What's your favorite House of the Dead game

the house of the dead

• Total voters

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
ssia

I've briefly played 3 and 4 but not enough to form an opinion, really enjoyed this series when I was younger. Too bad light gun games aren't a thing anymore.

Overkill added because meh. And yeah Typing and Pinball but talking about the light gun games here.

edit: guess you can talk about Vampire Night and Ninja Assault as well if you'd like.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Overkill is probably the most fun overall but I spent a lot of time playing House of the Dead 2 on Dreamcast.

I don't recall ever playing the first one, despite having a Saturn and light gun as a kid

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
House of the Dead 2. My cousin and I played the shit out of the DC version back in the day. We only had 1 gun though, so one of us had to play with a standard controller, which sucked.

The first one is a close second. That along with Time Crisis and Silent Scope are the only gun games I remember playing in arcades as a kid. If the Saturn port wasn't so expensive I'd buy it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If the Saturn port wasn't so expensive I'd buy it.

The Japanese version is cheap...or was cheap. Got it 6 years ago for around 30 bucks, no idea what the price is now.

Only complaint about the first game is how short it is. Perfect length for an arcade game but leaves you wanting more at home.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Didn't even know it existed until number 2, probably because of the DC release. I remember the big HOTD2 machines in the arcades with the curtains and all, was some pretty cool shit at the time.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I played the 2nd game a lot on the Dreamcast and Wii.

Suffer like G did

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
great thread.
would have said 2 or 3 because they are brilliant (3 with shotgun and fat zombie cop boss and monster sloth)
but voted 1 because it is the first and hit all the right buttons from the get go. it was audacious. very satisfying.

Zombie's Revenge and the pinball game are def worth mentioning too.

a shame they fucked with the formula so much later on. it really was one of the best things in gaming

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
For quick pick up and play 2 and III are the most gratifying to me, but if you've got some time to soak into a long playthrough Overkill is such a fun trip. Gameplay is solid and the grindhouse story is perfectly done and fun to play, and replay when you've got someone to go at it with as player 2.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i picked 2 because it's my favourite one, but i always wanted to buy the first game but every one told me to say away from it because it sucks apparently. so i didn't spend the big money the game used to go for just to try it out. may be the only big name sega game i never played.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
i picked 2 because it's my favourite one, but i always wanted to buy the first game but every one told me to say away from it because it sucks apparently. so i didn't spend the big money the game used to go for just to try it out. may be the only big name sega game i never played.

yeah it's a shit port. when you where a Saturn owner back then you had to make do sometimes. was really fucking frustrating to be honest - game wasn't even done inhouse, a rush job by some Australian outfit. the cheek
but the arcade version, my gosh, so lovely

-

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

I knew they had ported Manx TT and HOTD for Saturn but by the looks of things they have been very busy indeed - did the HD port of Celda, not bad,
though-
The developer’s best performing title was the 2007 girl’s horse riding simulator Pony Friends for the Nintendo DS, which sold more than 1 million copies, making it the largest-selling single-format game developed in Australia
ugh

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I don't like the Euro theme of the second game, I guess. I dunno. All the victims dressed up like a bunch of posh dandies. Big open city in Italy?. I prefer the locale of the original, which takes a cue from the first Resident Evil just keeping it all inside some bigass mansion and eventually getting to the inner sanctum with more technological shit happening. The victim characters all dressed in white and looking very weak and scientist-ey also helped.

So 10 votes for 2, two votes for 1 and three (???!!!) votes for Overkill which I wrote off as American-developed trash...guess it says a lot that no one even posted or can even remember 3 and 4, wow.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
So 10 votes for 2, two votes for 1 and three (???!!!) votes for Overkill which I wrote off as American-developed trash...guess it says a lot that no one even posted or can even remember 3 and 4, wow.

Don't write off Overkill until you give it a try.

III is solid but compared to the others it has a lot of gameplay changes that make it a bit less engaging than 2 in my opinion. Auto-refilling the shotgun is nice but it takes away from some of the stress/calculation I enjoyed with tracking your shots and mentally knowing when to reload so you're not up shit creek if a zombie pops out on you.

4 was arcade only for a long time and then I think they dropped a PSN version much later so I can only comment on the bits I played at the Arcade. It was fun, but at the price I was paying I didn't get that far into it remember much about it. Home versions are really where I spend the most time with light gun shooters unless I have a day/hourly pass at an arcade and can focus on something for awhile.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The Wii is actually fantastic for light gun shooters:
The House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return
The House of the Dead Overkill
Resident Evil: the Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: the Darkside Chronicles
Ghost Squad
Dead Space: Extraction
Gunblade New York and LA Machine Guns dual pack

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The Wii is actually fantastic for light gun shooters:
The House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return
The House of the Dead Overkill
Resident Evil: the Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: the Darkside Chronicles
Ghost Squad
Dead Space: Extraction
Gunblade New York and LA Machine Guns dual pack

I don't remember if the Zelda crossbow training thing was any good.

those lightgun games you mention are great indeed.
but I'm certain you could have had 3 times as many, more Sega compilations and the like (Namco, Konami SNK collections etc.), and it would have been brilliant. it is a bit of a missed opportunity.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Honestly 4 is the best one but, I feel like hardly anyones gotten a chance to experience the premium arcade setup. 2 probably wins by default for most people cause that's all theyve played. 3 is also a fucking excellent experience at the arcade with the pump action reloading shotguns.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Honestly 4 is the best one but, I feel like hardly anyones gotten a chance to experience the premium arcade setup. 2 probably wins by default for most people cause that's all theyve played. 3 is also a fucking excellent experience at the arcade with the pump action reloading shotguns.

Are you talking about the version of 4 with the cab that rotates and has screens on the front/back, plus like the fog/wind stuff as well?
I got to play that a couple of times when I was at a Gameworks in Schaumburg and it was epic! It unfortunately also cost like $3 a credit or something though so it was almost prohibitively expensive to work all the way through.