Accents... that make you go... WTF...

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
A thick geordie or scottish accent is hard to get to grips with.
Seeing as i'm welsh though, i can't really have a pop at accents, i've had my leg pulled while in england and abroad loads of times.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Boston.

I'm sure they make fun of ny accents as enthusiastically. I have a peer who's from Boston and ensures everyone knows as soon as he opens his mouth. It's fun.

Oh yes!

The Boston/New England accent sounds absurd and goofy to my ears. Like something to make fun of and impersonate. EXAMPLE: They have a breakfast food called 'Journey Cakes' which a Bostonian or New Englander will say 'Johnny Cakes'. for some reason I just love making fun of this dialect.

OR

What about the Scottish accent when pronouncing very serious things with dire consequences such as nuclear warfare ...omg it's like a magical pixie just entered the room to announce our impending doom. Keep trilling those 'R's Scotland, we love ya. :lol:

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
This is fascinating.

I was told a (moderately) interesting explanation for the thick accents. Specifically to avoid this being the case they send out a UK, or in your case US born employee to vet all of the candidates in whichever slum country they're exploiting. So someone from home makes sure that they only pick people with accents clearly understandable by people back home.

So far so good, only 2 months down the line the guy who has moved out there is completely used to the local accents and can understand even the broadest local effort at English and starts hiring people who sound great to him but like gaddafi to everyone back home.

So unless they move out a new guy to vet them every couple of weeks, this isn't going to stop.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Oh yes!

The Boston/New England accent sounds absurd and goofy to my ears. Like something to make fun of and impersonate. EXAMPLE: They have a breakfast food called 'Journey Cakes' which a Bostonian or New Englander will say 'Johnny Cakes'. for some reason I just love making fun of this dialect.

OR

What about the Scottish accent when pronouncing very serious things with dire consequences such as nuclear warfare ...omg it's like a magical pixie just entered the room to announce our impending doom. Keep trilling those 'R's Scotland, we love ya. :lol:

That's not the accent. They're actually called Johnnycakes up here.

Also, I've wondered how different the Boston and Brooklyn accent are to an outsider.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Really strong Northern Ireland accents

What? You don't like folks from durry, nurwy, baalfast, or dun? Nah it's a rough one to get used to. But if you think that's bad don't travel down to Cork... Dear god.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What? You don't like folks from durry, nurwy, baalfast, or dun? Nah it's a rough one to get used to. But if you think that's bad don't travel down to Cork... Dear god.

I overheard a couple Irish guys in the local pools when I was there last, it was diddly de diddly do potato the entire fucking way. What the hell are you saying!?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I overheard a couple Irish guys in the local pools when I was there last, it was diddly de diddly do potato the entire fucking way. What the hell are you saying!?

Add an "aye, fair play mate" and that's it

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

Also, I've wondered how different the Boston and Brooklyn accent are to an outsider.

They are very different. When I lived in Texas and Missouri people made it a point to notice when I said things like coffee, water, and such.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
The other day I was catching up on a few Ray Donovan episodes. That accent is strange to me.
When they say the word "sure", they kinda pronounce it as "shouhhr." lol

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
They are very different. When I lived in Texas and Missouri people made it a point to notice when I said things like coffee, water, and such.

Ha, yeah, "coffee" is very different. Also, I like how Canadians pronounce "water" as "witer" and "robots" as "robits".

Hmm, if I were to say "sure" with a Boston accent, it would sound more like, "shuuhh" where you just kinda trail off at the end without really pronouncing either the second part of the U sound or the R.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I am trying to read the "Trainspotting" novel (since I liked the movie a lot) but I'm having a hard time deciphering it. With much effort I can understand most of it, but veeery slowly.

I love Trainspotting and own the novel too. I have tried to read it on multiple occasions and always end up putting it back on the shelf as the accents are annoying to decipher. When reading this thread, I thought of the same thing!

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I love Trainspotting and own the novel too. I have tried to read it on multiple occasions and always end up putting it back on the shelf as the accents are annoying to decipher. When reading this thread, I thought of the same thing!

How far are you getting in? I found after an hour or so of reading I'd forgotten it was even scottish, you do get used to it.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
How far are you getting in? I found after an hour or so of reading I'd forgotten it was even scottish, you do get used to it.

In all honesty, not that far. I love reading the books that accompany/expand-on movies I love but I just couldn't embrace Trainspotting.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,

That's why why they spell it that way now- they're making fun (sort of) of the accent by spelling it Johnny Cakes. They were originally Journey Cakes in Colonial times. and New Englanders pronounced it 'Johnny' because of the accent.

Let me ask you a question though- how would a heavy accented New Englander pronounce the word 'journey' phonetically? See? :)

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
I'm nearly positive the only time I needed to call eBay customer service it was somewhere in the greater Mumbai area.

My problem got resolved, but the entire process of dealing with a human at eBay is not one I want to repeat anytime soon. I'm pretty sure there is a circle of hell where your constantly on hold and dealing with robo operators 24/7.

Had to laugh hard about this one....in Germany it's the sachsony...and don't let them speak english!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Over here, the accents are more like dialects, straying so far from the standard it kind of becomes its own language. Where I used to live the people were really proud of their dialect, even had an entire set of post cards based around the different words/phrases.

A strong memory I have is when visiting Sichuan (Szechuan) I asked a bus driver a question about getting somewhere and the dude talked and it didn't sound like Mandarin at all. Got my gf to ask him and she had absolutely no idea what he was saying either, we just broke into laughter at the absurdity of it - the bus driver could clearly understand us, but he could not communicate with us. A teenager on the bus helped translate from the local dialect into Mandarin and that was it.

Which is different from America, where you've got some accents but it's still mutually intelligible.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Which is different from America, where you've got some accents but it's still mutually intelligible.

The variety in accents in American or British English is quite interesting in comparison to Australian English. For example you can tell where someone is from based upon their accent, in Australia you really cant tell to such a degree. It's probably due to the age of the society, dispersion of population and how limited travel between population centres was with Australia being considerably younger.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
That's why why they spell it that way now- they're making fun (sort of) of the accent by spelling it Johnny Cakes. They were originally Journey Cakes in Colonial times. and New Englanders pronounced it 'Johnny' because of the accent.

Let me ask you a question though- how would a heavy accented New Englander pronounce the word 'journey' phonetically? See? :)

Eh, most people, even with a thick accent, would pronounce it "jyernee". But either way, I'm OK with that. The word "ampersand" was invented because British people would say "and, per se, and" when the ampersand was part of the alphabet. I think it's kinda stupid when fad words are added to the dictionary, but this type of stuff I don't mind.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I thought Johnnycakes was a Vermont thing.

Anyways, do you know how to tell when a Boston accent is super extreme? It's when a person starts inserting R's after vowels. This happens. "Hey, Christiner, like my cah?". I don't think there's a Brooklyn equivalent to that one.

Although I don't have a Boston accent, I bet I wouldn't blend in as nicely as I'd hope if I were placed in an area devoid of regional accents. Wasn't the basis for the "broadcast accent" Nebraskan? They'd probably think I speak funny over there, even though I don't.

What do you/you guys/y'all/yinz think the relationship between American regional accents and class is? I'm sure that's just one of many variables that can determine the existence or erosion of regional accents though.

Last edited: