Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Anyone picked up Metroid: Samus Returns for the 3DS?

I like it so far and the story additions, but I don't love it. I've played through to the first Metroid and there is just something about the controls that feel...off (and needlessly complicated). That said, I'm eager to keep playing it and exploring.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I'm still only half way through Super Metroid.... if Samus Returns works for my hacked 3ds, I'll let you know.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Only played a till the second zone. One major problem I have is the screen scrolling and it's blurring, it feels really weird to me and reminds me of playing Dracula X Chronicles on the first PSP.

Game seems to be alright though.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I've played through the first couple areas, and I think it's okay but not quite as good as other 2D Metroids. Pros for me are the great 3D effect, map on second screen, counter move, and music. Cons are the controls, boring enemies, and level design.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I've played through the first couple areas, and I think it's okay but not quite as good as other 2D Metroids. Pros for me are the great 3D effect, map on second screen, counter move, and music. Cons are the controls, boring enemies, and level design.

Ugh, I loathe the counter move. Just give me a more powerful shot as I progress so I don't have to keep spamming the Y button on these stupid flying and wall hugging enemies.

But yeah, the enemies get downright boring fast, as it's the same ones over...and over...and over...and over. And they respawn even if you don't leave an area, making exploration a chore.

Oh, and I was stuck for a good long time in Area 1 just trying to freeze an enemy that's above water, jump on him (which is crazy difficult with the controls), shot a bomb, and then jump off up through that open space...all before the enemy unfroze and the wall sealed up. That definitely could've used some adjustments to make it less frustrating. [Ugh... Just read that I could've used a charged Ice Beam shot to make the stupid thing freeze longer.]

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Ugh, I loathe the counter move. Just give me a more powerful shot as I progress so I don't have to keep spamming the Y button on these stupid flying and wall hugging enemies.

But yeah, the enemies get downright boring fast, as it's the same ones over...and over...and over...and over. And they respawn even if you don't leave an area, making exploration a chore.

Oh, and I was stuck for a good long time in Area 1 just trying to freeze an enemy that's above water, jump on him (which is crazy difficult with the controls), shot a bomb, and then jump off up through that open space...all before the enemy unfroze and the wall sealed up. That definitely could've used some adjustments to make it less frustrating. [Ugh... Just read that I could've used a charged Ice Beam shot to make the stupid thing freeze longer.]

Now that I've played more, I would actually move the counter to the con list. It was fun at first but I'm getting sick of it, too. I'd move the music to the con list as well at this point. I think it's a little too atmospheric in most areas. When you first landed it was fine, but I've decided I want some more melody.

The window for freezing enemies is weirdly short, like you mentioned. Although, if it lasted longer, I'm sure I'd just freeze everything to avoid having to use the counter while I look for stuff.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Overemphasis on the parry is annoying. Feels like a typical MercurySteam game to me- pretty cool for the most part, then one or two weird design choices that bring things down.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yeesh. I was planning on getting this but after reading this thread I might avoid it. I did play the fan remake last year and really liked it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
If you enjoyed the fan remake you should at least try it rather than go by 2 or 3 opinions.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Overemphasis on the parry is annoying. Feels like a typical MercurySteam game to me- pretty cool for the most part, then one or two weird design choices that bring things down.

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. As that first post said, like it, but in no way do I love it. The counter in a pain in the ass, especially on metroids, and just grating having to use it so often everywhere else.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Okay, I'm mid-Area 6 with less than a handful of Metroids left. The game is much, much, much better in the later Areas. Basically, once you get the Spazer Beam, the random enemies start becoming far less of a pain in the butt to deal with. And things just become a total piece of cake once you have the Plasma Beam.

I still don't like the graphic style for most of the areas, but when it's done right (like creatures moving in the backgrounds and huge open areas with lots of color), it can be quite excellent.

Basically, it's a massive game and worth playing...you might just have to play it a while before it grows on you.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I spent some time with it last Saturday, and it is definitely rough in the beginning. I'm in area 4 now and it does get a lot better. It is well worth a playthrough, but like many people have stated, the parry is some BS.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I spent some time with it last Saturday, and it is definitely rough in the beginning. I'm in area 4 now and it does get a lot better. It is well worth a playthrough, but like many people have stated, the parry is some BS.

Yeah, the game really comes into its own in the later half. There are some fairly great (and hard) boss battles in this game, too.

Trying to counter in them is far more difficult than it should be, though. So if you aren't good at the counter thing, you better get real good at being able to dodge and have plenty of missiles on hand (or be able to spam the ice beam constantly) as those Metroids can be downright bullet sponges.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I don't get why everyone hates the parry...

I like it, Parry-ice beam-Parry kills almost everything and saves misiles...

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic

The counter can be quite tricky to pull off correctly during some of the boss battles, though. The last Metroid boss, thankfully, isn't that difficult to master, once if you know the strategy.

That said, the best weapon for general enemies is definitely the Plasma Beam. Shoots three waves directly through the walls. You can kill just about anything with it except some of the Area 8 EMP crab things and turrets.

Last edited:

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
Fuck all the hate. This game is a banger. Prob not the best in the series but its dam sure worthy of being a Metroid game.

Now we need a new Castlevania like the DS and GBA ones.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Finished it this morning. My thoughts from before pretty much still apply, but a few of the later upgrades make revisiting areas much less of a chore. You won't have to rely on the counter quite as often as in the early going, and eventually I think it strikes a fair balance at the end. I appreciate the difficulty level, too. It usually took me a couple tries to nail down the boss patterns without dying. Overall, it's definitely a "worthy" Metroid game though I'm not sure where I'd rank it in the series except to say it's for sure better than the original Metroid II.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

The parry is awesome.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Overall, it's definitely a "worthy" Metroid game though I'm not sure where I'd rank it in the series except to say it's for sure better than the original Metroid II.

I know I beat Metroid II GB back when it came out, but I can't remember a thing about it other than spider balling around the ceiling of some huge area looking for the queen or something. It's pretty...forgettable.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I know I beat Metroid II GB back when it came out, but I can't remember a thing about it other than spider balling around the ceiling of some huge area looking for the queen or something. It's pretty...forgettable.

Original Metroid II was amazing. One of the best looking and most fun games released on GB. You also have Metroid II to thank for thing like the space jump, spring ball etc...

neomeo

New Challenger
To me in purchasing the 3ds is it’s all about the screens. It’s a lottery is what I understand it to Be.