Samurai Shodown V Special definitive version on PS4 and VIta with online

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It didn't happen with other SNK online fighting games, it ain't happening with this one. Truth is, the only games that get active online play are Capcom's. The only time I saw a SNK game get activity online was Fatal Fury Special on XBL competing against Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting, both games had comparable netcode, not the best but not the worse, once HDRemix came out everyone migrated there, then the rest came and everyone parted ways, some stayed. Even after all of this, not al lot of action for later SNK releases like Samsho II, MOTW, NGBC, KOFsUMseries, etc...

Edit: The Guilty Gear series has been doing relatively well online, specially the newer series, XRD is going strong. Same for Namco with Tekken and Soulcaibur. Of course VF still gets played online, but go right now and log into any SNK game online and find matches, at less it's on fightcade you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Samurai Shodown II had a dedicated following on XBox360 for a while, and I did play FFS online on Xbox360 too.

well people can still make the most of SSVS online while it's active, even if it's just first day or week or month, it's still new competitive experiences with the game.
it is balanced and competitive enough. if overrated broken games like mvc2 get played competitively, so can SSV Special.

also, KOFXIV is still played online depending on the time of day, it has the best netcode in the series, and the PSN community aspect of PS4 has brought more people together for games online.

maybe some major SSVS fans will start a PSN community for the game, even with 1v1 lobbies and no spectating, people can still expand their network of players seeking players for it.

with The Last Blade 2 it's understandable, because TLB2 is underrated, but Samurai Shodown could be a different case and is more recognizable internationally, plus it has the blood/gore feature that can attract more fans. I'd say Samurai Shodown is the one series that could rival KOF's popularity, and maybe even surpass it depending how its supported moving forward.

now it makes sense why they didnt simply port SS Anthology to PS4, they wanted to do something better with SSV Special instead of SSV preceding it in the modern market.
well not sure if TGS might reveal Samurai Shodown 7, but think Nakoruru's addition to KOFXIV, could mean SNK may be planning to test the modern industry for Samurai Shodown franchise.
they say they have multiple projects, and Samurai Shodown could be one of them. SSVS could be that next step.

well, KOFXV is still too early, and Garou already proven to not be so appealing since KOF is basically Garou's and AOF's successor and higher standard,

while Samurai Shodown is in a league of its own.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Sam Sho V had the 2nd weakest player base for online original xbox (KOF Max Impact was by far the worst and yes I played SSV a lot online). SVC Chaos, KOF '02, and KOF '03 were way more popular.

I'm sure more people will play then Last Blade 2, but it won't even come near Garou matches and that is pretty sparse.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Obsolete games only exist in your imagination. Because there are always people playing these still.

Following this logic, also masterpieces exist only in our imagination. Only because there are "people", who'll still criticize them in spite of being ones? Ever heard of something like consent?

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I hope this spurs SNK to make a new Samurai Shodown game.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
masterpieces

Sorry not sure i fully get it mate. A "masterpiece" as in art, would be mostly subjective anyway? One man's crap is another man's treasure. Where as it can be objectively said that people on fightcade, or wherever in the world still play older versions of samsho or street fighter, since the latest update doesn't resonate very well with them. The ongoing retro games trend leads the obsolete-games concept ad absurdum. There are no obsolete games, even if the games industry would like you to think otherwise.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Sorry not sure i fully get it mate. A "masterpiece" as in art, would be mostly subjective anyway?

We're talking video games, right? Then let's say Rondo is considered a masterpiece and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is obsolete. Following your logic, there's neither an obsolete game, nor a masterpiece, as long as someone is playing/liking, respectively not playing/criticizing, that particular game.

In my opinion, a general consent is decisive in this regard and not the view of a few.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Sam Sho V had the 2nd weakest player base for online original xbox (KOF Max Impact was by far the worst and yes I played SSV a lot online). SVC Chaos, KOF '02, and KOF '03 were way more popular.

I'm sure more people will play then Last Blade 2, but it won't even come near Garou matches and that is pretty sparse.

Xbox was barely when console online gaming became a thing. and Xbox brand in general is populated with xenophobic consumers, that brand was never successful in Japan, and not the platform of choice for people that like Japanese games and fighting games in general. Playstation has always been the most popular brand for fighting games from PS1 onward. and PS4 has a greater playerbase than Nintendo and Microsoft platforms combined (even early access games like ARK Survival Evolved sell more and are played more on consoles compared to PC, Star Wars Battlefront is another example, with PS4 having the highest playerbase).

http://www.businessinsider.com/ps4-playstation-4-sales-june-2017-8

Plus combined PS4 and Vita ability to crossplay with SSV Special, it has a greater chance for a more active playerbase than any other platform. the only exception is the PC fightcade group, since they are hardcore with SSV Special, however, the amount of SSV Special owners on PS4 can outnumber PC players on SSV Special.

it's really in the hands of the fanbase to form PSN community like other games have done (Friday the 13th The Game massively benefits from PSN communities, quickplay isn't as effecient compared to inviting/joining people posting on the community wall).

yes chances are the online scene will drop quickly like other SNK games, however that's due to the fickle dedication of the fanbase, not the game's fault. and whiners of lag have no credibility, since lag exists in all fighting games online, that hasn't pushed loyal Street Fighter fans from playing SFV, nor fans from playing DOA5 LR (which DOA fans still play DOA5LR online to this day overall, still several lobbies exist at a time).

overall, SSV Special on PS4 and Vita is still a awesome thing,
and this masterpiece would still be uncared for and ignored if it wasn't for the port that's coming today on those platforms.
there could new fans of the game that could play it longer than even those that played it in arcades.

the genre is pick up and play, so it's great SSV Special has found a new home on PS4 and Vita

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6603-samurai-shodown-v-special

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
PS3 &4 Does not have a lot of SNK support. Most of the people in the far east play on the PC, not console. The only game I saw that got them to play in droves is KOF XIII because there wasn't a pc version.

