MV1C - Works with older games; others like metal slug reset constantly?

Spicules

n00b
MV1C - ONE SLOT:

This board one resets with certain games; others - works fine.

I see this with my 161-1 ; and my only other MVS cart (Metal Slug X)

Metal Slug X - resets upon booting to title screen.

Many of the old games on the 161-1 work fine - I've played Robo Army, Viewpoint, Crossed Swords, etc. - no problem.

Ive tested my carts in my other single working MVS - they both work fine. All games, all the way through Metal Slug X

I've tried cleaning contacts, checking the voltage - using the boards in another machine, etc. - no dice.

Kinda Stumped here -
Someone suggested checking the connections from the contacts to the CPU maybe? Like for broken traces or something?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So to clarify, MSX just isn't working on the MV1C but works on your other mobo just fine?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
See if clearing the backup RAM helps out.

Spicules

n00b
So to clarify, MSX just isn't working on the MV1C but works on your other mobo just fine?

That's correct - the 161 and Metal Slug X work fine on my other MVS board.

But on the board in question, some of the 161 games work and others reset constantly. Metal Slug X is one of those games that resets on the 161 and it also does the same thing with the original cart.

Spicules

n00b
I looked at the boqrd and didn't see any corrosion. Battery does look old; board looks a little dirty.

I've already tried cleaning the contacts with a spray contact cleaner and moving the cart in and out.

I'll try again and clearing the memory.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What Bios are you running, stock or Unibios 3.3?

Spicules

n00b
It has the stock bios.

I have cleaned, and re-cleaned, and re-cleaned with a contact-cleaner spray and inserting the cart. I really don't think its a dirty slot. The board is pretty clean now too.

One thing that is weird is that it will sometimes boot the newer games, but some of the sprites are shifted right or left. You can play for a bout 2-3 seconds before it resets. MOving the character, they will "teleport" over a few inches when moving, similar to how the sprites / art is shifted to the right. IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

Last edited:

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Blindly spraying contact cleaner in the slot will not make it perfectly clean, you need something to scrub the pins like a soft bristle tooth brush, as well as try a solution like rubbing alcohol or Deoxit. Also, give your carts a good cleaning with some q-tips.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I mentioned this in another thread but I had similar issues with my CMVS that uses the MV1C. I thought everything was clean as I always used alcohol on my carts and the slot, however using Deoxit D5 contact cleaner on everything and cleaning them properly yielded lots of grime on what I thought was clean. All previously random resets are history :)

Spicules

n00b
Blindly spraying contact cleaner in the slot will not make it perfectly clean, you need something to scrub the pins like a soft bristle tooth brush, as well as try a solution like rubbing alcohol or Deoxit. Also, give your carts a good cleaning with some q-tips.

I'm not just spraying cleaner in there and hoping for the best.

The first things I did was what was mentioned in this post:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=208167

- Using credit card w/ alcohol & soft cloth

- Using contact cleaner w/ cart repeatedly inserting and removing to cause friction

- contact cleaner with medium bristled brush.

The 161-1 I got brand new in box a couple months ago, and the metal slug I cleaned thoroughly when I got it. Took them apart, inspected again, and they are both spotless. Cleaned them with alcohol anyway.

Still have the problem - some (newer) games work with distorted sprites, some older games work perfect, and others (newer) reset shortly after loading.

A strong possibility is that you aren't getting enough power. The newer games tend to draw more power and if the voltage drops beyond a certain minimum, the board resets. I suspect it's simply because there are more components. I would check your power supply. Interestingly, wire gauge makes a difference when it comes to available current. Get larger gauge wires.

You could research the forums on MVS PSU topics, e.g.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?178208-Neo-Geo-MVS-Power-Supply-Question

I'll be posting a topic on a recent fix I did on an AES where I faced this as an ancillary issue.

Last edited:

Spicules

n00b
I dont think its a power issue. I have another MV1C in that machine and it works fine. I have also put the MV1C board that I'm having trouble with in two other machines and it does the same thing. My other MV1C board works well in those also.