Naomi B/W screen

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
So I've got my Naomi up and running except when I use the harness to encoder all I get is a black n white screen, it looks fine sync wise. VGA works fine when I have the first switch down/up depends on how you look at it.

Here is a pic of the VGA:
vY8P1Cg.jpg

I've toggled the sync switch back and forth on the capcom I/O and has no effect.

Need helps...

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Hillbilly supergun routed to pvm.

NG & CPS2 work fine with color on this set up

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Do you mean the games play in B&W or you get some sort of screen that's just B&W garbage? Are you able to check voltages? I haven't heard of voltage issues causing no color, but the NAOMI is sensitive.

Edit: Just come into chat.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
The picture is fine, except it's just black and white.

VGA is fine, great color picture.

Here's da screen:

XmYmjuY.jpg

PS...the video is going through an encoder (s-video) then to the pvm (no rgb)

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
(s-video)

That changes everything. Svideo is 2 signals, one black and white, and one for color diff. So your s-vid encoder, cable, or input isn't connecting the chroma. You're getting luma (brightness) but no chroma (colors).

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Even if other Janna stuff works fine?

Let me try the composite out...

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Even if other Janna stuff works fine?

Let me try the composite out...

If other JAMMA stuff works, and the VGA cable you're running from the NAOMI to the IO is tested on a working VGA monitor, in theory that kind of leaves the capcom IO. While I would think the problem is s-vid related due to the picture, I'd still want to test the capcom IO on a JAMMA monitor if I could. If the IO works fine on another monitor, then it's gotta be something with supergun in that case.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
If other JAMMA stuff works, and the VGA cable you're running from the NAOMI to the IO is tested on a working VGA monitor, in theory that kind of leaves the capcom IO. While I would think the problem is s-vid related due to the picture, I'd still want to test the capcom IO on a JAMMA monitor if I could. If the IO works fine on another monitor, then it's gotta be something with supergun in that case.

The IO is going to pass RGB though... in what case would it result in a BW picture? Maybe if the R/G/B outputs were all shorted together?

I suspect it could be a timing issue, like the Naomi video signal doesn't get the colorburst inserted at the right time or something. Does the same signal path work with a different S-video TV/monitor?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Think I figured it out. I forgot I had a jamma-nation-x Stryder encoder. Wired it up and now I have color via cga! Pretty sweet encoder with inline pots on rgb, too bad he doesn't make them any mo.

Should have thought harder before I ordered dat jrok.

Thanks skate & James.

ayv4Ck8.jpg

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Awesome! Enjoy! I need to grab myself a jrok at some point to have on hand.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
FYI, jrok confirms the first encoder was not playing nice...