Thread: Just picked up a "junk" Japanese AES. Power specs? Other questions too...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kuroko's Training Dummy

Just picked up a "junk" Japanese AES. Power specs? Other questions too...

I'm a tinkerer who generally prefers to buy broken and repair myself rather than pay full price for stuff.

I just picked up my first AES from Japan and was about to tear into it when I realized that the original rubber feet had never been touched and the rest looks immaculate. The feet are kinda spongy and I know I would damage them if I removed them unnecessarily. I figure I'd better hold off on that until at least getting a Japanese AES game to test in it, especially after the "junk" white Sega Saturn and black Sega Virtua Gun I recently bought for 780 and 50 Yen both ended up working perfectly.

It seems to be a newer model that takes the 5W 9v POW3 power supply. I think that's about 2A and I definitely have a few 9v PSUs around that can handle it. Unfortunately the wiki does not tell me the polarity. I know that most Japanese consoles of the era were center-negative. Is that the case here as well?

Being "junk" it didn't come with AV cables or a joystick either but I have created functional joysticks using the Neo-Geo X Gold replicas and an extension cable. For the AV, can I get by with a Genesis model 1 AV cable? If so, I still won't have a game to test. I seem to recall hearing that I should get a blue screen if I boot without a game cartridge and any other color indicates a fault. Is this correct?

I can tell by peeking in the cartridge slot that the original Japanese BIOS hasn't been touched and the cart connector looks like new except for the Japanese pubic hair I found inside. Wish I were joking! If what I can't see inside looks as good as what I can see everywhere else then I expect it to look like new everywhere else inside.

The listing described that it doesn't power on but I've heard of several people buying junk/defective/not-working AES consoles and finding that it's not true for them... they boot up with some other problem. Can't test this until I get those adapter specs and but I'm curious to see if history repeats itself.
    -El Duderino (not into the whole "brevity" thing)

H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay

If you don't want to take apart your AES, there's a two step program you can use.

Step 1: Test with a 5v 3a PSU (probably center negative polarity, hard to find I know)
    Step 2: If the above fails or results in a dim garbled screen, test with a 9v 1a PSU (SMS, Genesis, FC and SFC are good examples)

Don't try it the other way, a 9v PSU into a 5v AES system will likely damage it.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMachineGun View Post
    If you don't want to take apart your AES, there's a two step program you can use.

Step 1: Test with a 5v 3a PSU (probably center negative polarity, hard to find I know)
    Step 2: If the above fails or results in a dim garbled screen, test with a 9v 1a PSU (SMS, Genesis, FC and SFC are good examples)

Don't try it the other way, a 9v PSU into a 5v AES system will likely damage it.
    Thanks. I can actually see the motherboard designation through the cartridge slot: 3-6. Is that enough to know what PSU to use? I thought the "POW3" designation already pointed to 9v but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

Edit: Ordered what I need to reverse the polarity on my current 5.5x2.1mm DC5v 3A solution. It's actually a microUSB adapter intended for Arduinos and Raspberry Pi and such with a barrel adapter pigtail. I've got other pigtails for JST connectors and such so it's a pretty flexible solution.
    Last edited by CZroe; 09-06-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    -El Duderino (not into the whole "brevity" thing)

H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay

The board revision means nothing, people have found various Neo board revisions that had both 9v and 5v configurations.

www.jamma-nation-x.com has a picture guide for the Neo Geo PRO-POW specifications.

The Genesis AV cable will be difficult to fit, but might be okay just for testing.

King's Dry Cleaner

I do see ebay listings for about 12.00 third party power supplies, I can't comment on the quality but assuming HeavyMahineGun had the right order to test the console with you're not out too much money if it doesn't work. Is there a sticker on the bottom of the unit?

Thread Information