the rest.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Definitely interested. The last couple tv series’ were misses for me, but the trailer for this one looks promising. Looks like they’re going with the JJ Abrams reboot style which I’m happy with as long as there is a lens flare every other second :D

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
interested yes. first season will likely be rough. like all Star Trek series.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I hope it doesn't suck

(most of) TNG and TOS are great
DS9 is pretty good once it gets going
TAS is cheap and crappy looking but not horrible
VOY is mostly awful with a few solid episodes
ENT is god damn unwatchable

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Fuck CBS all access, I'll just download it. Nothing else on CBS is worth watching...

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I'm definitely checking it out tonight, but my expectations are low for this one. But then again I set them low for most things these days. ;)

Why does everything need to be a prequel though? Enterprise was a turd mainly because they had to shoehorn it into cannon and it just didn't work. I want a new Trek show that takes place after Voyager and after the TNG films. Why is that so much to ask for?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Why does everything need to be a prequel though? Enterprise was a turd mainly because they had to shoehorn it into cannon and it just didn't work. I want a new Trek show that takes place after Voyager and after the TNG films. Why is that so much to ask for?

Agreed.

It feels to me like a prequel allows the writers to follow the new style set out by the films whilst also making the 'knowing winks' that the original fans will recognise, some kind of attempt to make everyone happy, which usually fails.

I really hope it doesn't though.

I hope it doesn't suck

(most of) TNG and TOS are great
DS9 is pretty good once it gets going
TAS is cheap and crappy looking but not horrible
VOY is mostly awful with a few solid episodes
ENT is god damn unwatchable

Nah, not really. The first series of TNG was appalling, and the last series wasn't much better. The rest were hit and miss but as a fan you could overlook a lot of shit.

TOS was total garbage for half of season 2 and all of season 3.

And voyager? I will never understand everyone's hatred for voyager. The ending was abrupt and the the start was drawn out, but this was the most complete star trek series ever made for me. Not the best, but the best structured.

If that doesn't get southtownkid posting again, nothing will.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Star Trek is finally back!

Does anyone still care?

Those that do, what are you hoping to see from the series?

I'm glad this made it to screen rather than the floated Worf spin off, I'm just done with klingons.

Hate to break it to you but this series is going to be focused on the Klingons :keke:

I'm hoping they let Michelle Yeoh bust out some of her badass kung fu as science vessel captain!

Also that they do not make the new Vulcan character too 'Spocky' and give her a unique characterization like Tuvok had.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Ugh, they will never 'get it' about the what's and why's of what makes Star Trek good. It just kills me.

The easiest 'good' they could have and still could do is to do a series that is set in the STAR TREK 2 THE WRATH OF KHAN universe (which also includes ST6: Undiscovered Country) and have George Takei start it off while he is still alive. Get good actors (with Brits) and film it the Way Nicolas Meyer style 'Navy ships at sea' Master and Commander vibe. For aliens? You could use any of them from the first series and movies, and have 'encounters' or hints kinds of episodes that presage the later series aliens- like hints of the Borg or others who could be there so long as they don't conflict with canon- trick but doable.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
It was alright. I wouldn't pay for a service to see it though.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It was quite different than any other Star Trek show. There seemed to have been parts of the episode missing as well, or if not then the transition portions for commercials were done very poorly. I liked how they actually did have the subtitled Klingon portions, I wonder if it is correct (I don't know the language) and if people who do know those things if they liked it. The main thing I am wondering about is timeline placement.

EDIT: wouldn't be shocked if Michael (aka Number 1) was a tranny.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I saw a commercial for star trek and was planning on watching it but instead i watched my raiders get the shit kicked out of them by the redskins. Not sure if i want to subscribe to cbs all access to watch.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Ugh, they will never 'get it' about the what's and why's of what makes Star Trek good. It just kills me.

