Neo Geo CD issues. Where to start?

Hi guys and gals!

I've just acquired a Neo Geo CD unit which at the moment will not power on. The person I got it from didn't have a correct power supply for it and has been using a HP printer cable which has the same connector but on what would be the 10V 2A line is 12V 1A.

I've since ordered a correct supply so until that gets here I'm unable to test it any further.

Second issue is that when he got the unit it aparantly could play Music CDs but not Games.

Wondering how to go about this. Could it just be the lens being dirty or a issue with the motor not moving to the right point to read the disc?

I'm hoping that's all to it and it's a easy fix.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Could just need a new laser which are readily available. I'd start there if it's having issues playing discs.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I'm more amazed at the hp psu having a simpler connector. Did you check the board for damage inside due to cracked solder joints or using the wrong PSU.

I'm more amazed at the hp psu having a simpler connector. Did you check the board for damage inside due to cracked solder joints or using the wrong PSU.

Yeah I checked everything over with continuity and seems perfectly fine, unless something else has gone I'm not even sure.

SSD018-1000 is the model number for the Printer Power Supply. Perfect for a quick repair job for bust pins or custom jobs. About $10 for one.

So after having a look deeper in the whole power issues it turns out D1 on the 10V line has fried itself either during me testing it or the prior owner. Now just need to find the SR320 and get it in the system to test it again.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yeah I checked everything over with continuity and seems perfectly fine, unless something else has gone I'm not even sure.

SSD018-1000 is the model number for the Printer Power Supply. Perfect for a quick repair job for bust pins or custom jobs. About $10 for one.

The printer PSU is not the same pinout as the NGCD, iirc you have to swap the 5v and gnd pins on it.

But for the laser question, when he said that he could play CDs and not games, did he mean he couldn't play burned games? Burned games are multi-media and not a straight data burn like a lot of people think.