Since OG xbox days thru 360, SNK has given a lot of exclusives to them with online play. It had developed quite the community for a sec though it is pretty much gone since most have migrated to the pc now.

Btw been playing SSVS the past couple days and what I thought would happen did. People mostly play boss or broken tier level characters that are a bitch to do anything against. Might be interesting to see how long the new blood will put up w/ the horseshit.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Btw been playing SSVS the past couple days and what I thought would happen did. People mostly play boss or broken tier level characters that are a bitch to do anything against. Might be interesting to see how long the new blood will put up w/ the horseshit.

Wow... playing online sounds bad. I still haven't been able to join a room or get matchmaking to work. I play Injustice 2 a lot online so no problem with my Internet set up that I know of. Based on my experiences with Garou online, I will stay away and just stick to local multiplayer.

I plugged in my nice Hori VF High Grade stick and it worked! Instantly! So awesome.

Visually it looks great on my TV. I have no complaints about how it feels so far.

Unfortunately with the non-Neo Geo crowd I don't really see this game gaining much traction. This is the only online place I can see people talking about it and frankly.. the single player is BRUTAL. I love it, but I can't imagine anyone who has never played the series turning it on and having a great time (unless they are AWESOME). I would love to be wrong about that, but just can't see it happening.

So far.. I'm thrilled with this game finally out on PS4 and Vita. I have a lot of good memories of playing this with some neo-geo.com forum members in my shitty small apartment for hours on end on MVS. Reliving those with less beer.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
it's a case by case basis. not everyone is cheap online, and not everyone lags, even some players tolerate some lag more than others.
SSV Special is very appreciate on PS4 and Vita. and a lot of awesome matches are being experienced that players otherwise would not have played. most console gamers don't care for PC gaming nor have a PC or neogeo. SSV Special on PS4/Vita for less than $20 is a outstanding deal, and the only way most on PS4/Vita would care to play the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKgpBjO6bU

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTKwaxo3BD5Ph4NETPhIMSUDiS5qcNUX9

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Wow... playing online sounds bad. I still haven't been able to join a room or get matchmaking to work. I play Injustice 2 a lot online so no problem with my Internet set up that I know of. Based on my experiences with Garou online, I will stay away and just stick to local multiplayer.

Only accept matches under 100m/s and you'll be fine. You're better off playing now because the players are in abundance then waiting. Besides you can play Arcade mode while waiting. Also it was on sale when I picked it up. ($11.99 rather then $15)

Except for having to keep it under 100m/s for decent matches it's another good port from Code Mystics. I don't feel the extra lag from the MOTW port they had to patch out. Though in all honesty I don't play SSVS nearly as much.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Only accept matches under 100m/s and you'll be fine. You're better off playing now because the players are in abundance then waiting. Besides you can play Arcade mode while waiting. Also it was on sale when I picked it up. ($11.99 rather then $15)

Except for having to keep it under 100m/s for decent matches it's another good port from Code Mystics. I don't feel the extra lag from the MOTW port they had to patch out. Though in all honesty I don't play SSVS nearly as much.

Cool! Thank you for the pro tips. Next time I play Arcade Mode I'll set it up this way. Nothing better than playing Sam Sho games 2 players.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member

I took your advice. Just played with a guy who was playing a VERY GOOD Charlotte. Dude whooped my ass. We played for a good hour or so and it was the most fun I've had playing a fighting game online ... probably ever. I'll definitely try to play more. The tip about playing people with under 100 ping was spot on.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I took your advice. Just played with a guy who was playing a VERY GOOD Charlotte. Dude whooped my ass. We played for a good hour or so and it was the most fun I've had playing a fighting game online ... probably ever. I'll definitely try to play more. The tip about playing people with under 100 ping was spot on.

Glad you had fun. I've had some luck finding good players who whoop my ass legitimately without resorting to B.S.. It reminds me a lot of SVC Chaos. Stay away from the shenanigans and the game is lots of fun.

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
I been having a hard time finding players with low ping since am in Peru, finally found one guy in Chile and with 55ping, we played a few rounds, its fun as fuck

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I broke down and bought this as well as the other recent Vita releases. On one hand it felt silly to pay for yet another digital copy of these games, on the other, the games look absolutely fantastic on the Vita's OLED screen. A wide grip attachment for the system makes the game controls more comfortable as well.

Not sure about netplay yet. If/when I get a PS4 it will be nice to know I have a few games on my download list out of the box due to the cross buy too.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Just wanted to update the thread and alert saner that this may no longer be the definitive version.