The easiest 'good' they could have and still could do is to do a series that is set in the STAR TREK 2 THE WRATH OF KHAN universe (which also includes ST6: Undiscovered Country) and have George Takei start it off while he is still alive. Get good actors (with Brits) and film it the Way Nicolas Meyer style 'Navy ships at sea' Master and Commander vibe. For aliens? You could use any of them from the first series and movies, and have 'encounters' or hints kinds of episodes that presage the later series aliens- like hints of the Borg or others who could be there so long as they don't conflict with canon- trick but doable.

all the old movies are set in the same universe, from star trek TMP to Nemesis, retard.

and they already ruined the borg when they appeared in enterprise due to enterprise-e time travel fuckery in first contact.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
OK so from what I am reading online, there will be no more episodes of this show on TV? From now on only on CBS' online service?

all the old movies are set in the same universe, from star trek TMP to Nemesis, retard.

and they already ruined the borg when they appeared in enterprise due to enterprise-e time travel fuckery in first contact.

Well not exactly... Everything post Generations takes place in the Nexus.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
OK so from what I am reading online, there will be no more episodes of this show on TV? From now on only on CBS' online service?

It looks that way, how stupid.

It's funny how the television industry just keeps fucking things up. People are shedding complete pay packages because they're sick of being socked for $150+/mo just to watch television. Streaming services begin to take over and their popularity skyrockets. The individual channels/productions houses are now starting this singular shit and it's going to fuck everything up once again.

There will be people who are willing to pay for this channel or that, but no one is fleeing $150/mo just to pay 20 different companies $10/mo for the same fucking thing.

One other thing that still gets me is the "ability" to pay for a service without commercials...as if they're saying "yes, we get it, commercial are total shit, we admit it and understand how much you all hate them. Pay us an additional $3-5/mo and we won't make you watch them." Assholes.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I watched the first episode and thought it was shit. It looked pretty, but that was about it. As much as I love Michelle Yeoh, they should have gotten someone else for her part.

Leaving footprints during a sand storm????

The show is named discovery, which I presume will be the name of the new ship, but it didn't even make an appearance in the first episode. Nothing in the first episode seemed to hint at a theme of discovery at all.

Too much influence from the reboot films and not enough from TOS and TNG.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I liked it, though it had some flaws with pacing, overabundance of exposition, and informing the audience of what the hell is going on at times (notably during the big space battle).

This is the pilot, and essentially a prologue however, so I'm not going to judge it harshly. I think it has a lot of potential to be great, as long as it doesn't become an overly serious, overly dramatic darkfest.

Remember, TNG, DS9, and Voyager sucked ass their first years. Star Trek series need time to get their sea legs.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
The technology discontinuity was too distracting for me. Hologram communication, not in a holodeck, that interact with physical objects in the room, wth?
Vulcans can now telepathically communicate across lightyears of space, huh?
Cloaking technology that existed before any mention of Romulans?

Spoiler:
First officer: "Hi, I'm all logical because I was raised by Vulcans. My actions are to prevent war and save our lives."
Later..."we should definitely not kill the main Klingon baddy, he'd become a martyr, they'd for sure rally for war"
Captain: "Agreed, definitely don't kill him"

Later still...First officer: "OH SHIT Captain's dead, KILL THAT MOTHERFUCKER"

Michelle Yeoh didn't even throw one kick, what's the point of casting her?? It's not like she could act very well!

This is a train wreck. It's like a Star Trek made for people who don't follow Star Trek, and what I want to know is why the hell would you bother trying to fit it into the original canon?

After the first episode I thought it was "ok", at least I was willing to give it a chance. Then the second episode came along and I threw in the towel. It's really terrible. There is no way I'm paying to watch this, I knew I wouldn't after seeing the pilot. It wasn't good enough to get you hooked into wanting more.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
I thought the second episode was better (more action) but yeah Im kinda like wth happened in the second episode. I wouldn’t pay to see the rest of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I liked it, though it had some flaws with pacing, overabundance of exposition, and informing the audience of what the hell is going on at times (notably during the big space battle).

This is the pilot, and essentially a prologue however, so I'm not going to judge it harshly. I think it has a lot of potential to be great, as long as it doesn't become an overly serious, overly dramatic darkfest.

Remember, TNG, DS9, and Voyager sucked ass their first years. Star Trek series need time to get their sea legs.

TNG needed three seasons to stop using unused screenplays from Phase 2 though.