3D printing battery lid: Lost your NGP or NGPC coin cell cover / battery door?

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Well, I printed extra on my new 3D printer:
aej2rpXl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aej2rpX.jpg
Thanks to whoever uploaded that to Thingiverse!

I still haven't decided if I want to keep black or white but since I have two white ones then at least one of those is available. It fits the original NGP as well as the NGPC but not the slim Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Giving. Not selling. Just dropping it into an envelope with a stamp. Please don't be upset if you called dibs and I give it to someone else due to other concerns (burdensome international shipping, for example; from the USA, BTW). If I can ship it internationally for under $1.50 USD I will.

As you can see, it isn't pretty, but it fits and works great.

Before anyone asks:
I tried 3D printing standard battery doors and other things with clips/latches and they always break with my current plastic filament material (PLA). I'll try again when I get set up to print ABS and if it works out I might have an extra for you guys, but that's in the distant future. Still getting the hang of this.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Before anyone asks:
I tried 3D printing standard battery doors and other things with clips/latches and they always break with my current plastic filament material (PLA).

I was just about to ask that. Thanks for the clarification. Can you tell us more about which 3D printer you used? How long it took to print? Are you sure just shipping in a plain envelope will be safe? If there is shipping damage will you send another?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
And does it have plasticizers. We can't forget about that.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
I was just about to ask that. Thanks for the clarification. Can you tell us more about which 3D printer you used? How long it took to print? Are you sure just shipping in a plain envelope will be safe? If there is shipping damage will you send another?
I used a Creality CR-10, which seems to be the current darling of 3D printer enthusiasts. Being the noob that I am, I wanted one with an active community so I jumped in with that one. It's stand-out feature is really just a huge build area, which I hope to use for printing stuff your average 3D printer simply can't.

The NGP/NGPS coin cell doors seem rigid enough to withstand shipping. The main reason latches and hooks have been a problem is because they flex a particularly rigid plastic along the build layer lines. ABS is going to be more flexible plus I can "vapor smoothen" it with an acetone evaporation chamber which should further improve results. This doesn't really have a thin flexing part. The protrusions are really short and made up of multiple criss-crossed layers.

...and, yes, I can always send another. :)

Other recent clip/latch/hook fails:
wi9MrGKl.jpg

unUDMAQ.jpg

Famicom Eject lever

DobXza3l.jpg

N0vyuSTl.jpg

N64 Memory Expansion door

https://imgur.com/a/m0Mc8 (gallery)

And does it have plasticizers. We can't forget about that.
Good question. The white stuff is the roll that came with my printer. I don't know much about it but my understanding is that you have to go out of your way to get it without plasticizer (for food use?). The black stuff is the cheapest I could find to experiment with but at least I know the brand (Inland) so I'll look it up.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
cool work man. You'll definitely want to try ABS for making anything that needs to flex. PLA is nice and hard but almost instantly breaks when it flexes. ABS (Lego plastic for anyone not into 3d printing) is a bitch to get setup correctly the first time but is much more forgiving when you need to have a part that bends or flexes.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
just dropping by to say that 3D printing is so cool

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Still haven't made an enclosure for printing ABS but I've reprinted a few of my latch/hook fails with the cheap Inland-brand PLA and it actually works well enough for battery doors. I haven't tried to stress them until they fail but they can clip and unclip without breaking. I do have a spool of ABS but everyone says it's not even worth experimenting without having the enclosure to trap heat. That's in the cards.

I used the last of my original spool of PLA on a Gamecube Wireless Wavebird controller battery door. Feels TOO strong but I managed to get it on and off without breaking and it looks nice (not color matched, of course). Didn't need one though since I already had extras from some leaky battery packs I recycled as battery doors.

Necrel

n00b
I would be interested in a sub battery door.
I got a clear NGPC from a friend and the Sub battery door is all chewed up.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would be interested in a sub battery door.
I got a clear NGPC from a friend and the Sub battery door is all chewed up.

I would recommend grabbing the STL file from thingiverse, and seeing if your local library has a 3d printer. Most of them are starting to add them.

If that doesn't work, i do have a 3d printer.

Last edited:

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have purchased from someone off ebay and also used the local library so nice to have this option