Greedy bastards. It's too early to advertise for Christmas stuff!

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Is it just me, or does this happen earlier and earlier each year? A couple of nights ago I heard a radio advertisement for a Christmas concert (TSO). Seriously, it's the middle of September.

Discuss...

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
I think a few companies started last month. It's the Mayan calendar for the modern age. When Christmas advertising starts on 12/26 is when the end of days is here.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Is it just me, or does this happen earlier and earlier each year? A couple of nights ago I heard a radio advertisement for a Christmas concert (TSO). Seriously, it's the middle of September.

Discuss...

TSO is pretty good, and their tours are usually pretty extensive IIRC, so that makes sense.

But for the consumerist culture? Hell no. Fuck that shit right off until the day after Thanksgiving.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Yeah, I've started seeing Christmas adverts in some stores over the past week; it's pretty sickening.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
It's an evolving trend...

Long before, Christmas season started right after Thanksgiving.

Then, Halloween became the kickoff for the Christmas season.

Now it seemed like a few stores want to make Labor Day the start. Go figure.

Me...I was complaining when all the Spirit Halloween stores started popping up and the local mall is already building their annual Haunted House :p

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I agree with your point. But to be fair, most big venue concerts sell/advertise tickets 6+ months in advance. Also dumb, but true.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
true, super stores are selling mince pies and christmas cakes already. usually they wait for after halloween before they put out that stuff.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well if Bob's store puts it's holiday crap out and people buy it, you can bet that next year his competitor will put theirs out a few days earlier than Bob. It kind of seems to go like that around here. It will stop when it comes out early enough that people just aren't buying it fast enough to make the shelf space profitable and then they will start to dial it back a bit I think.

It happens with all kind of stuff, like patio furniture, window air units, portable heaters. We get our stuff in at work earlier every year and it's sold out well before the season is over, but that's okay because we are getting the next season of shit in early to take it's place. It's getting where you can't buy the crap during the time you would use it but have to buy it before you really need it. For example when people wait until it gets really hot and come in trying to buy window air units, we are already almost sold out of them every time. Most patio furniture is sold out before the weather is really nice enough to regularly enjoy it. That sort of thing. Also with our online business, we don't have to stock it in store as long as it can just be ordered on line and sent to the customer.

Getting your seasonal stock out early, means you sell down early and lets you keep your seasonal rotation going, while using your online order fulfillment to to act as your warehouse so you don't have to carry as much stock that you could be stuck with at end of season. Big box stores are all working to have an end to end fulfillment system that keeps their in store stock at a minimum on anything that it makes sense to have that way (that is different for each type of business). This they couple with a just in time restocking program, where ideally they only keep a few days worth of sales per item on the shelves at any given time as new product is constantly coming in.

The online sales programs that big boxes are pushing are also turning their stores into more showroom space than retail space in some ways. We won't get as many of something in as we used to even though we can sell them, because we are expected to sell them online. Sometimes we only get displays of things. This works with the seasonal holiday merchandise as well. We'll carry a small selection of something like holiday inflatables, and include signage and displays showing off all the other ones you can order on line through us.

Honestly though, I don't see why people buy all that holiday decor crap.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I heard the TSO commercial too and I'm sad to say I didn't have a single thought about how far off Christmas is. I'm becoming one of them.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
They should just sell everything for every event all the time, it's what we're inevitably heading towards anyway. I'm against putting up all these stupid decorations, trees, lights etc. Hey guys its christmas lets get that power bill nice and expensive!

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It's just you. They've been advertising X-Mas in September since at least the 90's. Thank the Cabbage Patch Kids craze for that. Now if you want to talk about Black Friday now happening on Thursday afternoon (Thanksgiving) have at it.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
No way this shit started back in the 90s. I feel like this is more of a trend that started in the last 10 years. Never remember seeing Nintendo and Sega adds for Christmas release in the middle of September when it was 90* outside.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
No way this shit started back in the 90s. I feel like this is more of a trend that started in the last 10 years. Never remember seeing Nintendo and Sega adds for Christmas release in the middle of September when it was 90* outside.

Been in retail since the late 90's and a mall rat in the early 90's. It wasn't every store, but the switch happened in the 90's. Possibly the late 80's since the CBK craze was the trigger. Hell I remember Carson Pirie Scott had their X-Mas stuff out in late August. That time I bitched up a storm.

If you are saying this referring to commercials then you might be right. I can't remember when I typically see commercials, but then again I'm barely watching TV anymore.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This is discussed earlier and earlier each year.

Discuss.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Xmas is less special if it lasts 1/3 of the year.

Well if Bob's store puts it's holiday crap out and people buy it, you can bet that next year his competitor will put theirs out a few days earlier than Bob. It kind of seems to go like that around here. It will stop when it comes out early enough that people just aren't buying it fast enough to make the shelf space profitable and then they will start to dial it back a bit I think.

It happens with all kind of stuff, like patio furniture, window air units, portable heaters. We get our stuff in at work earlier every year and it's sold out well before the season is over, but that's okay because we are getting the next season of shit in early to take it's place. It's getting where you can't buy the crap during the time you would use it but have to buy it before you really need it. For example when people wait until it gets really hot and come in trying to buy window air units, we are already almost sold out of them every time. Most patio furniture is sold out before the weather is really nice enough to regularly enjoy it. That sort of thing. Also with our online business, we don't have to stock it in store as long as it can just be ordered on line and sent to the customer.

Getting your seasonal stock out early, means you sell down early and lets you keep your seasonal rotation going, while using your online order fulfillment to to act as your warehouse so you don't have to carry as much stock that you could be stuck with at end of season. Big box stores are all working to have an end to end fulfillment system that keeps their in store stock at a minimum on anything that it makes sense to have that way (that is different for each type of business). This they couple with a just in time restocking program, where ideally they only keep a few days worth of sales per item on the shelves at any given time as new product is constantly coming in.

The online sales programs that big boxes are pushing are also turning their stores into more showroom space than retail space in some ways. We won't get as many of something in as we used to even though we can sell them, because we are expected to sell them online. Sometimes we only get displays of things. This works with the seasonal holiday merchandise as well. We'll carry a small selection of something like holiday inflatables, and include signage and displays showing off all the other ones you can order on line through us.

Honestly though, I don't see why people buy all that holiday decor crap.

You've been in retail too long, and you should know better than to try and make sense of it.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Americans consume consume and consume... no real surprise that corporations keep nudging them on.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
You've been in retail too long, and you should know better than to try and make sense of it.

I make sense out of it all the time. The problem is the answer is never what you want to hear. I wish we could tell the customer the 100% unfiltered truth. Just for the mock outrage faces alone.