Sega Saturn Bios Chip removal question

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I have a Sega Saturn (USA) model 2 board that I'm planning installing a region free BIOS. How common is it that the oem SMD Bios chip has that glue below it? I've seen videos where the boards either had it or not...so I'm not sure if I need to just cut the pins and pry the chip off or if I can just hot air/chipquick it off.

Link showing the glue:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/sega-saturn-region-free-bios/

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a Sega Saturn (USA) model 2 board that I'm planning installing a region free BIOS. How common is it that the oem SMD Bios chip has that glue below it? I've seen videos where the boards either had it or not...so I'm not sure if I need to just cut the pins and pry the chip off or if I can just hot air/chipquick it off.

Link showing the glue:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/sega-saturn-region-free-bios/

It's most likely not on older versions. SNK did the same thing with the MV1C chips, the newer ones had the glue under them.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Okay, so if I use my hot air station, that should be enough to soften the glue up under the chip to just lift it off, if it's present?

Any pointers on how hot I need to set the hot air? 190°C/395°F...?

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Okay, so if I use my hot air station, that should be enough to soften the glue up under the chip to just lift it off, if it's present?

Yeah the hot air station should make easy work of it. I grab the sides without pins using tweezers and gently pull up as I heat the pins with hot air.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
I recently did a bios swap on my USA Saturn Model 2, It did not have glue. The bios was also on the top side of the board so maybe that was a deciding factor for sega. Also wish i has a hot air station, i just used my iron, desolder braid, flux and a very thin and dull exacto blade to lift each leg off the pad one by one. :P

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I recently did a bios swap on my USA Saturn Model 2, It did not have glue. The bios was also on the top side of the board so maybe that was a deciding factor for sega. Also wish i has a hot air station, i just used my iron, desolder braid, flux and a very thin and dull exacto blade to lift each leg off the pad one by one. :P

I did the Bios Swap tonight. My USA model 2 board had the bios chip on the bottom of the board with no glue on it. Things seem to have gone well as I tested two burned games from different regions and they worked. (The plastic screw holes on my Saturn's power supply broke on both sides, though, so I've gotta glue those before I can finish sealing everything back up.) Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
No problem i was super worried mine had glue on it when i did the mod for the first time