Neo Geo AES , some lines on TV on bios screen halp !

s8n187

Quiz Detective
hi members , i just got this AES and it seems to have a problem i will post a video below. When cold booting a Cart i get some weird lines on the left of my CRT TV. Interestingly if i press reset on the AES the problem isn't there. Seems to be from cold booting only.

I found this problem with a AES Cart so i tried 2 MVS Carts with my Daedalus converter , only 1 of the 2 games did it.

All games tested work just fine no GFX glitches and no sound problems.

btw this AES has never been opened before......

thoughts ?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's a failing part, I had the problem before, I can't remember which one, maybe main video ram. Maybe sync unstable(dirty).

s8n187

Quiz Detective
thanks for your input and help Xi it's appreciated , i think i might return this AES and get a refund.

s8n187

Quiz Detective
hi again , can you tell me more about ' sync unstable(dirty) '. I'm thinking of maybe getting a partial refund and keeping this AES and trying to fix it. If the sync problem is a really tough fix i might go for a full refund , also are Video Rams still available to buy ?

i have re-upped a updated video which is much easier to see the problem.............it happens in both RGB and Composite

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
If its the sync I would suspect it just needs a recap. You could try swapping out the 100uF cap on the sync for a new low ESR 470uF and see if that fixes it.

s8n187

Quiz Detective
roger that Gadget , i'm going to figure out the Lead Spacing and Voltage needed tomorrow and place an order. Also i really enjoy your Youtube videos , i like to kick back with some Vodka and Coke and watch them.

s8n187

Quiz Detective
Caps have arrived , can anyone tell me which of these should i pull out (Sync) ?

see attachment for photo , btw this is a 3-6 AES

Attachments

• Neo 3-6 Sync.jpg
    Neo 3-6 Sync.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30

s8n187

Quiz Detective
hi guys i'm back , i have removed the original 4 Caps and replaced them with new Nichicon ESR Caps from element14. Unfortunately the lines still appear on the left side of my TV , so i proceeded to remove the original BIOS and fit in a Socket. I then put in the Neo Diagnostics BIOS and it comes up as All Tests Passed.

if i'm correct i can do more extensive testing with this BIOS , if so let me know what to do.........