Any Wired Controller Options for PS3 or alternative?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm sick and tired of these ps3 controllers going to shit. The new one's that I ordered a year ago on ebay look like original PS3 controllers but could be chinese knock offs. The Dpad is pretty stiff and you have to press down kind of hard for commands to register.

I would love to use a usb adapter that actually works good with PS2 controllers. The usb adapter I have works but I have to unplug and replug like 4 times before it finally detects the controller.

I could give two shits about wireless. I just want a good quality controller that works and I could use the home button.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I can't help you with wired ones, but I can tell you those PS3 knockoffs are probably the ones by Shanwan I think the company is called - they're everywhere. Even the packaging is 98% identical to real Sony packaging. I've bought them by accident on both Amazon and eBay (and returned them). At first glance they're so close to the real thing the only way I could tell they're fake is to plug them into a computer and see what the USB ID is - it'll come back as non-Sony then you can confirm it's a counterfit.

My only advice is to pickup used (real wireless Sony brand) ones which are NOT black in color, since the Shanwan (to my knowledge) only makes knock-offs in black. I have 6x real PS3 controllers I picked up for maybe $10-15/each off places like LetGo and OfferUp (I use them for Raspberry Pi 3 emulation as they're the best quality wireless controllers I've found), and all have been flawless (had to open up two and clean some gunk out of them, but they were perfect after that for months now).

If you don't mind spending more money to guarantee they're real, I've seen real/original PS3 controllers in stock a couple months ago at both MicroCenters semi-close to you (Brooklyn, NY and St. Davids, PA). I think they were $50 which was regular retail on them. Good luck.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I can't help you with wired ones, but I can tell you those PS3 knockoffs are probably the ones by Shanwan I think the company is called - they're everywhere. Even the packaging is 98% identical to real Sony packaging. I've bought them by accident on both Amazon and eBay (and returned them). At first glance they're so close to the real thing the only way I could tell they're fake is to plug them into a computer and see what the USB ID is - it'll come back as non-Sony then you can confirm it's a counterfit.

My only advice is to pickup used (real wireless Sony brand) ones which are NOT black in color, since the Shanwan (to my knowledge) only makes knock-offs in black. I have 6x real PS3 controllers I picked up for maybe $10-15/each off places like LetGo and OfferUp (I use them for Raspberry Pi 3 emulation as they're the best quality wireless controllers I've found), and all have been flawless (had to open up two and clean some gunk out of them, but they were perfect after that for months now).

If you don't mind spending more money to guarantee they're real, I've seen real/original PS3 controllers in stock a couple months ago at both MicroCenters semi-close to you (Brooklyn, NY and St. Davids, PA). I think they were $50 which was regular retail on them. Good luck.

Yea, I'm not paying $50 for a PS3 controller. Fuck me Running, every new controller I find for a good price is coming from China. Does anyone have a link to were I could buy a legit sony branded controller new or refurb?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
The one thing I hate about ps3 controllers, much like PS2 is that certain ones like to have the analogue sticks turn sticky and break down. With this in mind, Sony changed the rubber plastic on PS4 controllers to prevent this.

the blue one I have is almost like new and seems to be holding up well but it is a later made one I got like three years ago. My other two ps3 controllers not so much. One of the analog stick sticks on one, and the other has the rubber cap coming off. The later can be fixed with a new piece of plastic, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Honestly its either pony up for a new one (get a cool color one imo as I think there is less chance of being a bootleg) on ebay or find a used one.They seem to be 35-50 new on ebay. Lots of cool colors, I should pick up another sometime.

How much money have you spent on chinamanese ps3 controllers?

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Ps4 controller + a longer cable.

home button won't work though.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Good luck. I bought a fake White controller on eBay a couple months ago without knowing it. Came in a real looking box and everything. After that I searched high and low for a new one and had no luck whatsoever. They are completely sold out online everywhere and no local places have any in stock. I'm sure GameStop and the used market is filled with fakes as well. It's gonna be a pain to find legit controllers

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Ps4 controller + a longer cable.

home button won't work though.

I think I tried this before but I know certain games were not compatible with the ps4/ps2 controller. I think one of them was Daytona USA. It's been awhile though, so they might have added a patch for that. This was when I went ahead and purchased these ps3 controllers. I knew something felt funny when I first started using them. They just weren't as responsive as the originals but thought they just probably needed to get broken in. After a year of use, I still have to press down that directional pad hard as shit for it to work.

I can't believe how after all these years they don't have any good wired alternatives or a good 3rd party controller.

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Inpin/pelican adapter coupled with PSX/ps2 pads is where its at. What i used to use when I played Tekken 5 DR, before i started using stick more.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Brooks certainly makes good stuff, I am loving my UFB.

Have you ever tried the PS3/PS4 to PS2 converters with a brook UFB? Im pretty sure they are decent, but I haven't seen any lag test done with leds and shit which is surprising. Of course the lag would be dependent on what the base lag of your stick is which can vary quite a bit.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Fake PS3 controllers? I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks for the heads up!

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I would love to use a usb adapter that actually works good with PS2 controllers. The usb adapter I have works but I have to unplug and replug like 4 times before it finally detects the controller. I could give two shits about wireless. I just want a good quality controller that works and I could use the home button.

This is strange, to say the least. The best thing about PS3 is that you can plug just about anything, as long as it supports USB. I've tired everything, from PSOne and PS2 controllers, to 8BitDo, Wii arcade sticks and what have you, often using not one, but two converters. I've never had any problems. Ever. That's how good PS3's USB device handling is. Try another PSOne / PS2 to USB. As long as it's something else than what you already have, it will work. The one you got must be the only model on earth that for some reason isn't compatible.

I could connect a potato to a PS3 via USB and it would probably work if I pressed the sprouts.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Brooks certainly makes good stuff, I am loving my UFB.

Have you ever tried the PS3/PS4 to PS2 converters with a brook UFB? Im pretty sure they are decent, but I haven't seen any lag test done with leds and shit which is surprising. Of course the lag would be dependent on what the base lag of your stick is which can vary quite a bit.
We have friday fight nights, and acouple of us bring ps2 setups for cvs2/alpha/tekken/etc. Afew of the guys have the ps3/4 to ps2 adapters by brook. Work without any issue. Infact i plan on getting one just to have for my ps2 setup. I only have hraps for ps2. Just bought a namco stick and will use the adapter on my hori v3 to make hauling sticks around alot easier since those are both alot smaller than a hrap.
If your interested in it, go ahead and get one, you wont have any issues, especially if you using a brook board

This is strange, to say the least. The best thing about PS3 is that you can plug just about anything, as long as it supports USB. I've tired everything, from PSOne and PS2 controllers, to 8BitDo, Wii arcade sticks and what have you, often using not one, but two converters. I've never had any problems. Ever. That's how good PS3's USB device handling is. Try another PSOne / PS2 to USB. As long as it's something else than what you already have, it will work. The one you got must be the only model on earth that for some reason isn't compatible.

I could connect a potato to a PS3 via USB and it would probably work if I pressed the sprouts.

problem with just any adapter or using multiple adapters is input lag. If your just playing a 1player game or something it might be fine. But ppl playing fighting games may feel the difference when using a cheap adapter or multiple.
But yes ps3 is cool in the sense it will accept alot of things

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
i havent seen any tests done like on their other adapters, but if the CVS2 OG's that play on friday arent complaining about it then its good.
they are some picky mutha fuckas