X-Men Vs SF scrambled backgrounds.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
I have this XVSF japanese board that has already been phoenixed by Razoola (I sent him the eeproms) which shows glitched backgrounds, character sprites look fine, sound is ok too, at first I thought it was a jumper problem, but it seems this not the case, I have also been told that it could be PAL-F (tyranix95) so this is what I have tried so far:

-checked and double checked the jumpers which are like this:

C= closed
O= open

COOC CO OCCOCO COCOCOCO COCOCOCO

-swapped the PAL-F,

-tried with another B boards

-when I run the memory check from the service all roms check OK!

picture of the board running:

rRpj9QA.jpg

It is possible that this board is a different version of the game but using different jumper settings?

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Check all the chips and see if they are done all the way. Also check the Pins on the X-Men Board and make sure none of them are bent or broken.

That kind of looks like my Marvel Vs Capcom board that has a broken trace.

Last edited:

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
As I said in the op, I have tried transplating all the chips into other working B boards from other games I have, also tried different PAL-F's, so definitely not a board issue, I have been wondering that it might have something to do with a bad maskrom perhaps?... , even if all of them pass OK! when I run the memory tests?.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Well, off course, like a hundred times since I have been switching b boards, transplanting maskroms/eproms and PALs, changing jumpers etc., and as I said in the op I have also tried many A boards, same issue.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Double check the jumpers, maybe? I've read an issue from someone (XX or Channelmaniac) say the jumpers weren't open due to excessive solder still making a connection, so maybe do a continuity test just to be sure.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Done that too, besides almost none of my boards have those solder bubbles on the closed jumpers, they have just a factory thin copper trace in the center, which means the board have never been converted from other game by Capcom.

Last edited:

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Did you double check the EPROMs you put in and make sure none of the legs are sticking out or crunched? Has this game ever been working correctly?

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
The game was working, I got this board in 2001-2002 I believe, never changed its battery so it died, the eproms were sent to Razoola in 2012?, but as you said, it could be that one of the eproms got damaged on its way back to me, or maybe its one the masks that is bad, even if all of them check OK! when I ran the memory test in the service menu, I don't have a eprom programmer to check them either, the one I have connects to the PC through the LPT port and I don't have my old WinXP computer anymore.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Cheapest option is probably to hunt down a crappy old PC with an LPT port so you can check all the ROMs using your existing programmer.

Outside of that, you might consider getting a Top3000 or GQ-4x programmer as they are quite handy to have for this hobby.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Transplanting mask roms from board to board requires more thought, you just don't slap the mask rom onto another board and expect things to work. I notice you said you did change jumpers on the board you tried to swamp the roms to, did you check with a multimeter the connection. Also was this board wired for a pal F

Last edited:

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
The B boards I chose to move the chips were all PAL-F: X-Men Cota, MSH and another X-Men VS SF.